WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Indian Creek loop

Can someone tell me about going up Indian Creek trail to Martins Gap and then back down Sunkota Ridge while staying over night at #51 or 46. I will have 5 beginner adult hikers with me and don't want to overdo it. Also 45 seems to not be a very flat site.

another option is Thomas Divide to Indian Creek Motor trail and then back down Indian Creek.
    Thanks

I've done both of these on multiple occasions. I would say the both are going to be challenging for beginning hikers, likely in the strenuous category. Campsite #46 is fairly large and has multiple tent sites. Might be a tad buggy given the proximity to water. I've never been to #51, though I remember running into a hiker who was trying (unsuccessfully) to find it. Indian Creek Trail to Martins Gap Trail from #46 starts out a fairly easy uphill slope and crosses Indian Creek several time before becoming steeper and entering a series of switchbacks to the top of the ridge. Once there, turn left on Sunkota Ridge Trail and ascend for another maybe 0.8 mile (?), after which it's downhill all the way back to the Indian Creek Trail. It's probably do-able for them, and it's very pretty, lots of water, etc. I've done Indian Creek Trail to Stone Pile Gap to Indian Creek Motor Trail, up over the top and down again to Deeplow Gap Trail and then back to Indian Creek Motor Trail.again. It is a good, strenuous hike but not as pretty in my opinion and the Sunkota Ridge hike.

Images

that's not really that bad of a loop though......

will give beginners a touch of uphill climb but not that long....

46, while on the hill, did have some flat areas for camping...

i had no problems there and quite enjoyed it there...

the park had just made it and was only open a little bit (and this was like 8 years ago or so) for a little while...

and they had cleared a ton of dead trees in that area and it was all cut up into firewood with multiple stacks
    in every camping area.....

it was so perfect for one like myself who likes an all night fire....

51, if memory serves me right, sits off the trail a little bit.....

there should be a wooden sign on trail and then a short path back to camping area.......

and bizarrely-----one of the guys i was camping with, got a great cell signal and was able
    to stream a TN football game........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and bizarrely-----one of the guys i was camping with, got a great cell signal and was able
    to stream a TN football game........
    The mountains in the Deep Creek area seem to just be pointed towards Bryson City and it's cell towers.There have been many areas and campsites in that section of the mountains that I've been able to get a cell signal.

Images

The mountains in the Deep Creek area seem to just be pointed towards Bryson City and it's cell towers.There have been many areas and campsites in that section of the mountains that I've been able to get a cell signal.

yeah.....

after that trip, i had business to conduct while i was doing parts of lakeshore trail....

so i ordered some tickets for some concerts one saturday morning after the boat dropped me off
    at 76....

Thanks guys. What about Deep Creek and then back down Sunkota Ridge. Maybe staying at 58

I have decided to go up Bradley Fork to Cabin Flats.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    I have decided to go up Bradley Fork to Cabin Flats.
    As you approach the campsite, the trail stays on the hillside, passes the campsite, and then drops to creek level and makes a U-Turn.

Cabin Flats is a horse camp, but the horse stalls are located at the start of the campsite. Keep going down stream and you should be able to get away from the horse stalls and find a nice spot right at creek side.

Since this is going to be an in-and-out hike, may I suggest you consider taking Smokemont Loop on your way in and remain creek side on Bradley Fork on your way out.
    Smokemont Loop starts at the front end of the campground... crossing an old bridge. The loop will add an extra 1,000' climb/decent to the hike, and about 3 extra miles. There are a few nice views thru the trees, but mainly the path is just so different from the monotony that is Bradley Fork.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    As you approach the campsite, the trail stays on the hillside, passes the campsite, and then drops to creek level and makes a U-Turn.

Cabin Flats is a horse camp, but the horse stalls are located at the start of the campsite. Keep going down stream and you should be able to get away from the horse stalls and find a nice spot right at creek side.

Since this is going to be an in-and-out hike, may I suggest you consider taking Smokemont Loop on your way in and remain creek side on Bradley Fork on your way out.
    Smokemont Loop starts at the front end of the campground... crossing an old bridge. The loop will add an extra 1,000' climb/decent to the hike, and about 3 extra miles. There are a few nice views thru the trees, but mainly the path is just so different from the monotony that is Bradley Fork.
    Great advice. For sure will take the loop trail in.

++ New Posts ++