WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendations for Duomid floor with dog?

I love my dcf duomid for trips with my pups but tired of using sheets of polycro or tyvek as they never stay put and don’t offer much protection from cold wet ground when dog shifts around. Looking at a floor from Ron but the sil is 8.5+ oz $100 vs 6oz dcf floor $175.....with dog I think sil would be best option...thought I would ask to see if anyone had any better options or thoughts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New dog? What happened to teh JRT?

TRy polycro in the thicker mils(1,5 or so) although it's quite slippery. Try silny or Tyvek but add some tie outs going from the ground sheet to the Duomid's stakes. It cold be as easy as the embedded small pebble method. Us esoem shock cord. Watch the new dog doesn't abrade the DCF. If Fido scratches at it it can abrade.

How about a second pair of them booties for tent only?
    I like his banana too
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I like his banana too
    Despite being a cat person, I've always thought that having a canine companion on the trail is an arrangement that could really bear fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I love my dcf duomid for trips with my pups but tired of using sheets of polycro or tyvek as they never stay put and don’t offer much protection from cold wet ground when dog shifts around. Looking at a floor from Ron but the sil is 8.5+ oz $100 vs 6oz dcf floor $175.....with dog I think sil would be best option...thought I would ask to see if anyone had any better options or thoughts....

Do you have any scraps from old tents, tarps, or footprints that you could fashion into a floor? You could add grommets as needed, or maybe even throw it into the sewing machine and do buttonholes (as openings for stakes). Even a new footprint or tarp might be had for little money, but they wouldn't likely be as light as sil, DCF, polycro, or tyvek.

Yeah, come to think of it, if you've got a tyvek footprint that matches the shape you need, why not put some grommets or buttonholes in it (or even use a hole punch, tyvek is hard to tear, isn't it?) - and stake it down under your duomid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    New dog? What happened to teh JRT?

TRy polycro in the thicker mils(1,5 or so) although it's quite slippery. Try silny or Tyvek but add some tie outs going from the ground sheet to the Duomid's stakes. It cold be as easy as the embedded small pebble method. Us esoem shock cord. Watch the new dog doesn't abrade the DCF. If Fido scratches at it it can abrade.
    Still have the jrt. Got this malinut about a year ago..maybe I’ll try a single large sheet of poly as you said...add shock cord to corners..not sure what DIA poly I have as it’s from GG....

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    How about a second pair of them booties for tent only?
    I like his banana too
    Thanks, needed something bright as it was hunting season and have had several people ask if he was part wolf/coyote so figured better make him visible...funny thing is I found that bandanna in the hit on top of Whitney few years back...

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Despite being a cat person, I've always thought that having a canine companion on the trail is an arrangement that could really bear fruit.
    Great until you have to carry his food! Almost old enough for a pack!

If I had this setup I wouldn't bother with a tyvek or thin denier floor, especially with a big dog's claws. Instead I'd configure a poly tarp cut to size with whatever doodads you want to use to keep it in place. A 10mil poly tarp works great for keeping wet ground or snow melt from sponging up with your body weight---and if it's white you can see everything on the floor.

Example inside my tent as a second floor---
    P1000218-XL.jpg
    10 mil is thick enough to turn away small thorns---and this kind of "walmart" tarp is disposable and cheap and easy to cut---and dang waterproof. 10mil is beefier than the usual "blue tarps" and heck you could really get beefy with 12mil or 16mil.

GG offers either .75 gauge/.75 mils or 1.o gauge/1 mil. The Duck Brand Max found at hardware stores and Wally Wonders is 1.5 mils.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If I had this setup I wouldn't bother with a tyvek or thin denier floor, especially with a big dog's claws. Instead I'd configure a poly tarp cut to size with whatever doodads you want to use to keep it in place. A 10mil poly tarp works great for keeping wet ground or snow melt from sponging up with your body weight---and if it's white you can see everything on the floor.

Example inside my tent as a second floor---
    P1000218-XL.jpg
    10 mil is thick enough to turn away small thorns---and this kind of "walmart" tarp is disposable and cheap and easy to cut---and dang waterproof. 10mil is beefier than the usual "blue tarps" and heck you could really get beefy with 12mil or 16mil.
    Damn tipi! Looks like over kill for me but with your 30 day winter trips I can see why.

