WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tell me about that time....

Tell me about that time you walked forever and thought for sure your 110g iso butane was going to run out, but you still had enough to cook a snack back at the car.... trying to build confidence in it, as I have never used it before. Going for a 7 night trip and will probably use it for 2-3 meals per day. Cooking for 2. Don’t want to take up pack room and don’t want to run out. Using the 110g bottles because it will nest with my stove, pot and mug. Let me know about your experience please!

-Ben

What stove and what kind of cooking are you doing? I have a JetBoil Sol Ti and only do freeze dried meals with it. I get at least 20 boils of approx 2 cups of water out of each 110g canister doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    What stove and what kind of cooking are you doing? I have a JetBoil Sol Ti and only do freeze dried meals with it. I get at least 20 boils of approx 2 cups of water out of each 110g canister doing this.
    We will be using both a brs 3000t and the little orange eteck city, in ME, in early August.

Mountain house meals, oatmeal, instant rice/potatoes, bisquick, and maybe some ramen.

I used an ounce of fuel per day boiling 2 liters of water per day. For two people. I used the etkcity burner with a Caldera Cone on my snowpeak 1400 ml pot. Your mileage may vary depending on how much of a hurry you are in to get the water boiling, or close to boiling.

Images
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    We will be using both a brs 3000t and the little orange eteck city, in ME, in early August.
    Plenty of time to test it, how many burns you can get doing the kind of cooking you're planning on doing, etc.

Images

Putting fuel canisters in your cook pot is overrated. Especially if it means bringing multiple canisters.

I use 13 grams per liter of water.

Journal Entries

One 8 oz canister lasts a whole week for the two of us. I don't waste fuel, but I do more than boil water.

When we're out for 7 nights, we usually plan a resupply mid-trip. If you're resupplying food, you could pick up fuel too if it seems like you're using too much.

Hum, I thought I had enough left to get through the SNP, but I ran out with a day or two to go. No problem, get a new canister at the campground store. Turns out the store was closed for renovation. The Wayside had no canisters. But they had food to go. Next day I'm chatting with a hiker I met going the other way and mention my problem. Turns out someone had just given him a full canister that he didn't need so he passed it onto me. True trail magic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Practice with your system so you know how many boils you will get per canister. I use a sharpie on bottom to keep track of how many “boils” I’ve used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Test it. Test it. Test it. Do you have a scale? I did a lot of testing before our LT thru because I (1) knew resupply would be an issue and (2) didn't want to carry extra canisters if I didn't have to. I had a couple of canister stoves, and all of them took ~15g of fuel to boil 2 cups of water in real world (outside, in cool weather, with a breeze) conditions. I ended up buying a Jetboil Sol Ti because of the claimed fuel efficiency, and under the same conditions averaged 5g per boil -- a huge difference (the difference between ~7+ and ~22 boils per 110g canister.) You will be shocked at how much even a very slight breeze kills the fuel efficiency of a typical canister stove with no heat exchanger. Testing indoors won't give you usable results.

I am happy to be wrong about this, but based on that experience I would take either two 110g or one 220g canister for that trip. Cold food is great unless it's supposed to be hot food.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    hahahaha. Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Plenty of time to test it, how many burns you can get doing the kind of cooking you're planning on doing, etc.
    Yes. Plenty of time to test and I’ve been writing down the time and temp for each boil... also working on the sweet spot of the flame...

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Practice with your system so you know how many boils you will get per canister. I use a sharpie on bottom to keep track of how many “boils” I’ve used.

Yes... good idea. I have been marking each boil with a sharpie... as well as recording outside temp and boil time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Test it. Test it. Test it. Do you have a scale? I did a lot of testing before our LT thru because I (1) knew resupply would be an issue and (2) didn't want to carry extra canisters if I didn't have to. I had a couple of canister stoves, and all of them took ~15g of fuel to boil 2 cups of water in real world (outside, in cool weather, with a breeze) conditions. I ended up buying a Jetboil Sol Ti because of the claimed fuel efficiency, and under the same conditions averaged 5g per boil -- a huge difference (the difference between ~7+ and ~22 boils per 110g canister.) You will be shocked at how much even a very slight breeze kills the fuel efficiency of a typical canister stove with no heat exchanger. Testing indoors won't give you usable results.

I am happy to be wrong about this, but based on that experience I would take either two 110g or one 220g canister for that trip. Cold food is great unless it's supposed to be hot food.
    +1 - As a test, boil/heat the water you would need for a typical day's cooking for the 2 of you. Do this outside on a day with at least a bit of wind. Start with ice cold water to be on conservative side. Weigh a canister before and after this test. The weight difference will tell you how much fuel you will use in a day. Multiply by 7 days. Add a "fudge factor" of at least 10%, unless you have a second way to cook (like over a fire, and you are prepared to do that). The expected fuel consumption will tell you what to bring. I predict your test will show you that you will need at least 3 110g canisters or one 220g and one 110g canister, but your test will tell you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

my girlfriend and i boil three sometimes four times a day . i mean full on meals brother and coffee and scoans at every beautiful vista and i can burn a 8 oz tank up in about 4 and half days . that is in the cold weather with msr , jet boil , giga is what i use for gas . i find that they are the only gas that is reliable for me in cold weather and higher altitudes . that is not full bore burn either . that is get it hot and boiling and turning the flame down to keep a good simmer . i figure 10 to 12 minutes a burn 3 to 4 times a day . i carry a extra anyway no matter what anyways . i like to make sure i have gas just in case something happens . if i run into someone that needs some i can hook them up or if i just find a killer spot i stop and hang out for a day and watch thte sunrise and fall . maybe spot a great lightning storm in the distance while watching the milky way and stars gitter and glow .. anyways ... peace my friends ... Donald "grateful " ballard

Testing is all fine and dandy, but, unless you are testing it with wind conditions like you will see in the wild, your results may vary profoundly, like by a factor of two or more. In contrast 40 degree or 60 degree water doesn't make all that much difference, maybe +/- 15%.

Without wind, 10g of fuel per liter of boiled water is a good broad ballpark estimate with most canister stoves, yes including both JetBoil and BRS3000T because the JetBoil is only 20 to 30% more efficient and wind can change efficiency by a factor of 200% or so.

In the end, plan to have a little more fuel than you think you'll need. It is only a few grams of pack weight for a "safety" margin of your choosing. Then, also realized that running out of fuel isn't particularly horrible, it just means snacking on dry or cold-soaked food either of which could be considered an added adventure in their own right.

Have fun. Glacier will be truly awesome.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    my girlfriend and i boil three sometimes four times a day . i mean full on meals brother and coffee and scoans at every beautiful vista and i can burn a 8 oz tank up in about 4 and half days . that is in the cold weather with msr , jet boil , giga is what i use for gas . i find that they are the only gas that is reliable for me in cold weather and higher altitudes . that is not full bore burn either . that is get it hot and boiling and turning the flame down to keep a good simmer . i figure 10 to 12 minutes a burn 3 to 4 times a day . i carry a extra anyway no matter what anyways . i like to make sure i have gas just in case something happens . if i run into someone that needs some i can hook them up or if i just find a killer spot i stop and hang out for a day and watch thte sunrise and fall . maybe spot a great lightning storm in the distance while watching the milky way and stars gitter and glow .. anyways ... peace my friends ... Donald "grateful " ballard
    Damn! I should hike with you guys

Good advice.

Has any canister stove user ever found a way to weigh their canisters while in the field, using their existing kit with no extras? I'm thinking of a simple balance scale, using water and a graduated cup as your measure. Could be a fun way to spend some time in a shelter, or at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++