WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Default WTB Kids Backpacking stuff

looking for a backpack and sleeping bag for my 11 year old. any other equipment that your child may have grown out of.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What sort of temperature rating you looking for in a Sleeping Bag.

I've got a NorthFace Tigger synthetic fill. 2lbs.
    The original claim for Temperature Rating was 20ºF.
    But when I first started using it, I was using a compression stuff sack to get is small enough to fit in the small back pack the kids were using. I can tell that it has lost some of its loft.
    If one of my kids needed to use it, I would treat it like a 32º bag.
    Can't get to it until tomorrow for pictures.

For a backpack, I've got a Granite Gear Vapor Ki I don't expect I'll ever use again.

For a sleeping pad, I've got a Therm-a-rest Prolite Regular size I'd part with for a good price.
    But the down side to using a self-inflating mattress for kids is that they likely won't have the strength to roll it tight enough to fit in a small backpack (so you'll be the one rolling it up).
    However, if you squeeze as much of the air out of the mattress first, then close the valve, then try to roll up the pad (you'll have to reopen it as you get to the end to let the remaining air out), I've been able to pack the 'Regular' size Prolite pad into a Thermarest Prolite 'Small' stuff sack.

Kids and cheap closed cell foam mats are a natural fit. They sleep well on them and can't destroy them without great effort. < $10 at Walmart and elsewhere. 1/2" thick is best.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Kids and cheap closed cell foam mats are a natural fit. They sleep well on them and can't destroy them without great effort. < $10 at Walmart and elsewhere. 1/2" thick is best.
    I would tend to agree...
    Only down side is bulk.

In my case, I had already purchased the Vapor Ki, and if you pay attention to the picture, you can see this pack has no lashing straps to put a closed cell foam pad underneath. So I opted for the compact size of a Therm-a-Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I would tend to agree...
    Only down side is bulk.

In my case, I had already purchased the Vapor Ki, and if you pay attention to the picture, you can see this pack has no lashing straps to put a closed cell foam pad underneath. So I opted for the compact size of a Therm-a-Rest.
    Some years ago I took a group of teens on a winter backpacking trip. One of them decided to use his (meaning my) Thermarest as a toboggan. I am still scarred.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So I opted for the compact size of a Therm-a-Rest.
    A RidgeRest SOLite is a Therm-a-Rest. So is a NeoAir Xlite, Trail Scout, and ProLite Plus. Therm-a-Rest is the company, not the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    A RidgeRest SOLite is a Therm-a-Rest. So is a NeoAir Xlite, Trail Scout, and ProLite Plus. Therm-a-Rest is the company, not the product.
    Wow...splitting hairs... If I ask you what pad you have, and you tell me "thermarest", I'm going to assume your pad is inflatable. Most gear enthusiast would probably agree. It has been the common slang for years.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    True: My mistake. I was specifically thinking of the ProLite I mentioned above when I simply stated "Therm-a-Rest".

But my main point being that I had chosen a back pack that didn't have convenient lashing straps to carry a closed cell foam pad.
    Anyone doing something similar should consider one of the NeoAir pads as kids won't need to arm strength needed to tightly roll up a self-inflating mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Wow...splitting hairs... If I ask you what pad you have, and you tell me "thermarest", I'm going to assume your pad is inflatable. Most gear enthusiast would probably agree. It has been the common slang for years.
    Even if you take it to only mean an inflatable mattress (i.e., not CCF), it's vague, since it doesn't distinguish between self-inflators and air mattresses, or among the varying Therm-A-Rest models within either category (like XLite vs. XTherm, or ProLite vs. TrailPro). There are 15 different inflatable Therm-A-Rest models on sale at rei dot com at the moment. So even if one (erroneously) excludes CCF models when thinking of the name Therm-A-Rest, it still doesn't convey much.

So if you had such a conversation, would you then ask (if interested), "What kind of Therm-a-Rest?" Or do you go to further assume a particular inflatable?

[btw, you'd have been wrong, mine is a RidgeRest]

Anyway, back on topic: I agree, CCF for kids is a good match for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it's virtually fail-proof. Ensure they're tired at the end of the day and they'll sleep on anything. True for adults too, though exhaustion is a better guarantor than mere tiredness.

I have a ULA Circut Kids adjustable torso pack w/X-small hip belt in the purple robic. The back is 5 years old but, in near new condition. It was used annually for one, week-long trip each year when my son was aged 11 through 14 (a growth-spurt this year made my medium torso Catalyst a better choice this year.)

I'd have to check on shipping costs but, if you are willing to spend a bit over $200 I can pin down shipping costs for you.

Images

Looking for kids hiking poles?

chest high ski poles at wallmart.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    looking for a backpack and sleeping bag for my 11 year old. any other equipment that your child may have grown out of.
    If you use Facebook, I just saw a posting for a kids sleeping bag on the Bearfoot gear group. I think it was 50 dollars but don't remember the specs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Kids NF Tigger 20* has served my kid well from about 6-13 years old..,bought mine on eBay several years back around $75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++