WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The end?

Default The end?

Please forgive my curiosity... but after years of whittling down my pack weight, all the while trying to keep my hikes enjoyable, comfortable and safe, I'm beginning to wonder when, if ever, I'll be able to say "that's it, I'm done, my pack is the perfect weight." So let me ask you, ULers: what (if anything) would allow you to conclude "this is it?"
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

When you finally stop researching gear. You pack up and go on a trip without weighing your pack. You may add something back in without worrying about those extra couple of ounces. When that last day before resupply, and your water and food supply has dwindled, you actually forget you're wearing a pack.

You'll know.

When my pack weight became less than 8% of my total weight, it was time to focus on reducing pounds off my body instead of grams off my pack. Simplicity has also become a factor as I replaced using Aqua Mira for the Camelbak All Clear UV water purifier. ~ +1 on ATSeemstress' comments.
    Last edited by couscous; 08-12-2012 at 05:19. Reason: Typo
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

That's a common problem. I'm no UL'er, don't even weigh my pack, but I know what you're saying with respect to wanting to constantly refine/improve. I go through the same thing with riding faster, running faster/further, lifting heavier or increasing reps.... I, on multiple occasions, remember thinking, "If I can only get to this point...I'll just maintain at that level..." However, once I get to that point I'm looking at a new goal. In some situations it can get in the way of your activity and if you don't control it it will be what leads to the mindset of "It's all about the Destination (NOT the journey)".

So my advice is the same as already given in the first reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSeamstress View Post
    When you finally stop researching gear. You pack up and go on a trip without weighing your pack. You may add something back in without worrying about those extra couple of ounces. When that last day before resupply, and your water and food supply has dwindled, you actually forget you're wearing a pack.

You'll know.
    What's that term...., umm, yeah, "Just Do It" , that's it

Images

I knew my ul journey was over when I added my first couple of ounces back in. I ended up about 8 lbs which is light enough that I rarely think about my pack unless I have over 5 days worth of food jammed in it. Some other signs....you don't take your pack off if you stop for a couple of minutes. Or you don't think about the individual weight of items anymore. Or perhaps when your total gear collection is about ten times the weight of what you normally carry and you declare "enough"

Images

Actually, I am about done. Sure there may be some new and better thing comeout in a few years, but I am down where I want to be. Not as low as others, but my "big 4" is hovering around 6 lbs for summer and under 6.5 for winter. I could not ask for any more (I mean less). But things can always change. I may never really be "there."
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

'that's it, I'm done, my pack is the perfect weight"

never happens if you hang around here or gear shops(if you have a choice...)

the constant thing is change.

Just one example..
    On a recent trip the morning after having spent the night on snow we were comparing notes..
    Turns out that in spite of having the lightest sleeping bag I was the only one that had a warm night.
    Mostly had to do with my mat (an Exped DM7) and not much at all with the SB.
    The guys previously happy with their TMs having tried mine changed their mind about "comfort"

Franco

If my father would've said that after WWII, he'd still be carrying the wool and cotton sleeping bags, canvas tent half and 7 lb boots.
    If I would've said that in '80, I'd still be carrying a SVEA, using a camptrails frame pack (aprox 8 lbs), and boots.
    Luckily, I kept an open mind and my pack went from 45 lbs to 15.
    I think most people would do the same.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    the constant thing is change.

Franco
    So perhaps, "it's good for now?"

AT 2012

...I think it would be really sad to say "this is it." The gear thing is part of the walking thing, and i believe thinking about it/both is a powerful tool for retaining sanity. Kind of related to it -- I'll be done sectioning the AT in a month and absolutely don't want to say "this is it" -- but I am a bit scared that that'll be my reaction. I sure hope not...

Maybe you should try an ul wood burning stove...
    Lazarus

Journal Entries
    Images

My pack was 45-50lbs now its 25lbs with 1L of H2O, 4days of food + my gear.I have to say I'm still looking how to lower my weight but I think im to my limit because I want to enjoy my hike so i think at some point comfort/enjoying your hike plays around then. HYOH
    Last edited by hikingshoes; 08-10-2012 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSeamstress View Post

You'll know.
    This is about how I feel. Maybe the last line should read: On the last day before town you feel like you are out for a day hike instead of a multi day backpacking trip.

For me it comes down to the only thing I can do is throw tons of money at it with all cuban fibre or lose too much of comfort by ditching or downgrading a piece of gear.

Images

If pack weight is important to have a no grief trip shouldn't we relate pack weight to body size? I always marvel at these 100 pound women on the trail with my same 19-21 pound base weight. But I'm 225, it's less than 10% to me but 20 % for them. I wish the UL hikers who post would tell us if they weigh 150 or 250.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    If pack weight is important to have a no grief trip shouldn't we relate pack weight to body size? I always marvel at these 100 pound women on the trail with my same 19-21 pound base weight. But I'm 225, it's less than 10% to me but 20 % for them. I wish the UL hikers who post would tell us if they weigh 150 or 250.
    absolutely -- it always seems as though a little more info would be useful... for example, when someone swears that the best trail shoe is blah blah blah, it would be nice to know how many daily miles are averaged on it!
    Lazarus

a bit that I forgot in my previous comment is that you may arrive to an "ideal" gear list and then you find that you start to want/need more comfort, so that frameless backpack is replaced with one that has some structure and the 1/8" mat is just not good enough anymore..
    You of course can go the other way. Having spent years raving about a 6 lbs external you may just by mistake try a minimalistic framed 2 lbs pack and realise how much time you have wasted convincing everybody of the need to have that 6lbs behemoth.
    But that can be part of the fun, a new piece of gear may give you the incentive to go out.
    On the other hand, you can just go hiking and forget about gear...
    Franco

Journal Entries

It shouldnt take years, you can do it in days. Just buy certain items, get rid of others,and voila!

When you get down in 6-8 lb base wt range, you cannot get significantly lighter.

The only way to really get lighter is to be uncomfortable, or not carry food and water. So, you start cutting back on the xs water, and carrying no excess food, only what you calculate is needed. Maybe you stick to the highest cal/oz foods you can find too.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The only way to really get lighter is to be uncomfortable...
    So, is it a matter of weighing the benefits (easy hiking, better speed, more distance, etc.) with the drawbacks (discomfort, lack of water, not enough food)?

Journal Entries

What I mean is I have the following in my pack for 40+ conditions, early summer to early fall:

1lb quilt
    1 lb tent
    1.3 lb pack
    8 oz sleep pad
    0.25 lb cook kit
    1 lb insulation wear (fleece, long underwear)
    8 oz raingear

Theres nothing left to trim that will make a differerence.

Journal Entries

By spending more $$ on a pack like the zpacks exo, and making myself uncomfortable with a smaller pad, I could only cut another 1lb or so.

I can just as easily do that by carrying 1/2 L less water. Or for a 5 day trip, concentrate on 150 cal/ounce food instead of 100 cal/ounce

Images

Good comments, as usual on gear and weight related topics.

This is my hobby, a lot less expensive than most. I enjoy treating myself to new gear as I learn more. Keep a wish list handy, what I have experienced for 100% certain is lighter is better and lighter costs $$$.

Continually working on taking weight off and getting into better shape, for lots of reasons.............still, lighter gear makes for a more enjoyable hike. I start at about 30lbs and eat / drink my way down. After a few days a 22-25lb pack is a joy to carry. My current body weight is about 230lbs, BUT..........adding 25-30lbs is a lot of weight on each step.

Buying my way to a lighter load continues to work, as does NOT taking stuff that I just don't need.

All good.............progressive year to year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++