GG offers either .75 gauge/.75 mils or 1.o gauge/1 mil. The Duck Brand Max found at hardware stores and Wally Wonders is 1.5 mils.
    How did you attach the shock cord to the polycro..assume punched hole but what you use to reinforce holes? Lil tape?

Best not to punch holes in polycro. It tears uncontrollably if not reinforced. I have used .75(too SUL and not durable enough for longer treks) and 1.5 mil poly for bathtub floors with shock cord attached as SUL groundsheets. I use fiberglass/fiber ring binder punch rings(like fiber washers but stick on) on both sides of the poly if I do punch a hole in it with a sharp ring binder hole puncher attaching only Sul shock cord/bungee(some SUL shock can be found at Hobby Lobby, REI usually has bulk stuff too) with a mini plastic mitten hook snap(ZPacks) to attach with light tension to the tent stake or attach to the Duos fabric guy out loops. Same can be done with other fabrics/ground sheet materials. Use heavier material if on Restless Leg Syndrome meds and FIDO likes to doggy dance at the Duomid Dance hall. Suppose you have a default .75 DCF mid? FWIW, if ordering accessories from ZP order a couple stick on DCF patches in case Fido goes ape shart from a bear. ZP also offers stick on DCF fabric guyouts.

Great thx....so far no issues with him tearing the dcf, std weight green from Ron .75? first morning out he did bolt through/under it after a deer that walked next to us @ 3am!! Started walking early! Thankfully he went under not through and no damage!!! Purposely pitched lil higher! After first night he slept like a rock! His CT trip was his first hike so I’m very happy with his performance and look forward to more LD hikes with him and jrt. Thinking will do FHT and ONF section on FT again this winter with both of them. I have some UL shock cord and small mitten hooks laying around somewhere, will give it a try. Looks like my local stores don’t sell the window film but only $8 on amazon....it’s on the way..thx again

Just Dremel their nails. I do my dogs every week. If I miss a week it’s no big deal but when I’m expecting a trip I gotta double down. I have a 125lb and 100lb ridgeback. They don’t pop my quilt or pad so I don’t care. I sold my duplex in anticipation my male would destroy it and hind sight is always 20/20 as I’m lugging a 3 person marmot tent in my ul bag.

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Just Dremel their nails. I do my dogs every week. If I miss a week it’s no big deal but when I’m expecting a trip I gotta double down. I have a 125lb and 100lb ridgeback. They don’t pop my quilt or pad so I don’t care. I sold my duplex in anticipation my male would destroy it and hind sight is always 20/20 as I’m lugging a 3 person marmot tent in my ul bag.

Not too worried about their nails, mine get run several miles per day on asphalt so the only nails I trim are the dew claws...no way I’m carrying a heavy tent...in few months plan to let the mali carry all dog food so the 38l burn will be plenty for all my trips less bear can, planning to buy a HMG 3400 for next year Sierra trip..no dog in this trip.

I hear that heavy tent is a bummer. I’d go tyvek with grommets and shock cord.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Great thx....so far no issues with him tearing the dcf, std weight green from Ron .75? first morning out he did bolt through/under it after a deer that walked next to us @ 3am!! Started walking early! Thankfully he went under not through and no damage!!! Purposely pitched lil higher! After first night he slept like a rock! His CT trip was his first hike so I’m very happy with his performance and look forward to more LD hikes with him and jrt. Thinking will do FHT and ONF section on FT again this winter with both of them. I have some UL shock cord and small mitten hooks laying around somewhere, will give it a try. Looks like my local stores don’t sell the window film but only $8 on amazon....it’s on the way..thx again
    FHT = Foothils Tr?What's ONF? Olympic Nat Forest?

The first thing that jumps to my mind is that I'd use something like my old rope tarp for the dog, and keep a DCF solo floor for myself.
    Mine is an older Black Diamond model that has loops at the corners, and could be staked out so it doesn't move, but I'm not seeing anything quite like it with a quick google search.
    Mammut has a lightweight one called the Alnasca, 4'x4', 140g/4.9oz. Doesn't sound very durable for a rope tarp, but might be good to go as a doggie bed.
    https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/2050-...sca-rope-tarp/

FHT = Foothils Tr?What's ONF? Olympic Nat Forest?
    Yep..FHT=foothills trail & ONF=Ocala National forest section FT

++ New Posts ++