WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    So last night it looks as if he camped at Warner Springs Hollow in MD, which I don’t think you’re supposed to do. Is that considered an opportunity cost? Or similar to the Jurek Katahdin Drama?
    I don't know anything about that road crossing, whether camping is allowed or not, but unless you have a picture or witness, don't assume they even camped there. I know they've driven off the trail at least twice to stay elsewhere. Don't make up drama.

And I’m only talking about it so I understand the “rules” of it all. Shouldn’t detract from this at all.

Images

And I’m only talking about it so I understand the “rules” of it all. Shouldn’t detract from this at all.
    But it will (detract from the main point). Sigh.....

Ok ignore it then. I don’t care where he slept. Is he crushing the Appalachian Trail right now? The answer is most definitely yes.

As far as FastestKnownTime.com is concerned, we don't judge whether a person obeys all laws / rules while doing the FKT. That's beyond the scope of what we do, or are able to keep track of. Scott did the AT, and he (or his team) broke some rules in Baxter State Park. The latter does not invalidate the former. Whether or not the trail (AT) community thinks breaking rules is "bad form" is another matter. I think it's clear that the Baxter kerfuffle DID detract / distract from Scott's achievement, but it's also clear that it did not invalidate the achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    As far as FastestKnownTime.com is concerned, we don't judge whether a person obeys all laws / rules while doing the FKT. That's beyond the scope of what we do, or are able to keep track of. Scott did the AT, and he (or his team) broke some rules in Baxter State Park. The latter does not invalidate the former. Whether or not the trail (AT) community thinks breaking rules is "bad form" is another matter. I think it's clear that the Baxter kerfuffle DID detract / distract from Scott's achievement, but it's also clear that it did not invalidate the achievement.
    Yes, thanks for clarification

Images

Yep, thanks Peter.

If Sabbe goes 43.8 days or less, he will be the first record holder to break the 50 miles per day barrier on the AT. He was the first on the PCT. Stringbean's time was about 2 hours too long to accomplish that on the PCT.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

So last night it looks as if he camped at Warner Springs Hollow in MD, which I don’t think you’re supposed to do.
    Let it go, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Let it go, please!
    Gone like the wind!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunnerGuy View Post
    Points taken on both posts.

I get that. I guess that's why I'd like to see a runner take it back, myself being a runner. It's a little embarrassing (for lack of a better word) to have your best trail runners (maybe a little long in the tooth, but not that much off their prime) go out there and get beaten by someone without support. If Karel edges him it doesn't change much, but at least a runner will be back on top overall.

Maybe it'll get bumped a little more this time. On the Harvey Lewis thread there was some discussion that it would probably take a hybrid approach to significantly reduce the time. Karel really isn't doing anything different than what Meltzer and Jurek did, but so far he is well ahead. Maybe he's just had pretty ideal circumstances so far and that won't continue, or maybe he's just doing it better. That's one thing I find interesting here, that maybe it doesn't take a much different approach.

One interesting thing he told me yesterday is that he didn't follow Harvey's run because he had a plan, and didn't want to alter it at the last minute based on factors that may or may not apply to him. We did not discuss anything about what the plan actually is and how/if it might differ from others.
    Every good sport needs a little rivalry
    Though the nice thing about this is we can all cheer along for individuals testing human limits.

I would expect him (or anyone giving this an honest shot) to follow his own plan for sure. I'm still reminded of Brett Maune's JMT run. Much like Matt Kirk he asked a better question than how do I race the last guy's split sheet.

The question to ask is 'What's the best I can do?'

If anything, this reminds me more of Brew and Jen's effort and style than any others.
    In that respect he's doing several things differently than Karl, Scott, or Harvey.
    They seem very comfortable with each other, and have a previous attempt together under their vest.
    They are rolling along out of a car, sleeping right on the trail as often as possible, and do not seem to be adverse to walking away from the road to set up when that is to their advantage.

While the connection is fresh for the Belgians... whatever you think of Doyle; he's a handy friend to have.

Though the hot tub and brewery visits seem to be a bit lacking, and I don't believe any rounds of put-put have been played.

Karel seems to have adopted the 'joe(y)' strategy of committing fully to running when possible. Really though that's not a huge change to Jen's style of consistent, steady output... it does get you off trail a bit faster mixing in a bit of running where it makes sense.

It was a bit mind blowing watching either Joe rip off 'a quick 50' but the advantage is clear and getting the extra few hours of recovery time was worth it. It seems to be working for Karel as well.

If nothing else it's clear that we are crossing the threshold where 20 minute miles for 16 hours a day isn't quite going to do the job at the current mark. In some sense you could say it's circling back to 'run' mentality... but instead of hopping in the van and heading to the hotel room that time is invested in staying on the trail a few more hours and/or focusing on recovery and maintenance.

So other than who's carrying the crap... it looks like team camping runner or running backpacker is turning into more or less the same thing as far as covering the miles themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Wow, he really opened up a lead in N VA http://www.animaps.com/pb/568540001/..._vs_stringbean

He should cross halfway at ~21d12h. Before LL Cool J comes on, I'll offer my halftime prediction: barring disaster, he'll match that time on the second half. Despite the expected slowdown in NH/ME, which is par for the course, Karel has several more days to bank some miles.
    Poor Sinkalip...

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    "Frenchy can drive."
    Dog Will Hunt!

Happy halfway to Karel!
    So long as he don't drop the nacho's or hit a telephone pole things are looking good.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 08-08-2018 at 10:51.

Great song choice Justy B!

Great song choice Justy B!
    Not many know my underground DJ name...

Karel has made Rocksylvania look easy so far, and he's had bouts of rain. He should reach New Jersey by noon tomorrow.

He’s definitely made the entire southern half look easy. Even without a full kit on his back what he is doing is amazing!

Default New Tracker

Karel has now the improved tracker (working on all US mobile networks). Took a little longer than foreseen because of a sudden death in the family last week.

At 3:25 this afternoon, day 24, he's a couple miles from a road crossing. If he continues on, which seems likely since he'd "only" be at about 46 for the day, the next logical stopping point would be the Leroy A. Smith shelter, where Stringbean stopped at the end of day 26--so potentially a 2 day difference. That would be a 58 mile day, so maybe he'll just camp on the trail before then. Another 2.6 miles beyond that would be another road crossing, but does he want a 60 mile day?

Ah, there's another road crossing it looks like he's stopped at, about 3.5 miles short of that shelter. ~53 miles today, where Stringbean covered 50. I think yesterday was ~48 where Stringbean covered 51.9.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++