WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MLD Core fits what bear can?

I’m in the pre-planning phase and curious to know if there are any other MLD Core users out there that have used a bear can with this pack?! I’d rather not have to buy a new pack because I stinkin’ love the Core so much. Which one works?!

Which bear can? There are several sizes.
    Where do you plan to backpack that requires a bear can?
    An Ursack product would work simply because they can be carried empty and strapped to the outside of virtually any backpack.
    I guess more information is needed.
    Wayne

Well, this was posted in the JMT thread, if that helps narrow it down

Bare Boxer Contender

But if you plan on doing this with a Core (28 liter!) it's going to require a very well tuned UL (bordering on SUL) kit and a well honed food resupply plan.

Tinkering with food resupply being every two days, maybe 3. Good info. Thanks!

I’m fairly UL now and SUL not impossible for me. S stands for Stupid, right?!?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I’m fairly UL now and SUL not impossible for me. S stands for Stupid, right?!?
    Lol, well not if one has the skills and experience, and adequate knowledge about the area. 😀

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you talking the CORE 28L that quotes a load range of 14-18lbs?

Unless you're planning to try to complete the JMT in something like one week's time, I just don't see it.

Throwing some rough numbers out...
    The bear canisters on the Yosemite NP list of approved canisters (of which Ursack currently is NOT on) all weight about 2 to 3 lbs. That means an empty bear canister is taking 10%-20% of your load range.
    While I obviously don't know your specific situation... it seems like the base weight for UL hikers I've talked to is in the area of 10 to 14lb. So assuming that all your UL gear and the bear canister physically fit in the CORE, you're going to be left with a ball park of 4lb for food capacity. When you consider that typical packpaker's food is around 1.5 to 2lb per day, you'll only have room for about 3 days worth of supplies.

So the good news to these "back of the napkin" calculations is that you can use pretty much the smallest canister since you only need to get about 3 days worth of food in there. But can you make it between resupply points in 3 days?

My warmer-weather base is about 7.5 lb and can get down to 6.5 lb in the hotter season.

Not that numbers matter all that much, but by definition 10 lb base is max that is considered UL... 14 lb is not UL. But with UL and SUL kits, the weight killers are food and water, often heavier than the pack and all other gear combined.

However, CDT has been hiked with a 2.6 oz book bag so this is not out of the realm at all.

I do realize the pack has its limits... great conversation to have with myself on a Monday morning... my base weight hovers around 8lbs. Most of my hiking is not long distance, and also realizing a 3 week JMT thru kinda sorta maybe is a longer endeavor requiring additional space. I made a good investment in the MLD Core and super happy w it. Will likely invest in a proper thru hiker pack to make it work.

Tinkering with food resupply being every two days, maybe 3. Good info. Thanks!
    You may not even legally require a canister if you're capable of high mileage days, rock a truly SUL kit, and have judicious resupply logistics. It's based off a JMT FKT approach not carrying a canister.

Also, if you haven't considered it you can rock the smallest volume lightest wt cans currently available because you're capable and willing to carry 2-3 days chow. Now, if you compound that number of days supply by further lowering the food wt/day and volume of that food even if you do manage a can in the Core that frees up space in the can for items not legally requiring being in a can; so, even though the can takes up much volume it's basically similar to a pack inside a pack. The Core may work.

There is no JMT requirement that a can needs to be inside a pack either.

Do understand a days food, that current days food, can be stored outside a can when the pack is always on your person.

There are also bear boxes on or near the JMT to legally store food. There's a website noting these locations.

All these options help to not require a can yet safely legally store food or vastly assist reducing the size (volume and wt) of a can required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ..So the good news to these "back of the napkin" calculations is that you can use pretty much the smallest canister since you only need to get about 3 days worth of food in there. But can you make it between resupply points in 3 days?
    There you go.

I tell you all this because it's my assumption folks capable of rockin a MLD Core 22-28 L for a JMT thru would be advanced enough to be logistically legally able to not require a bear can or use only the smallest volume and wt legal can.

Most JMTers including UL thrus are hauling more than 2-3 days food so UL JMT kit wt as previously stated might not be valid for one able and willing to keep themselves to 2 maybe 3 days chow.

Well, this was posted in the JMT thread, if that helps narrow it down
    The pitfalls of viewing on a phone and hurriedly.
    My Bad.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Emailed Mld and was advised that can would fit but too tight for everything else. Was referred to their Burn pack.

++ New Posts ++