WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Monson General Store closed

Tim Anderson is one of those people that make the Trail a memorable experience. The poor economy has taken its toll on yet, another Trail legend. His Friday night "jams" of local and visiting musicians were why Maine is such a special place to visit. Real people enjoying lifes simple pleasures. Sadly, Tim has recently closed his doors and will no longer be providing major resupply to hikers. The only available resupply is located in Greenville, Maine (14 miles North of Monson). Hikers should seriously consider their mail drops as well as shuttle options to resupply points. Monson still has a small gas station/conveniance store, but unless you plan to continue your hike supplied with lottery tickets, pizza by the slice and a limited selection of packaged food items, you should plan to obtain your essential needs elsewhere. Visit www.100milewilderness.info to learn more and keep up to date on Trail information......Phil "Quadzilla" Pepin GA>ME '77 & '82 & '10

Journal Entries
    Images

Very Bad News. Wishing them well.

Hopefully he is just retiring and nothing bad has happened? That man is worth much more than his salt.

Tim has "retired"; mostly due to the poor economy. Monson has suffered from the loss of its slate quarry business as well as its furniture manufacturing industry over the recent years. Monson has become a virtual "ghost town" and is dependant upon seasonal (spell that "hikers", "snowmobilers", "hunters") to help support the few Trail providers still a part of the Community. The Lake Shore House, Shaws and 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters www.100milewilderness.info are still serving the Trail Community. I met Tim during my 2010 thru-hike and came to know him as a friend when I decided to relocate my small business in Monson this past year. He was genuine. He was sincere and he will surely be missed. The Trail will not be the same without him!.......Quadzilla

Images

Hopefully, one of the remaining trail friendly establishments will see the need and do what they can to fill the gap in some limited capacity at least. It happens in other areas when a hostel or outfitter expands their re-supply stock.

That's a shame, Tim's the finest kind, and those Friday nights were great fun!

Earlier thread, about the store being put up for sale:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Store-for-Sale
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-26-2012 at 16:33. Reason: link
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Where/how would you recommend a resupply if going SOBO? My plan was to hit White's Landing and do a mini-resupply and then hit up Monson once I got there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    Where/how would you recommend a resupply if going SOBO? My plan was to hit White's Landing and do a mini-resupply and then hit up Monson once I got there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Fill up at Abol Bridge. They have Liptons, tuna packs, oatmeal, rice, etc. Great grilled burgers, buy a sub or two and a bag of chips to carry into the 100 Mile.
    WHL is a great place, eat up again (if you're staying the night). The selection of hiking food is iffy - not because they don't try, but because they get bought out at times.
    There are several folks, including Quadzilla above, who do food drops in the 100 mile, but most hikers just carry the six days of food. You should have a food drop sent to the hostel you're staying at in Monson. Check out AWOL's book and/or the ALDHA Companion.
    In Monson, both Shaws and Lake Shore have small hiker stores offering hiker food staples, plenty to keep a GAMEr set to Katahdin or a MEGA through to resupply further south. You can bang a right coming out of the 100 and head to Greenville, supermarkets, outfitter, restaurants and motels.
    As always, whenever you leave a town, carry some heavy goodies (subs, a frozen steak...) to eat the first night.
    Do NOT bounce a box between Monson and Caratunk. You will get to the Kennebec before your box does.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-26-2012 at 19:07. Reason: SATAIHS
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

The Lake-shore house has a more than adequate resupply in the upstairs. I surely wouldnt go all the way to greenville to get some lipton noodles and instant potatoes. they also have some basic gear on hand (or did when I passed through). While I am incredibly sad to hear that the general store is gone (for now, you never know), it shouldnt affect the logistics of anyone passing through looking for resupply.
    -kreate

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about Tim. He is a great guy a a great musician. When I was in Monson he and Giggles sort of bonded and played us some music. If you plan to resupply at the White House Landing, take plenty of money.

Images

That's too bad. I went thru in '10 and spent two days in Monson, mostly in and around the general store. Tim even let me camp in the back yard, a heck of a nice guy. I seem to remember hearing that another business in town was telling hikers there was little to no resupply there, then charging them for a ride to Walmart. This is just hearsay, but if that's true, it is shameful. Best of luck to Tim.

Quadzilla, are you Phil from Maine in 2010?

Quadzilla and Phil from Maine are one and the same.......Did we meet? Come visit me at my new location in Monson. I will be providing hiker services and am just a 2 minute walk from the AT near Lake Hebron on the "Historic" Appalachian Trail (the Bray Road)

Images

sad news this was one cool place with a lot of character
    hillbilly

Between Shaws and Lakeshore and the BBQ and the Gas station ALL in Monson... the hikers get what they need, grocery stores in monson are only going to feed hikers while they are staying at Shaws or Lakeshore for some R and R!! Between the 7$ all you can eat breakfast... showers...laundry...free internet...comfortable rooms and beds to your self...re-supply and far more.. Monson is a good stop!! That is why it is a TRAIL town now!!.... I wouldnt go to greenville for re supply!! Tims is a good guy, he still is! He still has his gigs on friday night! Come hang out and have dinner at the BBQ or lakeshore and breakfast at Shaws!! Oh ! They do great food drops! there is a post office in Monson and you can send out and receive packages from Shaw's Lodging!

good post teej

Monson has re supply! Shaws and Lakeshore and the robinsons down the street!

++ New Posts ++