WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Ounces are the little-death

Default Kathryn Jones is attempting a selfsupported record.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=6

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3EWhbFHIS/

" I'm planning on using the @eddiebauer Bacon Pack which is a 25 liter light weight pack made for fast ascents. I'm still working on getting my gear to fit properly."

I asked her and she said she hasn't done any ultras. Seems to be some sort of Eddie Bauer sponsored...social media figure? Her pictures online kind of give the impression she's more of an "adventurer" than athlete.

Images

I'm not really into the whole speed hiking scene, but April thru early June seems an odd time to try a FKT attempt due to trail conditions, especially in New England. Temperatures may be good (cool), but the footpath will likely be muddy and slippery. IIRC, all the FKT's are usually September finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm not really into the whole speed hiking scene, but April thru early June seems an odd time to try a FKT attempt due to trail conditions, especially in New England. Temperatures may be good (cool), but the footpath will likely be muddy and slippery. IIRC, all the FKT's are usually September finishes.

what if she's going NOBO?

and are mail drops "allowed" for self-supported FKT attempts?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

It's not that hard to figure out. The blueprint is public knowledge.
    J. P. D. SOBO. June 21. Shortest night. Full moon some years. Start the climb around 11pm. Celebrate in Georgia where it's a way of life.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Karl, Anish, and others were all later in the year. JPD STARTED June 21 SOBO, which meant going through NH and VT in early July, not late May. There's a reason for that, and it's more footpath condition than anything else I believe. And they are the absolute best at what they do. That's why I question the timing.

April thru June implies a NOBO attempt, because we're still under 6 feet of snow here in NH and Maine. (More coming tonight!!) Maine in June will be passable, but sloppy. From the comments above, doesn't sound like a serious threat to the record. "Still [trying to] get my gear to fit"?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    April thru June implies a NOBO attempt, because we're still under 6 feet of snow here in NH and Maine. (More coming tonight!!) Maine in June will be passable, but sloppy. From the comments above, doesn't sound like a serious threat to the record. "Still [trying to] get my gear to fit"?
    Yeah, but the timeline is late April through EARLY June. Which means VT and NH in late May, and then ME in early June. Doesn't sound like the best time to attempt to go fast through New England.

Yeah, but the timeline is late April through EARLY June. Which means VT and NH in late May, and then ME in early June. Doesn't sound like the best time to attempt to go fast through New England.
    The postscript will read something like:
    "The trail conditions in New England were too treacherous to continue."
    Duh!
    If this person is sponsored, don't the sponsors give the plan at least a passing glance? By someone with sense enough to do a casual Google search of successful record attempts?
    The World has lost it's mind.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Messenger, is this somebody we should know? Name doesn't come up so I won't dismiss her out of hand...

On a more practical note:
    I know the Long Trail and parts of Vermont are highly discouraged to use during mud season.
    Are they officially closed though?

Obviously not a practical choice to be on the hardest part of the trail at the worst possible time; but is any part of the trail technically closed?

Fwiw, there was a younger guy Matt met up with on his attempt a few years back. Can't recall his name but he was in good shap, potentially had a shot prior to injury around hot springs. He went NOBO pretty early too...just the way his schedule worked out and he figured better to try a long shot than not try at all.

If that's the case here...kudos to her.
    Let me know when she hits Damascus.

A hammock is her chosen shelter. Hmm? Highly supplemented with lean-to's?

The VT AT segment doesn't get closed, but it should. Only state land is officially off limits.

We have gotten a fair amount of snow this year, pretty close to historic average, but it will melt out fairly quickly. The real question is will it be a wet spring or a dry spring? If it's a wet spring, things just got a lot harder. Still too early to tell, but a wet spring often follows a wet winter.

According to her Instagram post she started on March 29th.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The VT AT segment doesn't get closed, but it should. Only state land is officially off limits.

We have gotten a fair amount of snow this year, pretty close to historic average, but it will melt out fairly quickly. The real question is will it be a wet spring or a dry spring? If it's a wet spring, things just got a lot harder. Still too early to tell, but a wet spring often follows a wet winter.
    Excerpts from a prior post of mine:

Regarding the AT: It's NOT just the LT around Camels Hump and Mansfield that is "off limits". The routing of the AT in the Rutland / Killington area is somewhat complex AND does go over both State and Municipal lands. Take this short section for example of the confusion over "what jurisdiction governs the land am I on?": Going NOBO, about 3 miles past Gov. Clement Shelter (before the side trail to Killington) the AT goes from USFS/AT lands onto VT State Forest and Parks lands. It stays on State (Forest and State lease to Killington Ski) lands for approx 4 miles until about until between Snowden Peak and Pico, where it goes back onto USFS GM Nat Forest/AT Corridor lands for approx 3 miles, then it goes onto Rutland City Forest lands for approx 3 miles until just before Maine Junction, then back onto USFS/AT lands for 2 miles after the AT/LT split, then onto State lands at Gifford Woods State Park for about a 1 mile section, before going back onto USFS/AT lands and continuing east (NOBO).
    You would sure think anyone attempting a FKT would go out of their way to know and abide by State and local rules affecting the AT, especially after the Jurek incident. And that their sponsors, if any, would also raise a red flag.

Joey Camps had posts on his IG about him going for the speed record this year. A much more interesting prospect in my opinion

Yawnnnnnnn.
    More walking, less talking.

Excerpts from a prior post of mine:

You would sure think anyone attempting a FKT would go out of their way to know and abide by State and local rules affecting the AT, especially after the Jurek incident. And that their sponsors, if any, would also raise a red flag.
    Don't count on anyone knowing anything in this day and age.
    Wayne

New start date already.
    April 20-21.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    New start date already.
    April 20-21.
    Wayne
    Oh good, that's when I'll be on Springer. Maybe I'll be able to keep up

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Messenger, is this somebody we should know? Name doesn't come up so I won't dismiss her out of hand...
    No, she's not. I don't have the impression she will make it out of GA on pace if at all. She doesn't have any real hiking or running experience. It honestly takes someone that far removed to think they can do this without the background.
    But she posted on the FKT board so I posted here.

But she is sponsored. She must know what she's doing. Right?
    I read it on the Internet. It must be true.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++