WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    As Owen points out, using a topographical map along with a trail rating I can usually pin down the difficulty for me with the gear I plan to carry.
    The purpose of my post was to illustrate that things the topo does NOT show can significantly affect the difficulty(perhaps "required time" would be more apt) of a trail. It's easy to forget, and need reminding of, for people who don't hike much in rough terrain, or on less well maintained trails.
    Experience in a given area can help, but I've been handed some big surprises by trails that seemed quite innocuous when looking at the map, because it only shows things in 2 dimensions.
    Some of the slowest miles I've ever done were a "shortcut" via unfamiliar trails that rarely crossed a contour line on a map with a contour interval of 50ft. Having what looks like a 2hr route take 4.5 is not what you want when racing the setting sun!

So I have been watching the Tour. I'm kind of a fanatic for the Tour. Not cycling in general, I actually dislike riding myself. BUT, every July I am glued to the TV for hours watching the excitement. This year, due to Covid, it was delayed until Aug 29th start date. So I thought I would look at the rating system cycling has for how they classify climbs. Thought I would share this.

https://cyclingskills.blogspot.com/2...g-percent.html

I think something similar could be applied broadly to backpacking. In cycling the minimum weights for bikes are dictated, regardless of the size of the rider. I think we could apply something like that to the weight of a backpack, FOR RATING PURPOSES ONLY. Perhaps the rating is based on a 25lb backpack. This will be less than many and more than many. But overall, a system could be created for rating trail sections.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    So I have been watching the Tour. I'm kind of a fanatic for the Tour. Not cycling in general, I actually dislike riding myself. BUT, every July I am glued to the TV for hours watching the excitement. This year, due to Covid, it was delayed until Aug 29th start date. So I thought I would look at the rating system cycling has for how they classify climbs. Thought I would share this.

https://cyclingskills.blogspot.com/2...g-percent.html

I think something similar could be applied broadly to backpacking. In cycling the minimum weights for bikes are dictated, regardless of the size of the rider. I think we could apply something like that to the weight of a backpack, FOR RATING PURPOSES ONLY. Perhaps the rating is based on a 25lb backpack. This will be less than many and more than many. But overall, a system could be created for rating trail sections.
    You would also want to account for other factors, like whether the surface was smooth or rocky, and maybe also whether there was a slope across the trail.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++