WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Entitled Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    he's running good folks out of town. power trips aren't good
    well then Im sorry, I did not know. I had heard he was doing a great job. I was misinformed

For me, the thing that impresses me about a thru hiker is the fact that they walked the entire trail, continuously. There's something to be said about that.
    They experience the same thing that all types of hikers do but they don't get a break. There's something to be said about pushing through the mental and sometimes physical barriers that one would face in attempting a thru hike.

I realize that some hikers are hiking the trail for the "party" or just kinda lost. I not as impressed with those type of thru hikers. Although, I will always feel that hiking the entire trail, for whatever reason, is still impressive.

It's the hikers that I can relate 2 and their reason for hiking the trail that really blows me away.

I'm not impressed with the hikers that feel like they are "something special" while hiking the trail and the ones that continue the same attitude after they finish.

I knew someone that just finished hiking the trail, told someone random of their accomplishment and received no reaction at all. A lot of people have never heard of the AT and/or don't know much about it. The people that are the most "impressed" are the ones that love to hike.... the very ones that are so hateful sometimes and the most critical. That just blows me away......

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Ok. Finally going to wade into the shallow end here. Or perhaps just dip my toe

I desperately want my children to grow up with a can-do attitude, especially that hard work on the right things brings great rewards - much of which is not necessarily monetary. But I constantly fight a culture that seems to teach the opposite. I'm not entirely sure how. Are standards lower so that achievers reach lower to achieve and the cycle repeats? Do parents give privileges too freely to their kids so that they have an attitude of "I deserve it" without a corresponding "because I earned it?"

I agree that the entitlement attitude is not age-specific on the trail, though I see an alarming trend in young people both kids and young professionals (in my experience conducting hundreds of interviews). I fear the situation may degrade as the issue of hiker entitlement is dwarfed by the much larger issue of a growing sense of personal entitlement (and I'm not talking about political views here at all - just personal responsibility). Sometimes I'm positive that I must look like a nut to my kids because they have to work so hard to get everything and I ride them hard when they do a poor job. I just hope it works out as I hope when they are responsible for paying their own bills, holding a job and, gasp, raising their own children. I know my respect for my parents went up a ton when I graduated college and again when our first baby was born.

Fingers crossed, hands folded.
    Best wishes.
    My motto is brainwash often and brainwash early. My daughter is 13 now, but she still listens, even though it may not seem so.
    Can't just leave her to her friends and society, because friends and society don't get outdoors enough. Kick them or drag them outside to nature as much as you can without getting arrested and let nature do the rest. Regards. :-)

It just occurred to me that teenagers are no longer rebelling against society. They seem to be lapping the slop up just as fast as society is dishing it out. That tells you something right there. That's just messed up. Nature is the answer. Get them out there. The AT is hardly nature, any more than Canterbury Tales was religion, but at least it's along the way.

Dogwood's FIRST Commandment: Thou Shall NOT Whine.

Images

Chaco, you are right. Yes they are some great hikers `out there. Some of the best people on earth are hikers. It just seems like they are a few more who act stupid than they use to be..

Fat girls talking about cardio... That's what the thread has become

I just read through this entire thread and let me tell you, I'm upset.

First of all, my time is valuable and you people are not staying on topic at all. What's all this superfluous crap I'm seeing? As an American, I'm busy and I expect you all to be pithy.

Second, I resent the insinuation that I, as a hiker, am overly entitled. I'm entitled to only as much, and no more, as everyone else. When I'm on the trail that means I expect timely resupply points (a specific guide to upcoming trail magic for the season would be nice), a relatively manicured trail (I understand that some sections are remote...I guess weed-eating every other week would suffice), clean shelters (janitorial service once a week is pushing it but would do in a pinch if the day hikers pitched in and wiped up), a light pack (are there sherpas?), and entertainment (I'm bringing my own gimp).

HYOH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Fat girls talking about cardio... That's what the thread has become
    fat girls need love too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I'm so confused!!!

hey, you're entitled (to feel that way)

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    fat girls need love too.
    I suppose the Fat Bottom Girls video would be going too far.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I suppose the Fat Bottom Girls video would be going too far.
    Never seen it. Perhaps you should post it.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
    never seen it. Perhaps you should post it.
    no!!!!!! ...................

no!!!!!! ...................
    I'm not gonna post HM. He's just trying to cause trouble. He's already seen the video. Probably has it in his favorites. In fact I'm sure he does. Have you seen the ones he's put on the jukebox. It's in that collection.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I'm so confused!!!
    me too. i think i'm a lesbian...

The thought of you being a lesbian is kind of creepy!

It's mostly the bearded lesbian look that is weirding me out!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    The thought of you being a lesbian is kind of creepy!

It's mostly the bearded lesbian look that is weirding me out!
    .................................................. .................

Images

im still having a problem picturing you hiking in robes

Images

Aahhh what the hell... I'm just post ho'ing now...

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++