WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsobo View Post
    I was planning to start from the north side of Katahdin and bring my from there pack, start the AT at the summit and then go straight onto the trail... what do most people do? i don't understand how you would use a daypack, or why. So basically just climb to the top of the mountain then straight back?
    That's a good idea and what we did in 2001. The climb up from Chimney pond is short but steep. I think it only took us an hour or so.
    The walk into Chimney pond from the nearest parking lot (roaring something???) was nice too and we saw 2 moose on the way in.

Have a great hike.

Most people are NOBOer's and they leave their pack at the campground and use a daypack for the colder/exposed weather at the top and then hike back down to the same spot. That's why they call it a dayhike.
    Other's go up the AT and down the knife edge which is an awesome hike if the weather is good. (the weather isn't always good in Maine)
    That's probably my personal favorite.
    But your idea, although not as scenic is probably the easiest physically and you don't have to hike the same trail twice. (even though the scenery is different each way of course)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I was planning to start from the north side of Katahdin and bring my from there pack, start the AT at the summit and then go straight onto the trail... what do most people do? i don't understand how you would use a daypack, or why. So basically just climb to the top of the mountain then straight back?
    Most people start form Katahdin Stream, on the west side. They leave their packs on the Ranger's porch and use a daypack he supplies from a bin under the trail register. Then they go up and back down via the Hunt Trail, a 10.4 mile round trip. The up-and-over option from the Roaring Brook trailhead (abt 10.3 via the Saddle trail) with a 10-day food supply in your pack has been done but isn't a recommended way to start a thru-hike. Remember the east side trails won't open for weeks after the trail out of Katahdin Stream.
    Hope this helps.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thanks, that helped a lot. I've actually done the hike up Katahdin as a day hike before, so I'm inclined to just get on with the AT and not do the Knife Edge again... I'm slightly afraid of that heights and that trail was definitely scary as hell. Once is enough...

Journal Entries

I don't think I can use the day pack. Even though it is at the start, I feel like hiking my pack up Katahdin is required. If I was doing a Northbound hike I would hike my pack up and to the finish. Without my full pack, it would be like starting out cheating. To each their own though of course, I still believe in hike your own hike. I am training hard to be in the best shape I can be. I look forward to starting early June and hope to see any of you out there.. especially when I am half way up the mountain and recalling all of your advice about the day packs! haha. Motivating slap on the backs are welcome.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Excell View Post
    I don't think I can use the day pack. Even though it is at the start, I feel like hiking my pack up Katahdin is required. If I was doing a Northbound hike I would hike my pack up and to the finish. Without my full pack, it would be like starting out cheating. To each their own though of course, I still believe in hike your own hike. I am training hard to be in the best shape I can be. I look forward to starting early June and hope to see any of you out there.. especially when I am half way up the mountain and recalling all of your advice about the day packs! haha. Motivating slap on the backs are welcome.
    "Required" by who? Even starting a 2,000 plus mile walk is a rare thing among most of us. Actually finishing -- regardless of the how -- is even rarer. Just staying out of automobiles heading north or south is rare enough for most of us. Adding additional challenges to these rarities is just setting oneself up for failure in my opinion, based on 50 years of observations.

BTW the only one who really cares is you. ATC which issues a paper proclaiming your success asks only that you make a serious effort to hike the entire tral before applying. My advice is to make that your primary goal. Then you will be in truly unique company.

Images

Thanks, that helped a lot. I've actually done the hike up Katahdin as a day hike before, so I'm inclined to just get on with the AT and not do the Knife Edge again... I'm slightly afraid of that heights and that trail was definitely scary as hell. Once is enough...
    Ive been across the knife's edge five times, and it still is not enough.

A couple of additional things
    The hike up Abol Slide Trail and down the AT is a great hike that keeps you out of the weather for as long as possible and gets you on the AT side of the Mountain
    Speaking of weather :
    BSP rangers can and do close the mountain for climbing if they judge the weather on it to be dangerous
    With that in mind it is highly advisable to have a 3-4 window of opportunity for climbing Katahdin and starting your SOBO

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    "Required" by who? Even starting a 2,000 plus mile walk is a rare thing among most of us. Actually finishing -- regardless of the how -- is even rarer. Just staying out of automobiles heading north or south is rare enough for most of us. Adding additional challenges to these rarities is just setting oneself up for failure in my opinion, based on 50 years of observations.

BTW the only one who really cares is you. ATC which issues a paper proclaiming your success asks only that you make a serious effort to hike the entire tral before applying. My advice is to make that your primary goal. Then you will be in truly unique company.

Valid points. There are many obstacles already. haha. I hope the best for those that face these challenges. I will still be hiking up with my pack though.

