WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Collapsible / Soft titanium or stainless water bottle?

Is there such a thing as a soft bottle made of titanium or stainless? I don't want to taste plastic anymore.

I belive there are several, a quick Google search brought up this one:
    https://keego.at/products/the-bottle?lang=de

Only 90 grams and wide mouth! Excellent. But I was hoping for something collapsible. I only want to have one container with a large volume: a pot. Vargo makes a titanium bottle pot. But specifically am looking for a bladder like these, only instead of plastic, made of thin titanium or stainless sheets:
    platy_softbottle_2020_group.jpg

Carbon can filter out plastic, so if there is a BeFree filter bottle that contains carbon, I'm in.

This might work, but it's kind of silly to add a filter to filter out the plastic taste, when the bladder could just not be plastic.
    https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/268-80...bottle-adaptor

Images

Here ya go.....Rubber Canteen

quote:

A very good example of the rubber canteen that was introduced in 1944, after the Japanese Army had decreed that any of its equipment that was made from aluminum (such as canteens) could thereafter be temporarily made from other suitable materials, such as rubber, porcelain, or leather. The rubber Army canteen was the result of this effort to conserve the precious aluminum for the war effort. The canteen is complete with its original rubber stopper and the full carrying harness. The canteen shows the typical collapsed shape for this piece of equipment, a condition that always developed as a result of the poor quality of rubber that the military was forced to use at that point in the war.

https://griffinmilitaria.com/product/japanese-army-last-ditch-rubber-canteen/

https://griffinmilitaria.com/product...ubber-canteen/

https://www.gear-illustration.com/20...ed-cover-1967/

Images

Leather Flask Rubber Bladder Hiking Travel Canteen Authentic Spain Not Used NICE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Flask-Rubber-Bladder-Hiking-Travel-Canteen-Authentic-Spain-Not-Used-NICE-/254500784811

I just can’t imagine how a metal container could both collapse and hold water.

Maybe a waterproof fabric bag? Dynmea perhaps? Body seems like it would be easy enough. Opening tricky

MSR makes cloth/rubber bladders in many different sizes, as long as i clean them out at the end of the hike I have never had any bad taste from them. Wide mouthed and my goto water container, can fill at the end of the day, have enough for evening meal and breakfast the next morning and fill the water bottle for the day. Carry it empty unless I need to haul water over a dry stretch. Has lasted almost 15 years with out a leak and it has been used as a pillow a couple of times. Wide mouth attaches to the filter for easy use. a little more wieght than some of the plastic ones but unlike the plastic ones I have tried it has never failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Leather Flask Rubber Bladder Hiking Travel Canteen Authentic Spain Not Used NICE
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Flask-Rubber-Bladder-Hiking-Travel-Canteen-Authentic-Spain-Not-Used-NICE-/254500784811
    I've owned one of these many years ago, it had a plastic bag inside to make it waterproof and as its impossible to clean it inside properly, it got moldy pretty quick.
    This item is a fake reproduction of the original model made from leather and (swine?) bladder, something nobody would like nowadays.

Images

It was fun searching for a soft metal container :-)

The closest and very viable option I can think of is those Mylar bags that holds the wind in box wine. It does a good job of not flavoring the liquid inside. And, it's really cheap, after you're done drinking the wine. I used to use these all the time before Platypus and the like came out with ready-made light-weight collapsible containers with easier to use caps and nozzles. They were much better for backpacking than those (2 gallon?) LDPE camping cubes that are still sold today.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I didn't like the taste of the water when I used my water bladder, tube, and suction valve. I replaced the bladder with one that is not supposed to give an aftertaste, but realized the valve itself was giving off the bad taste. I switched to bottles, first wide-mouth, now smart water bottles. The only time water tastes like plastic is when I try to use a cap with a snap-open valve. As long as the cap screws off, the water tastes fine. The valve I drank thru caused the bad taste. Look at your set-up. If you are drinking thru a valve, try a screw-on cap instead. It's more of a hassle, but gives you cleaner-tasting water. I also use some aluminum bottles that are shaped like smart water bottles. You can order a case of those from Mountain Valley Water. They do not collapse.

Goatskin.

additional characters

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    MSR makes cloth/rubber bladders in many different sizes, as long as i clean them out at the end of the hike I have never had any bad taste from them. Wide mouthed and my goto water container, can fill at the end of the day, have enough for evening meal and breakfast the next morning and fill the water bottle for the day. Carry it empty unless I need to haul water over a dry stretch. Has lasted almost 15 years with out a leak and it has been used as a pillow a couple of times. Wide mouth attaches to the filter for easy use. a little more wieght than some of the plastic ones but unlike the plastic ones I have tried it has never failed me.
    What I find at the MSR site now is their Dromedary Bags. They are made of PU (polyurethane).

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The closest and very viable option I can think of is those Mylar bags that holds the wind in box wine. It does a good job of not flavoring the liquid inside. And, it's really cheap, after you're done drinking the wine. I used to use these all the time before Platypus and the like came out with ready-made light-weight collapsible containers with easier to use caps and nozzles. They were much better for backpacking than those (2 gallon?) LDPE camping cubes that are still sold today.
    Are these lined with plastic in the interior?liquid-juice-spout-pouch-500x500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Leather Flask Rubber Bladder Hiking Travel Canteen Authentic Spain Not Used NICEhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Flask-Rubber-Bladder-Hiking-Travel-Canteen-Authentic-Spain-Not-Used-NICE-/254500784811

I wonder if they make ultralight versions of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    I didn't like the taste of the water when I used my water bladder, tube, and suction valve. I replaced the bladder with one that is not supposed to give an aftertaste, but realized the valve itself was giving off the bad taste. I switched to bottles, first wide-mouth, now smart water bottles. The only time water tastes like plastic is when I try to use a cap with a snap-open valve. As long as the cap screws off, the water tastes fine. The valve I drank thru caused the bad taste. Look at your set-up. If you are drinking thru a valve, try a screw-on cap instead. It's more of a hassle, but gives you cleaner-tasting water. I also use some aluminum bottles that are shaped like smart water bottles. You can order a case of those from Mountain Valley Water. They do not collapse.
    I'll keep this in mind. I'm going to try using a backpack internal bladder with a carbon containing filter at the end of the tube. Though I still want something metal-collapsible in order to carry additional water when needed for a dry stretch. There are some aluminum foil pouches (pic in a previous post), but I don't know if the interior layer is plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I belive there are several, a quick Google search brought up this one:
    https://keego.at/products/the-bottle?lang=de
    You can squeeze that one, but not collapse it.

You can have a metal bottle (stainless/titanium), or a collapsible bottle, but not both in the same bottle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++