WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default water in mass for southwestern section into connecticut

Hi hiking next week. It has been dry in Ma and wondering about water availability in Ma, preferably south of rt 23 and into northern Ct. Thanks a lot tenlots

Quote Originally Posted by tenlots View Post
    Hi hiking next week. It has been dry in Ma and wondering about water availability in Ma, preferably south of rt 23 and into northern Ct. Thanks a lot tenlots
    As of last week, small creeks were dry from about Rt 7 (I presume this is true for most of the rest of western MA, even in the lowland marshes where water looked pretty stagnant were it could be seen). Only reliable water was at Guilder Pond going up Everett, Sages Ravine at the CT/MA line, and Brassie Brook.

Traveler - heading NB from RT 20 next week. Any Intel on water from RT 20 to VT? Thanks.

I've not been on trails in that area for a while, so I've no direct knowledge unfortunately. Northern CT into MA is experiencing a moderate to severe drought currently though (precipitation is down about 16" since January 2015), which has dried up a lot of surface water sources. I would plan to carry some water weight with you until you find there is enough water around you don't need to carry much.

Thanks Traveler

FYI to other MA hikers - Berkshires AMC advises that water sources are available at October Mountain and Kay Wood Shelters; Crystal Mountain may be iffy but Gore Pond is .5 miles north.

Water was good throughout. Had to use a ziplock to scoop but flowing.

++ New Posts ++