WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana Hiking In The Heat

If you had only three weeks from Aug 8th to Aug 28th what would be the best section to choose?(estim 15 miles per day) Will it be too hot to enjoy? gonesolong

I'd pick a stretch in NH & ME between the White Mts. and the Bigalows in ME but I personally couldn't average 15 mpd in that terrrain. It's pretty rugged. You have to ask yourself what's more important: covering a lot of miles in the time you have or seeing a spectacular portion of the AT at the best time of year for it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd do Vermont first then into NH

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by gonesolong View Post
    If you had only three weeks from Aug 8th to Aug 28th what would be the best section to choose?(estim 15 miles per day) Will it be too hot to enjoy? gonesolong
    I'd do the Long Trail. But I'm not exactly an impartial judge.

John Muir Trail.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Related to what sbhikes said, if you have any interest in doing some hiking at high elevation out west, August is prime time to do that. I'm hiking in the Wind River Range in Wyoming this August.

A couple of things to consider....

During that time of year, it wont get dark until around 9:00. You can plan to hike early in the day, and late in the day to avoid the extreme heat. Pick a section of trail where there are places to take nice mid-day ciestas. (swimming hole, town stop, nice shelter, vista with a view and shade)

If you arent already in shape, then 15 miles a day will be a long day, anywhere on the AT. You might want to avoid hikes like NH and Maine. Vermont, Mass, CT, and NY would be nice choices. PA has a lot of state parks with swimmg pools and picnic pavillions to relax at.

Not sure how far you plan to drive (from Lousiana?). There are some great places in TN/NC/SoVA that wont be too bad either.

If you are arent absolutely hooked on hiking along the AT, then consider, the Benton McKaye Trail, any hiking in the Smokies, The Sheltowee Trace.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

the whites are spectacular in august, but 15 miles a day is very ambitious.Usually much cooler above treeline, but I did the franconia-crawford section 3rd wk of august 2009 and it was in the 80s even above treeline.As others have mentioned NH/ME is outstanding, but you may need to slow down a bit, very challenging terrain, especially western ME.and late august the sun is gone long before 9pm, especially in valleys.

Assuming the OP is willing to travel anywhere...

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Assuming the OP is willing to travel anywhere...

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.
    Cooker, sounds logical but there are too many JMT'S, BMT'S, CDT'S, OP'S, can you help a beginner with hints about what/where these are?

Images

John Muir Trail (part of the Pacific Crest Trail out west), Benton MacKaye Trail, Continental Divide Trail.

(OP- Opening Post/ Opening Poster, etc...)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

PS- BMT is Georgia to Tennessee. And begins with the AT.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    A couple of things to consider....

During that time of year, it wont get dark until around 9:00. You can plan to hike early in the day, and late in the day to avoid the extreme heat. Pick a section of trail where there are places to take nice mid-day ciestas. (swimming hole, town stop, nice shelter, vista with a view and shade)

If you arent already in shape, then 15 miles a day will be a long day, anywhere on the AT. You might want to avoid hikes like NH and Maine. Vermont, Mass, CT, and NY would be nice choices. PA has a lot of state parks with swimmg pools and picnic pavillions to relax at.

Not sure how far you plan to drive (from Lousiana?). There are some great places in TN/NC/SoVA that wont be too bad either.

If you are arent absolutely hooked on hiking along the AT, then consider, the Benton McKaye Trail, any hiking in the Smokies, The Sheltowee Trace.
    Thanks for the good advice. Will you expand on why your recos not to do NH? The distance from Louisiana is not a concern as I will be near mid-trail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the whites are spectacular in august, but 15 miles a day is very ambitious.Usually much cooler above treeline, but I did the franconia-crawford section 3rd wk of august 2009 and it was in the 80s even above treeline.As others have mentioned NH/ME is outstanding, but you may need to slow down a bit, very challenging terrain, especially western ME.and late august the sun is gone long before 9pm, especially in valleys.
    I will take that advice about shortening the days. As far a the views, is NH a bit sparse compared to southern locations or is that a wrong impression? I do want to avoid the heat but also don't want to give up the chance to see some of the better views.

The White Mts. of NH along with the first 75 miles in Maine are beautiful and rewarding but very strenuous compared to most of the rest of the AT. There are several 2,000' and 3,000' ascents and descents, often very steep. And the footing is rough and rocky in many places. So a 15 mile up there takes a much larger toll on your body than 15 miles in the mid-Atlantic, and a 3,000' ascent/descent in NH/ME is much tougher than one in NC or TN.

This is why I recommended hiking there but adjusting your mileage expectations. I don't mean to disrespect your level of conditioning but aerobic fitness alone - while vital - doesn't guarantee against the stress from Northern New England hiking on your hips, quads, knees, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesolong View Post
    I will take that advice about shortening the days. As far a the views, is NH a bit sparse compared to southern locations or is that a wrong impression? I do want to avoid the heat but also don't want to give up the chance to see some of the better views.

Didn't see your last post before my previous response. To get an idea of views, click on this link to the WB photo gallery, scroll down to "Views in New Hampshire," and take a look for yourself. Do the same for Maine. Also you can go to this photo from my '05 trail journal in Maine and scroll along. The views will captivate you!

Images

I agree that Whites would be #1 choice. Grayson Highlands is nice area that usually doesn't get too hot, but eventually you'd have to come on down into the Virginia humidity. Virginia hiking in August is toasty.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

a second on taking advantage of the long days, start early, around 1-2 in the afternoon stop and find a shady spot to take a nap, wake up when it starts to cool down, hike till its dark...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

The Whites offer some really tremendous views above the tree line though as many have mentioned, the hiking is pretty strenous. The weather can also be pretty fickle there so be prepared for just about anything weather wise if that the route you choose. Vermont is also great in August in my humble opinion. If you started at the MA/VT line that gives you about 140 the the NH border witht he terrain increasing in difficulty as you head north.

Images

If it were me, I'd start at Katahdin and hike south. The whites are awesome, but the crowds turn me off. In my opinion, a lot of Maine is as hard as the Whites.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++