WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Images

What about head gear? Hat? Fleece/knit cap? What about the neck? BUFF? Gloves? Or, none of that stuff?

My permit is for Aug 28-Sep 20 SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Long sleeve shirt for sun protection
    Windshirt for little bit warmth
    Long john top 6 oz powerfleece
    Puffy
    Raingear
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    What about head gear? Hat? Fleece/knit cap? What about the neck? BUFF? Gloves? Or, none of that stuff?

Sun hat (that covers the side of your face too), fleece or light wool beanie and light weight gloves (like smartwool liner gloves or equivalent). If your hands tend to get cold easily, slightly heavier gloves might come in handy in mid-late September, but I feel unnecessary in July. I had summer-like weather in one of my September JMT-esque hikes, but last year in mid September, we got dumped on with snow, and it was pretty cold for quite a few days/nights.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Well of course you need those.

Beanie ,fleece glovies
    I used sun gloves too a couple times

No sunscreen. No buff. No problems

I will have a lightweight nylon hat, buff, mid-weight gloves and lightweight wool beanie. sleep clothes are capilene top, wool leggings, and clean socks

Im starting to think my fleece will be overkill. I just love wearing it. Its also great to sleep in

The 1/4 is not nearly as warm but more versatile. I can actually hike in that with temps above 50

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've hiked through the JMT corridor three times now, once in July, once in early September, once in late September, spilling over to very early October. Your kit #3 is basically nearly exactly what I carried/wore all three times, and will carry next time. I've really fallen for the long sleeve button up thing, very light colored, very versatile, can easily open front when hot (and roll up sleeves).
    Sounds good. Thanks for your input!

Or what if I leave the puffy at home; bring the 1/4 zip and the fleece instead??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Or what if I leave the puffy at home; bring the 1/4 zip and the fleece instead??
    Which is lighter? What weight is that fleece? I prefer my UL puffy for those cool nights and mornings, mine is quite a bit lighter than a medium fleece for the same warmth.

the fleece (Melanazna) is 10.5 oz and has an integrated hood. but doesnt pack down well

the puffy (old Golite bare bones) is 8oz with no hood. disappears in my pack

Images

the fleece (Melanazna) is 10.5 oz and has an integrated hood. but doesnt pack down well

the puffy (old Golite bare bones) is 8oz with no hood. disappears in my pack
    I sure like good old fashioned fleeces, at only a 2.5 ounce penalty... more versatile than down IMHO. For a September hike, I'd go with the down, hands, er, down. But for July, I'd probably take the fleece. Enjoy!

actually the puffy is closer to 6 oz

What logistics did you go with getting to cottonwood?? If I can’t get enough time off do do CT this September I may hike JMT again early October.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

tough call, but I still like that fleece.

Journal Entries

I live in my melanzana fleece much of time in cool weather
    I brought it on CT for instance. Id put it on when reached
    Cold passes, and i was sweaty. Used at camp, and slept in.

Windshirt/powerfleece top is almost same utility, lighter though. Not as comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What logistics did you go with getting to cottonwood?? If I can’t get enough time off do do CT this September I may hike JMT again early October.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats one of the logisctics I havent figured out yet....Hire a shuttle looks like the only way. Ive been finalizing logisctics for my AT section hike; now I need to nail down the Cottonwood logistics.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Howdy Folks

Ive got a clothing top layering question I was hoping yall could give me some suggestions on. I am leaving August 9th. Ive never hiked in this part of the country. I understand the general temp ranges. I'm trying to decide between two options

1. Long sleeve button up, melanzana micro-grid fleece hoody, light weight puffy, frogg toggs

2. Short sleeve baselayer, 250g smartwool 1/4 zip, light weight puffy, frogg toggs

3. Long sleeve button up, 250g smartwool 1/4, light weight puffy, frogg toggs

My concern with setup #1 is overkill. Weight and space are a concern so I am trying to travel as light as possible. Would the fleece be overkill? Its not a very good active layer unless temps are in the 50 degree range. I would wear this in the mornings and evenings and possibly to bed if its cold enough.

My concern with setup #2 is that it might not be warm enough. This setup is more versatile but might leave me too cold. I also have a heavier puffy I could use instead of my 8oz down puffy. But that adds considerable weight and space to my pack.

I was hoping those of yall that have hiked the JMT or the Sierra at this time of year could chime in with your suggestions! Thank you
    I hiked in mid-July 2016... I spent most of my time in shorts and shore sleeve shirt. I was fearful of temps getting too cold and went overboard taking way too much.

All I needed to have taken was the following:
    Short sleeve shirt, shorts, underwear, wide brim hat, two sets of wool socks, buff for the neck, sun screen - daily wear
    Long sleeve bug shirt and long bug pants and bugs head net. Doubles as a cover up to get away from bugs and something else to wear while washing shorts and shirt.
    ultra light short sleeve shirt, shorts, underwear, wool camp. - Sleep wear to always have something clean to wear inside sleeping bag.
    down jacket, gloves, rain jacket, and rain pants. - Extra stuff to wear as needed... The down jacket was great for getting out of the sleeping bag until I was ready to start hiking for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I hiked in mid-July 2016... I spent most of my time in shorts and shore sleeve shirt. I was fearful of temps getting too cold and went overboard taking way too much.

Short sleeve shirt, shorts, underwear, wide brim hat, two sets of wool socks, buff for the neck, sun screen - daily wear
    Long sleeve bug shirt and long bug pants and bugs head net. Doubles as a cover up to get away from bugs and something else to wear while washing shorts and shirt.
    ultra light short sleeve shirt, shorts, underwear, wool camp. - Sleep wear to always have something clean to wear inside sleeping bag.
    down jacket, gloves, rain jacket, and rain pants. - Extra stuff to wear as needed... The down jacket was great for getting out of the sleeping bag until I was ready to start hiking for the day.
    What have you found you like for your "ultra light short sleeve shirt" for sleeping?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    What have you found you like for your "ultra light short sleeve shirt" for sleeping?
    I have an old L.L. Bean shirt I bought many years ago. The whole shirt is sort of a fine mesh material, designed to help sweat evaporate. It's a size too small today to where with a pack, but found it still large enough to sleep in where it didn't mater if there was a small gap between the shirt and shorts.
    Not sure what a modern equivalent would be, but given that you're talking about a shirt you only sleep in, an ultra thin cotton Tee would be a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

I will be starting August 12th; which I would assume means slightly cooler temps than you experienced. From my research it says to expect night time lows into the 30's and 40's.

I was going to bring 250 gram 1/4 zip smartwool pullover and my Melanazana fleece OR a 6.5 oz down puffy. Or a combination of the 3. I tend to sleep on the warm side

Do you think that is overkill?

Does anyone have experience getting from the Mammoth airport into Mammoth? There doesn't appear to be public transportation from the airport to town (or I am somehow completely missing this)

The lady I am renting an air b&b from said my best option is a private shuttle.

I cant help but think that there is a better way to get from the airport to town than an expensive private shuttle. She said uber isnt going to be reliable there.

Taxi? Hitch hike? Walk?

Images

[QUOTE=blue indian;2213011]Does anyone have experience getting from the Mammoth airport into Mammoth? There doesn't appear to be public transportation from the airport to town (or I am somehow completely missing this)

The lady I am renting an air b&b from said my best option is a private shuttle.

I cant help but think that there is a better way to get from the airport to town than an expensive private shuttle. She said uber isnt going to be reliable there.

Taxi? Hitch hike? Walk?[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes or yes. Get there and figure it out. I have successfully hitched that area and I suspect there will be people leaving the airport. A couple of nice worded questions will often get a ride.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++