WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Bladder from Dunkin' Donuts Box O'Joe

Some of us (me and Geek anyway) miss the simple water bags that Stearns use to make. Mine is about 15 years old and on it's second plastic liner bag. Add the shower attachment and it serves its' purpose. Shower bag.jpg As with most stuff, if it's too simple they stop making it. When I need water storage in dry camps or base camp I've done this: Get yourself an empty Dunkin's Box O'Joe. I collect them at a local park after a company picnic or such. They are sold as serving 10 cups of coffee. Box O’Joe.jpg After you remove the cardboard box part you will find a Mylar bag inside, kinda folded up. Laid out flat it measures 20"x 10" There is some easy to remove glue on the bag to remove also. 20 inches X 10.jpg The bags have a push and twist to open cap like found on fuel cans. None have leaked on me yet. Twist cap.jpgopen cap.jpg When filled as full as they can be the bags hold 1- 1/2 gallon of water. Something hard to do on the trail. I have also used them partially filled as a pillow. Take care when opening a full bag, the pressure will cause to water to gush out. I'm working on a valve to fit them. full bladder.jpg An empty bag weighs in at just 2 ounces. Folded bag.jpgWeighs 2 oz.jpg Now if I can sew a nylon hanging cover and find a shower hose that fits I'll be a happy camper.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I swear the page didn't look that sloppy before I posted it.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

I had a couple of those older water bags/carrier.They worked great and weighed not much either.I guess they couldn't make much money from these things so they quit selling them....

Images

Great Idea i love finding out multiple uses for free stuff
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

If you've still got that old Stearns bag, you're all set except for sewing the hanging cover.

Take a spare cap from one of the mylar bags, drill it out and use the shower hose complete with shut off clip and spray head.

Without the old Stearns bag to take parts from, W/M sells those heavy plastic camp shower things that have the hose and spray head. The bags don't make it too long before they start to leak but the hose assembly will last for years.

The bladders out of 5 l wine boxes also make good water bladers.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

WM, thanks for the advice, didn't realize that Dunkin Doughnuts used these types of bags. I've been trying to find a mylar bladder but I wasn't going to buy 5L of wine to get it, now it looks like my boss is going to supply a free one next time he buys us coffee.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-02-2011 at 23:15. Reason: My inability to proofread
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    If you've still got that old Stearns bag, you're all set except for sewing the hanging cover.

Take a spare cap from one of the mylar bags, drill it out and use the shower hose complete with shut off clip and spray head.

Without the old Stearns bag to take parts from, W/M sells those heavy plastic camp shower things that have the hose and spray head. The bags don't make it too long before they start to leak but the hose assembly will last for years.
    Although the old Stearns bag has many years and many trail night both hiking and biking on it, I still use it and the shower. I won't be taking any parts off of it yet.

The spout on the Stearns goes over the outside of the opening, it leaks in a part open position if I put it on the Box O'Joe bag. I'll find something laying around somewhere or Wally's. There's always the hose off one of those hot water bag enemas they sell. LOL

I still have another back up liner on for the Starns bag also, might get another 5 years out of it.

Shower bag.jpgstearns liner.JPG

I have two of the Stearns Outdoors water carriers (purchased from Campmor) and am desperately looking for replacement rubber valves.

One is good, and one leaks.

Anyone know of a source for these?

e

I did find a website that has the same style bag for $15.

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgea...waterbags.html

Is there an edit function?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Now if I can sew a nylon hanging cover and find a shower hose that fits I'll be a happy camper.
    You don't need to sew a hanging cover if you own a vacuum sealer.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post965497

I've been using one for close to two years and it's holding up really well.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

2 ounces is really good. I occasionally carry that much water, so I'm definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The bladders out of 5 l wine boxes also make good water bladers.
    I have got 5 3l wine bladders in my pack right now (filled with H20)... they make up my training weights...

They get 5-7 miles EVERY night, and none have leaked yet.

++ New Posts ++