WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I had a very strange encounter on the trail, myself. Mine was Oct. '08' on McAfee Knob. I've told the story so many times I'm tired of sharing it. But, it's just another story of someone on the trail with obvious mental health issues.
    The scariest thing that happened to me was on the side of a road several miles south of Mcafee. I was waiting for family to pick me up and hang out for the day when this black pickup kept driving by. The second time he tried to sling gravel at me and my buddy. The third time he screamed, "GD Hippie!" The next time he came to a stop and said, "let me ask you something, I've served three tours in Afghanistan. Do you suck **** out here for food? I mean i don't get it. I'm out getting shot at and you f*** are you walking around in the woods. You damn hippies are sick". We kept are cool as he called us more names, threatened to kick our butts, and then later threatening to kill us when he saw us again. Trying to be positive, I thanked him for his service before he drove off.

We ended up staying at the next shelter that night after getting dropped back off by family but we were too paranoid to get much sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter'12 View Post
    The scariest thing that happened to me was on the side of a road several miles south of Mcafee. I was waiting for family to pick me up and hang out for the day when this black pickup kept driving by. The second time he tried to sling gravel at me and my buddy. The third time he screamed, "GD Hippie!" The next time he came to a stop and said, "let me ask you something, I've served three tours in Afghanistan. Do you suck **** out here for food? I mean i don't get it. I'm out getting shot at and you f*** are you walking around in the woods. You damn hippies are sick". We kept are cool as he called us more names, threatened to kick our butts, and then later threatening to kill us when he saw us again. Trying to be positive, I thanked him for his service before he drove off.

We ended up staying at the next shelter that night after getting dropped back off by family but we were too paranoid to get much sleep.
    Oh gezzz. FF12... Whoa... that's really bad! I think the family(that picked you up) should have reported that incident to the local police. That dude has anger problems and seems to want to take it out on hikers. Good grief!!

You handled yourself well in that situation.

It's great you shared this story here, so others can take notice. Be careful around that area. I wonder if Joe, at Four Pines Hostel, has heard other hikers talk about this happening to them? How long ago did this happen?

Happened in April 2012. The road was Va. 785.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter'12 View Post
    Happened in April 2012. The road was Va. 785.
    I see...I looked it up in my book. That is right down the road from the Homeplace. Not far at all...

Seems like the dude was suffering from PTSD.....

Threatening to kill someone is pretty serious stuff. police generally take it seriously. Particularly if he knows how. Do you think you should have reported him to the police? Maybe he should be in jail, or forced counseling, before he does hurt someone. Yea PTSD.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Yea PTSD.
    Only if you take that person's word about serving.

Images

In 1977 I was camping on near top of San Jacinto Peak in Souithern California in Feb. Took the Ariel Tram Way to and then started hiking. Found a place in about 6 ft of snow and set up camp. Do not know how cold it got that night but my water bottle next to head was frozen solid when I woke up in the AM. Only reason I got up was because I hear dogs and I knew there were not dogs up there because the only two ways up were by the Tram from Palm Springs or From the Town of Idyllwild on the other side of the mountain and I knew with that amount of snow no one was hiking from Idyllwild that time of year. Turned out they were having snow sled races up there and they brought the sleds and dogs up on the tram. Ended volunteering to work that day as a trail director. Had a blast.

That was not the strange part. The strange part was seeing the women coming off the tram in their high heels, short dresses ect and all made up like they were going to some big Hollywood party and trying to walk around in the deep snow.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

