WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flower Lake from Onion Valley

I知 confused with permits. I知 trying to go from from Onion Valley into the section of JMT south to Mt Whitney.

Night one is going to be flower lake. What do I call it in the permit reservation?

Night two bubbs creek, night three Tyndall creek, night four Crabtree, night five guitar lake, then exit North Fork Lone Pine creek. Gonna summit Whitney but come back down to guitar lake. Then exit via mountaineer route

Sounds logical, right?

Also what time of day does the permit cycle? As in, does it run on eastern time or west coast? Trying to figure out the earliest time I can book

It will show up as Flower Lake (Kearsarge Pass) when you select from the drop down. I have put a screen shot below. Also one thing to look out for when you get on trail...there is a small sign that says "Matlock Lake" this is aka Flower Lake. If you go past here you will start climbing, I learned this first hand I saw no sign that said Flower Lake.

The rest of your itinerary looks good to me. We did from Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass up and down Whitney and out the portal in 4 days.

Flower Lake.PNG

I got an INYO permit at 6am East Coast time a few weeks ago

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I知 confused with permits. I知 trying to go from from Onion Valley into the section of JMT south to Mt Whitney.

Night one is going to be flower lake. What do I call it in the permit reservation?

Night two bubbs creek, night three Tyndall creek, night four Crabtree, night five guitar lake, then exit North Fork Lone Pine creek. Gonna summit Whitney but come back down to guitar lake. Then exit via mountaineer route

Sounds logical, right?
    Lost me when said you would come back down to guitar lake, then exit mountaineer route

Make sure you have enough wag bags for time you spend in whitney zone. Pick up at crabtree

My understanding is north fork lone pine is not a trail, its a route

Mt. Whitney zone is the best forum for all thinghs whitney

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-17-2019 at 03:34.

Nice! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    I got an INYO permit at 6am East Coast time a few weeks ago

Nice!! I’m tagging along and it’s not my itinerary. The mountaineer route does give me a moderate amount of heartburn

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Lost me when said you would come back down to guitar lake, then exit mountaineer route

Make sure you have enough wag bags for time you spend in whitney zone. Pick up at crabtree

My understanding is north fork lone pine is not a trail, its a route

Mt. Whitney zone is the best forum for all thinghs whitney

How are you at rock scrambling? There's some third class involved.

I’ve watched quite a few videos that depict said scrambles, and I *think* I’m gonna be fine. Long as I have my hands free. Is the most exposed down climb those e-ledges?!

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    How are you at rock scrambling? There's some third class involved.

I’ve watched quite a few videos that depict said scrambles, and I *think* I’m gonna be fine. Long as I have my hands free. Is the most exposed down climb those e-ledges?!
    Those ledges are not difficult, IMO. Some people might find them frightening, but if you have any experience at all you'll be fine on them.

I do love a good scramble!!

The mountaineer's route can hold snow and involve ascending a steep snow chute.

Good detail from mtngoat about Matlock lake being Flower lake. That had me scratching my head initially too. Figured it out on my own. Different maps and accounts sometimes label the same feature differently.

Yep noted. We’re not ascending the route but coming down it. And only from iceberg, not the peak

That chute looks gnarly!

Yep noted. We’re not ascending the route but coming down it. And only from iceberg, not the peak

That chute looks gnarly!
    Descending the Mountaineers only from Iceberg? How you getting to Iceberg Lake? Rapping down the East Buttress?

Don’t know what it’s called, but thought there was a way up via guitar lake?

In between Mt Russell and Mt Whitney... it’s not familiar to me at this point

Don’t know what it’s called, but thought there was a way up via guitar lake?

You mean Whitney-Russell Pass? Secor says it's class 2. But that's not the Mountaineer's Route.

Cool! Ascent on that side and waltz down the other side. What’s class 2 mean? I need a rope?

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    You mean Whitney-Russell Pass? Secor says it's class 2. But that's not the Mountaineer's Route.

Never mind! Thanks be to YouTube I know what class 2 means and what to expect

Cool! Ascent on that side and waltz down the other side. What’s class 2 mean? I need a rope?

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++