Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    we do not have to overeat
    Look into the protein leverage hypothesis. People overeat because their food is poor quality and lacks nutrients. They keep eating until they achieve a threshold of protein. This is a mountain of food if you're eating low-quality processed carbage. But if it's steak and eggs, overeating ends. This is how we're wired, and explains the horrible "hiker hunger", always based on a pop tarts, Little Debbies type of diet.

Carbs got Cory to very nearly 400 pounds.
    Carbs are keeping him where he is.
    My unofficial weight tally based on Cory’s account:
    Lost 35 pounds to Warner Springs. Approximately 100 miles.
    Lost 37 pounds in the next 400 miles.
    Something ain’t right. Pringles. Gatorade. Carbs and more carbs.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Just watched latest video. 110 days in and he's lost a lot of weight (no surprise), but I'm flabbergasted at how much of a hot mess he still is after so much time on the trail. His pack has never once fit him right (either) and in the 2 days that the video covers shows it leaning to one side like the Tower of Pisa. Also, to be so not buttoned up in terms of his gear and shelter - "Big storm coming, oh, I should have replaced all my stakes that I broke and now don't have and desperately need...." HOT. MESS.
    And yet he continues to walk. With good humor. I'm enjoying him.

He’s 25% into the hike and has lost almost 35% of his weight loss goal... I’d say he was right on target....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Just watched latest video. 110 days in and he's lost a lot of weight (no surprise), but I'm flabbergasted at how much of a hot mess he still is after so much time on the trail. His pack has never once fit him right (either) and in the 2 days that the video covers shows it leaning to one side like the Tower of Pisa. Also, to be so not buttoned up in terms of his gear and shelter - "Big storm coming, oh, I should have replaced all my stakes that I broke and now don't have and desperately need...." HOT. MESS.
    I agree, and noticed his gear is I'll fitting as well. I think it's in part due to him still being quite overweight. I'm impressed with the progress he's made, I just hope he stays injury free...pushing 20+ mile days carrying more than 100 extra pounds makes me nervous.

The latest video, #59, is a quantum leap in production quality. The whole team has learned a lot since leaving the fence in Campo! Gone is the selfie stick and the phone aimed straight at Cory's face for the duration of the video.
    Well done Y'all!
    The new REI pack that Cory mentioned a month or so ago has finally appeared in the latest video. The fit and carry appear to have improved.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The latest video, #59, is a quantum leap in production quality. The whole team has learned a lot since leaving the fence in Campo! Gone is the selfie stick and the phone aimed straight at Cory's face for the duration of the video.
    Well done Y'all!
    The new REI pack that Cory mentioned a month or so ago has finally appeared in the latest video. The fit and carry appear to have improved.
    Wayne
    Why did get rid of the old (Granite gear?) pack?

Best guess: Change of fit with weight loss.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Best guess: Change of fit with weight loss.
    OK...thought I might have missed something.

Seems like he is skipping the snow now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Maybe it was in the comments to one of videos, or maybe a news article I read, but he mentioned the reason his pack leans to the side is because he had a shoulder injury in the past. One shoulder is fine and muscular; the other is not and has lost muscle. So his pack is droopy.

I wonder how the Little Bee thing will play out??? Its fun watching his videos, I think he's doing ok. having a good time. I'd rather watch him hike than the debate that's on TV.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Thanks for starting this thread and making me aware of Cory.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

All the naysayers about 2nd chance have gotten pretty quiet eh?

Not only is he almost halfway thru the PCT, but he's got a trail momma.

My man.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Looks like he's lost a lot of weight!

I've got a slow connection so it's tough to watch all his videos. Can someone tell me how many miles he's done, where he is now, what he did after Kennedy Meadows? Other interesting news?

Sounds like he's enjoying his hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Looks like he's lost a lot of weight!

I've got a slow connection so it's tough to watch all his videos. Can someone tell me how many miles he's done, where he is now, what he did after Kennedy Meadows? Other interesting news?

Sounds like he's enjoying his hike.
    He flipped at some point. Is probably closing in on over a thousand+ miles. Has a trail girlfriend lol. All is well

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

He just began Oregon the other day w/Little B. Skipped the Sierras because of the snowpack. Seems he and Little B are hitting- it- off great . I think she’s pushing him gently to keep up a decent pace. She was sick the past few days, they think it might’ve been giardia (sp.)

He’s doing better than I thought he’d ever do. Prolly lost over 100- 150 lbs by now if not more

Quote Originally Posted by TwigBoy View Post
    He just began Oregon the other day w/Little B. Skipped the Sierras because of the snowpack. Seems he and Little B are hitting- it- off great . I think she’s pushing him gently to keep up a decent pace. She was sick the past few days, they think it might’ve been giardia (sp.)

I agree, He’s doing better than I thought he’d ever do. Prolly lost over 100- 150 lbs by now if not more
    I think what alot of folks have missed is his intent. His intent was not to complete a thru hike, it was to stay on the trail until he lost 200 lbs. If he completed the thru hike on top of that, just icing on the cake. He has done spectacular and I know the hiking and health community are all behind him.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

He’s a bit of a romantic, I feel like I’m watching a lifetime channel romance with great scenery

second chance has transitioned from a kinda frightened, lonely guy to someone making friends, memories and maybe a life partner. It’s a lovely transition to see, maybe the most profoundly changed thru hiker I’ve seen on you tube yet. To someone watching the weight loss is trivial compared to the confidence gained, although I know they are interconnected.

Im glad to see him be so successful.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    He’s a bit of a romantic, I feel like I’m watching a lifetime channel romance with great scenery
    At some point, Little Bee started filming for him; she's great at video composition. So with Cory's musings and the developing romance, Little Bee's film work, and Kelona's editing and music tracks - they are great videos! I don't usually sit and watch any movie while not also double-tasking, but I stop for his.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
++ New Posts ++