WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Given the weather conditions, I would like to think that this is the result of natural causes. Just my opinion.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weather didnt start fire
    It just causd it to spread rapidly
    Authorities have stated it was human caused.

Only natural cause is lightning, and aint been none of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Weather didnt start fire

A tree falling on a power line and starting a fire is half natural and half man made.

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    CNN is reporting fire was human caused.
    With their reputation that leaves a lot of options, maybe aliens did it.

We, Colorado, had a huge Hayman Fire that went ape sheet for several weeks. The hot shot crews were able to save lots of houses, but it must be so much more difficult in a dense woodland like the Smokies. It is beyond imagination the historical, family heirloom, structures that have/could be destroyed in this mess. The winds make things nearly impossible. I would think it has been mega years since a major burn, lots of combustible materials.

Let's pray people get out in time and the human suffering is minimized. Sounds like fire teams from the west are responding, hope it's not too late.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Weather didnt start fire

In Hawaii fires have been started by lava...
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    In Hawaii fires have been started by lava...
    Must have been lava from a Smoky mountain volcano previously thought to be extinct...or acute global warming.

In all seriousness, people died, hundreds of homes burned and many businesses. This whole thing sucks.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

I've only been there twice - not my "cup of tea", so I don't go back. It is a reasonable re-supply for hikers, so in that regard it's a welcome diversion.

That said, we are talking about good people's homes and businesses being destroyed, lives lost, and several folks probably scarred for the rest of their lives. Not really the time or place to debate the relative good, evil, or value to society of the community.

No offense intended, just a comment.
    Last edited by Lyle; 11-30-2016 at 10:08.

Journal Entries

"If you don't have something nice to say, be witty in your cruelty."

Newb, you weren't witty. Just cruel.

My sister lives in Gatlinburg and had to evacuate her home. She sent me pictures she took while she was fleeing and they were terrifying! Her house is made of stone and survived. She told me the fire was intentionally started by a kid and suffice it to say it got way out of control!

Newb,

Probably not. But your little jab at the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area shortly after 250+ structures burned to the ground, after the cities were evacuated, after at least 3 people lost their lives.... says a whole lot about you.

As for me, I love the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area. I take my family there all the time for vacations. We get several days of hiking in the mountains and enjoying creation, but at the end of the day we can head down into the tourist areas and eat good food, stay in a nice hotel or cabin, play some mini golf, do a little shopping. Dollywood has added several good coasters over the last few years and is now becoming one of the better amusement parks in the country. If you don't like Gatlinburg, you don't have to stay there or even drive through there to get to trailheads throughout the park.

But as for me, I enjoy a little tourist trap with my mountain vacation. My prayers are with the first responders, park workers, citizens, and visitors in the Gatlinburg region.

Way to keep it classy. Not the time or place.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    "If you don't have something nice to say, be witty in your cruelty."

Newb, you weren't witty. Just cruel.

Piling on

{Edit}
    I'll admit that the place has often been described as tacky... and I think that is something that has happened over time BECAUSE it's become a popular tourist destination.

I understand that there is a percentage of the population that doesn't like such a town, but to insult a town that has just experienced its worst fire in its history is tackier than the town could have ever been described as.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 11-30-2016 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?
    You and Bryson both apparently. There is a lot of history in Gatlinburg. It was never intended to mimic the rest of the world. It's a great place but you can't go there expecting it to be like some other resort town. People go there because of its unique personality and great people.

It's popular to hate on the area. Sure, its tacky, but it is what it is and I love it. I grew up going there and its exactly what I want it to be. If you don't enjoy the tackiness just drive through and get to your "mountain cabin" or get into the park and you'll never know it was ever there.

Last time I was in Gatlinburg was about 45 years ago with my family camping in the smokies...I loved it, loved the bears, the mountains and especially the smoke! neatest thing I ever saw at the time.

It's raining big time for a few days here in the North East. Hope they get a few more inches down south. During the downpour, and wind storm, I was startled by a mid day bright flash that lit up the inside of my house, then a power loss. The cops and lineman told me that THE FUSE to the transformer blew. Lineman said " Yeah, it's scary when they blow ". When the transformer blows, it can light up the sky for miles, for 5-10 minutes.

It might be too soon to start pointing fingers.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not cool dude. Not the time or place for comments like the above.
    Last edited by Mags; 11-30-2016 at 13:47.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Gatlinburg and pigeon forge only give americans what they like.

It might be a sad commentary on americans in general to some, but not their fault.

Current situation is horrific and the hard working residents deserve respect and compassion regardless.

I grew up in similar type thing. At the beach in FL. When americans vacation at beach, they want all the stupid $hit as well, because...just being at beach isnt enough. Goofy golf things, ripleys, amusement parks, wax museums, trinket shops, go carts, etc, etc, etc

Same people, EXACT same people in SE go to gatlinburg to vacation as well. These are things they can drive to in a day.

If you gonna hate on gatlinburg....hate on whole state of florida too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-30-2016 at 14:09.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    ... The cops and lineman told me that THE FUSE to the transformer blew. Lineman said " Yeah, it's scary when they blow ". When the transformer blows, it can light up the sky for miles, for 5-10 minutes.

It might be too soon to start pointing fingers.
    The source of spot fires around Gatlinburg is being reported as embers from the Chimney Tops 2 Fire blown around by wind gusts (>>50mph).

Because the Chimney Tops 2 Fire has been burning since November 23rd, the timing precludes lightning as the original source of the fire.

The location and extent of the Chimney Tops 2 Fire on November 27th put it at least 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) from the nearest road and miles away from power lines, camp sites, and picnic grounds.

The only other reasonable source of the Chimney Tops 2 Fire would seem to be arson or a discarded cigarette from a day hiker on the Chimney Tops trail.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/11/28/...se-evacuation/
    Here's a copy of the image from the WildFireToday web page. The approximate location of hiking trails are shown in yellow, roadways (including the Chimney's Picnic area) are shown in orange.
    Map_ChimneyTop2_Fire_IR_11-27-2016.jpg
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 11-30-2016 at 14:37.

Whoa so tragic! First time in Gatlinburg was 1997. Me and my pops did a short overnighter, met some thrus up in one of the shelters near Newfound Gap. Shuttled down to town. Definitely not my cup of tea there but the town but the origin of many many good memories for so many I am sure. Praying everyone remains safe! That video is something else, definitely NSFW but incredible.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++