The strangest thing I saw while hiking/camping happened in 1983. That was the first year of a class in my high school called "Wilderness Wise". It was all about nature, the weather, camping, hiking, etc. Awesome class. In May of that year the whole class and the two teachers went on a ten day camping trip with daily hikes on the property one of the teachers owned on Silver Creek here in western New York. There are cliffs forty to sixty feet high along the course of the creek. Standing on the bank of the creek one morning speaking with both teachers there was suddenly a dribble of sand and small pebbles coming down the cliff face and into the creek just feet from us. Naturally we looked up just in time to see a huge whitetail doe come crashing down into the creek with a great splash literally at our feet. That deer didn't miss a step, was up immediately and bounded through the camp. It ran in an arc from left to right jumping tents and dodging between surprised students just emerging from their tents as it was quite early yet. The doe's tongue was hanging out of its mouth the whole time and it kept right on running flat out in that arc which brought it back to the creek by us again. The whole episode took probably less than 15 seconds before it cleared the creek in one bound and went literally straight up the face of that cliff at least forty feet of near 90* vertical and disappeared over the top. I don't think anybody spoke for several seconds yet, just trying to absorb what we had just seen until finally we all burst out in stereo "holy *****"!!!
    It is amazing what a whitetail deer can do when it is pressured.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    The strangest thing I saw while hiking/camping happened in 1983. That was the first year of a class in my high school called "Wilderness Wise". It was all about nature, the weather, camping, hiking, etc. Awesome class. In May of that year the whole class and the two teachers went on a ten day camping trip with daily hikes on the property one of the teachers owned on Silver Creek here in western New York. There are cliffs forty to sixty feet high along the course of the creek. Standing on the bank of the creek one morning speaking with both teachers there was suddenly a dribble of sand and small pebbles coming down the cliff face and into the creek just feet from us. Naturally we looked up just in time to see a huge whitetail doe come crashing down into the creek with a great splash literally at our feet. That deer didn't miss a step, was up immediately and bounded through the camp. It ran in an arc from left to right jumping tents and dodging between surprised students just emerging from their tents as it was quite early yet. The doe's tongue was hanging out of its mouth the whole time and it kept right on running flat out in that arc which brought it back to the creek by us again. The whole episode took probably less than 15 seconds before it cleared the creek in one bound and went literally straight up the face of that cliff at least forty feet of near 90* vertical and disappeared over the top. I don't think anybody spoke for several seconds yet, just trying to absorb what we had just seen until finally we all burst out in stereo "holy *****"!!!
    It is amazing what a whitetail deer can do when it is pressured.
    Wow, that's quite a story!

Default Wilderness Wise

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Wow, that's quite a story!
    It was quite an experience. Anyway to give credit where credit is due that class first offered in 1983 at Clarence High School in Clarence NY was very unique. It was the brainchild of Biology teacher Jim Marshall and science teacher Ken Schnoebrich. Mr. Schnoebrich's land in the hamlet of Smith's Mills is where we camped and hiked.
    As I recall the class was a resounding success and was copied and added to the curriculum by several other high schools in western New York and gradually all over the state in subsequent years.

Jim Marshall and Ken Schnoebrich deserve all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    It was quite an experience. Anyway to give credit where credit is due that class first offered in 1983 at Clarence High School in Clarence NY was very unique. It was the brainchild of Biology teacher Jim Marshall and science teacher Ken Schnoebrich. Mr. Schnoebrich's land in the hamlet of Smith's Mills is where we camped and hiked.
    As I recall the class was a resounding success and was copied and added to the curriculum by several other high schools in western New York and gradually all over the state in subsequent years.

Jim Marshall and Ken Schnoebrich deserve all the credit.
    That's cool!

Journal Entries
    Images

HM you need backup?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

a drunk man with 2 black eyes, carying a sword and a machetti. talk about akward...

Tipi Walter!
    Strange because he was sitting in the Partnership Shelter.
    Nice guy too.

This was the strangest I've seen! (if the image works)
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's the guy

Great. Now I have to cancel my thru-hike. No way I'm going out alone after reading this thread!

What was the story of the woman that hiked for a week or two, never saw another person, got back and had her film developed and the there were like 10 or 15 pics of her sleeping on her camera.

Anyone know the whole story? That one's a bit freaky.

Edit: I guess it's an Urban legend....sure is a good one though!

http://www.123helpme.com/urban-legen....asp?id=154899
    Last edited by Weather-man; 02-03-2014 at 22:26.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Didn't happen to be a bald guy named "That Guy" in 2011 did it? That dude was weird. I remember he camped just short of a shelter one night on his own, and there was a huge storm. He showed up in the middle of the night with only his books (left everything else back at his camp site a couple miles back) and had them all laid out to dry. This guy was making about 4 miles a day as well.
    I have heard a story of a guy who hiked his next section of trail 3 times each day because he would bring half his stuff to his next camping spot then go back for the rest. Maybe the same dude?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Still living it.
    Plans for this year: Borneo trip (again), and Kunming China (if I can talk my son into going along), but yeah, hopefully many more strange encounters comign up.
    Life is priorities. What are yours?
    Not being pretentious is a big one for me

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++