WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You can buy chicken gizzard, heart, liver, drumstick normally less than $1 a pound when they are on sale. When buy in bulk, they are usually around $0.50/lb at my local Asian supermarkets. I would broil them before I dehydrate them. For around $100 you can get a really high quality dehydrator.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey neighbor,

I go to our new local pet store "pet supplies plus" on Atlantic there next to La fitness. They carry Orijen/Acana food which used to be Canadian based and therefore met a higher European standard of dog food. They now have a new facility in the U.S. and prices have dropped. It is still expensive, but I believe it to be better than other brand's portrayed as high end (ie blue buffalo/totw ).

I feed my husky six fish /5 fish bags, they smell nice and fishy . big box stores/ petsmart don't carry orijen .

I haven't done all the research in a while but I thought id shout out pet supplies plus, owner Brian seems to be an honest hard worker.

I found it on the calorie counter link , 480 cal. per cup.
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

I get Orijen from Chewey.com

The only one my dog hasn't gotten tired of in short order. Hi cal (450 kcal per cup), no grain, no digestion issues.

(edit: duh, I replied and didn't see the post immediately above... suffice to say we agree, lol)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-18-2017 at 11:40.

Zach, Thx I go there also....I'll have to check out the Acana foods as 450-480 is about 100 cal more per cup than taste of the wild fish....I'll also check prices on Chewey.co......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/thrive

I mix 1/2 dehydrated (chicken and quinoa has high protein) with 1/2 kibble. It cuts down on the weight a bit. The only down side it its wicked expensive!

How about adding PB to dry food for the extra calories? I know my dog loves PB. Maybe talk to a vet about how much you can add?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I'd look into what mushers feed their sled dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I'd look into what mushers feed their sled dogs.
    From what I've read it's mostly raw fish, fat and meat w lil kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    How about adding PB to dry food for the extra calories? I know my dog loves PB. Maybe talk to a vet about how much you can add?
    Yep I plan to give him some daily...nice lil boost.

My vet recommended puppy chow. More calories than the regular. Not as many as some of the stuff mentioned, but not nearly as expensive. That said, my dog is still losing weight...

Hill Packing Company (later to become Hill's Science Diet) formulated a dog food called Military Stress Diet 198 that was used by the Army in Vietnam for their working dogs. The diets that had been used up to then where not adequate to meet the nutritional requirements for the military working dogs. Later Hill's began to sell this food to the public as Science Diet. Now Hill's sells dozens of different pet foods but their work on Military Stress Diet 198 was the foundation of their business. Science Diet Active is the modern version of that original diet. If it could keep weight on a scout dog patrolling in the jungles of Vietnam it should work pretty well for a hiking dog. Read the original report here http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/735647.pdf
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Hill Packing Company (later to become Hill's Science Diet) formulated a dog food called Military Stress Diet 198 that was used by the Army in Vietnam for their working dogs. The diets that had been used up to then where not adequate to meet the nutritional requirements for the military working dogs. Later Hill's began to sell this food to the public as Science Diet. Now Hill's sells dozens of different pet foods but their work on Military Stress Diet 198 was the foundation of their business. Science Diet Active is the modern version of that original diet. If it could keep weight on a scout dog patrolling in the jungles of Vietnam it should work pretty well for a hiking dog. Read the original report here http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/735647.pdf
    Very interesting read! Loads of info! Thx for sharing...

Pride Dog food has been manufactured at facility in Ashland, Ky for nearly 30 years. (http://thepridedogfood.com/index.php) Has no soy, grains, false ingredients. Have used this brand for years for farming dogs from 8 to 130 lbs. Small amount to feed and very little "excreted waste". Available most Ace Hardware stores in the south and at Farm and feed supply stores. Specs for The Pride 31/22 Performance Dog Food Nutritional Info

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein Not Less Than 31.0% Ash Not More Than 5.50%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 22.0% *Omega 3 Not Less Than 0.50%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.00% *Omega 6 Not Less Than 3.00%
    Moisture Not More Than 12.0%
    *Not recognized as an essential Nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calorie Content

Calculated Metabolized Energy......524 Kcal/Cup

Adult Feeding Directions

THE PRIDE 31/22 Dog Food may be fed dry or wet. If moistened, wet in proportions of 1 cup of water to 4 cups of dry dog food. The amount to be fed will vary with the size and activity level of the dog. Be sure to provide clean fresh water in a separate bowl at all times.

Breed Size Weight Daily Amount*
    TOY 3 - 12 lb 1/2 - 1 Cup
    SMALL 13 - 25 lb 1 - 1 1/2 Cups
    MEDIUM 26 - 50 lb 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 Cups
    LARGE 51 - 100 lb 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 Cups
    EXTRA LG 100 lb Plus 4 1/2 Cups Plus 1/2 Cup per 10 lb over 100

Both the dog's and your food can be supplemented with coconut oil to raise the caloric and nutritional content. It's not just to raise the calories for Fido.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...good-for-dogs/
    https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/...fits-and-risks

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looking to up my dogs calories for future trips...kibble or freeze dry.

Try olive oil - huge calorie boost per ounce.

The Honest Kitchen is a fantastic option.

I emailed them about a year ago regarding my dog's weight and how we were going out for sixty days. Their recommendations were spot on. It's dehydrated dog food and weighs a quarter of the weight of commercial. I wouldn't recommend carrying green powder through the airport so I mailed it instead, lol.

For my seventy pound Rhodesian Ridgeback crossed with AmStaff and Australian Cattle Dog, he maintained a stable weight. Of course, I fed him as much as he would eat every night which generally required a liter of water mixed in to make the mush. It becomes more solid after a few minutes. Except for 48 degree gusty winds on Roan Mountain, it still mixed well with cool water. Roan Mountain, I heated his water since I wouldn't want to eat cold food in cold weather. For his feet I just used Mushers Wax. We made 430 miles with this formula.

I remember seeing an article about Alaskan sled dogs, where the ones fed vegetarian couldn't finish the Iditarod... Healthy dog nutrition seems to require animal protein and fat, not fruits, vegetables, or legumes. I asked my doctor (well known in diet/exercise circles) about this and he said he only gives his dogs Meat.

So, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, just do what's been done for thousands of years. Encourage their ability to burn fat for energy, and to use protein for muscle and organ repair. And when you've done thinking about your dog, think about whether to fuel yourself for long-distance endurance with carbs or fat...

http://www.wildernessclassroom.com/f...the-sled-dogs/
    Last edited by RockDoc; 11-22-2019 at 21:46.

Here's an interesting study in which dogs were allowed to choose what they like. They select fat and protein (52% Fat, 44 % Protein, 4% Carbs). The amount of carbs that they select is not significant, sort of funny considering that most commercial kibble is 45-60% carbs from grains.

Macronutrient intake of dogs, self‐selecting diets varying in composition offered ad libitum

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/jpn.12794

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    From what I've read it's mostly raw fish, fat and meat w lil kibble.
    Hey Salty - I read this OLD thread and nobody really nailed it. Get a cheese slicer (wire kind) and open a can of low sodium SPAM cut it up into nice slices. Stick on a Harvest Food Dryer for 4 hours rotating once or twice the tray from top to bottom. Ultra light - high in quality fat and a hell of an easy treat.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You could try and see if there is someone local that has a harvest right freeze dryer I have 2 Machines and make all my own dog food
    I know if we had someone local needing help as long as they pay for their food and the operation of the machine I would work with them good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++