Quote Originally Posted by Excell View Post
    I don't think I can use the day pack.
    I think everyone who has ever climbed Katahdin will say "Use the day pack!" Once you get there and up into the near vertical rock scrambles you'll understand why.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    Ive been across the knife's edge five times, and it still is not enough.
    But it is squirrelly the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think everyone who has ever climbed Katahdin will say "Use the day pack!" Once you get there and up into the near vertical rock scrambles you'll understand why.
    I always get a charge out of the ones that carry nothing. Then at the summit, a can of Bud comes out of each jacket pocket. How they hike without chapstick is beyond me.

Day pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    But it is squirrelly the first time.

I always get a charge out of the ones that carry nothing. Then at the summit, a can of Bud comes out of each jacket pocket. How they hike without chapstick is beyond me.

Day pack.
    my third time across i had just a half full gallon jug of water and my hiking stick,piece of cake. But then again im a roofer. I get paid to train for this stuff.(ie carrying 80lb bundles of shingles up ladders and working on the edge two or three stories up all day.

I love my job!

andrewsobo
    If you want to climb Katahdin from it's east side w/ a full pack and then go down the AT/Hunt Trail you may want to consider using the Hamlin Ridge Trail
    Ideallly you should spend the night at Chimney Pond CG But if you get a crack- of- dawn- start ,you can do it from the Roaring Brook CG
    http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/...aringBrook.pdf

Has anybody hiked in the Adirondack High Peaks and can say how Katahdin compares? I've been up about 20 of the High Peaks and I'm just curious how this would compare, especially because it seems like a tough hike.

Quote Originally Posted by LandonBarnes View Post
    Has anybody hiked in the Adirondack High Peaks and can say how Katahdin compares? I've been up about 20 of the High Peaks and I'm just curious how this would compare, especially because it seems like a tough hike.
    I am a summer 46er and have 20 bagger in winter conditions so far. You've already hiked some of the toughest mountain terrain in the NE, that being the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. Katahdin will be less surprising but more challenging and equally more beautiful than the High Peaks. Remember, some trails to the summits in the High Peaks are 18 miles round trip and have some nasty ascents and descents. The Knifes Edge made my heart skip a beat for a second; I can only remember one or two spots in the Adi's that made my heart do that. Good luck and don't over analyze the inevitable. You got to get up and down either way!

Hi all, I would love some advice about Katahdin. I meant to start my SOBO thru about 7 days ago, but in my training hikes, I suddenly started suffering some foot problems. I went to a podiatrist and was diagnosed with tendonitis that should be fixed after a week or two of rest. I decided to delay my hike by a month to make sure I got some rest in and moved my flight to Maine to July 14.

My question: should I skip Katahdin? As in, is it worth putting my foot through Katahdin at the very beginning? Should I risk hurting my foot again with an intense hike on the very first day? I have been told by a friend who did a SOBO thru a few years ago that it was a highlight of the trip and not to be missed. However, I would rather do the rest of the trail and do Katahdin another year than only do Katahdin and nothing else this year. Thoughts on risks vs. benefits of these options?

Don't skip it. Just be ready to turn around.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Don't skip it. Just be ready to turn around.
    Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyah View Post
    Hi all, I would love some advice about Katahdin. I meant to start my SOBO thru about 7 days ago, but in my training hikes, I suddenly started suffering some foot problems. I went to a podiatrist and was diagnosed with tendonitis that should be fixed after a week or two of rest. I decided to delay my hike by a month to make sure I got some rest in and moved my flight to Maine to July 14.

My question: should I skip Katahdin? As in, is it worth putting my foot through Katahdin at the very beginning? Should I risk hurting my foot again with an intense hike on the very first day? I have been told by a friend who did a SOBO thru a few years ago that it was a highlight of the trip and not to be missed. However, I would rather do the rest of the trail and do Katahdin another year than only do Katahdin and nothing else this year. Thoughts on risks vs. benefits of these options?

If it were an either/or question I'd say skip it, but it's since it's the most rewarding section of the entire trail, why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by LandonBarnes View Post
    Done a fair am't. of hiking in the DAKs and Katahdin a few times though most of that was long ago. It's possible if I tried it now I'd be much more awed by it. As it was: I was young and fit and full of adrenaline and it was a blast.

I'd give a +1 to AngryGerman's response based on my recollection. The bottom third of Hunt trail is routine for a thru-hiker. The last mile or so, on the summit ridge, is nearly flat, also no sweat. (Very similar to Presi traverse.) It's that middle third where you'll be spending most of your time and energy. Very steep, very exposed. Here's a nice account with pictures of a hike up that trail.

http://www.northeasthikes.com/hunt-t...te-park-maine/

Best done with a day pack, and in that middle third, poles are useless. It's 4100 feet of vertical and 10.4 miles round trip, so plan accordingly. Weather can be all over the map but you already knew that.

Katahdin is weak

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++