WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdShooter View Post
    I was an extra in two scenes in the film - one at Rainbow Springs, N.C. and the second in the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine. Both scenes were very funny (and shot around Atlanta, Georgia). Nolte is great as Katz, and the production company did make an effort to include actual A.T. thru-hikers and section-hikers in the movie.

But I agree - the film will definitely impact the A.T. in 2016 and beyond. Hopefully the increased awareness will bring additional funding to the ATC.
    I hope you make the cut!

What was he experience like?

Did they change your look much or accept you the way arrived for the shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    There's been a lot of talk lately about the increase in the number of hikers that will result from the recent movie releases. I bet there are more than a few folks that who have decided that hiking is not for them after reading about the hiker who was killed by a bear this last September. One more incident like the one in NJ and the numbers will be going down.
    I was thinking the same. What happened to all the bear reports? Should be some good lightly used gear coming on the market too after many drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    There's been a lot of talk lately about the increase in the number of hikers that will result from the recent movie releases. I bet there are more than a few folks that who have decided that hiking is not for them after reading about the hiker who was killed by a bear this last September. One more incident like the one in NJ and the numbers will be going down.
    Call it a hunch, but the people that are worried about bear attacks were never gonna hike anyway.

Katz has more AT miles than Bryson. And Katz was fictional.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

If anybody is coming in to Park City for the Sundance showing, let me know. I've got a couch I'll share.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, really.
    Sure they are fine actors but they carry too much of a past for me to get excited about the movie.
    Would love to see some new names as the head liners...
    I don't disagree, but recently we saw a movie with both of these "classics" (RR is nearly 80, NN is 73), "The Company you Keep" and ya know, Redford and Nolte still pull it off quite well. But really, Bryson is in his early 60's, quite a difference. All being said, I cannot wait to see this one! Emma Thompson, Mary Steenburgen, good cast. Great book.

Lame objections.

When reading the book unless Bryson mentions it, you don't know how old he is. Besides, I hiked with a guy on the CDT that was in his 70's and he could out hike just about anyone on this website.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Lame objections.

When reading the book unless Bryson mentions it, you don't know how old he is. Besides, I hiked with a guy on the CDT that was in his 70's and he could out hike just about anyone on this website.
    I wasn't slamming old farts, I am one myself, just the character in the book seems way younger than Redford (Bryson was in his 40's), but again, Redford still pulls off his parts quite well despite being near 80.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I wasn't slamming old farts, I am one myself, just the character in the book seems way younger than Redford (Bryson was in his 40's), but again, Redford still pulls off his parts quite well despite being near 80.
    I'm getting old myself but Redford and Nolte look younger in the screenshots. Age doesn't play a role in hiking experience, so for this movie I just don't think casting or age is as important as good acting.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Actually this Redford movie that came out last year is quite good. Has been getting a slow, word of mouth, build up.

Not about hiking, but surviving in the wild..more specifically the ocean. Hardly any dialogue. Think some of you may like it.

It is avail for streaming on Netflix.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This is the only Redford movie that matters---
    [/IMG]
    There sure are some great old ones. My personal favorite though is still Butch & Sundance, after which I assume the festival/area is named? Then there's The Sting.... Sneakers. On the flip side, yikes, there's The Way We Were. Still haven't gotten over seeing that one (for wife, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Actually this Redford movie that came out last year is quite good. Has been getting a slow, word of mouth, build up.

Not about hiking, but surviving in the wild..more specifically the ocean. Hardly any dialogue. Think some of you may like it.

It's called All Is Lost and I saw it recently and did some further research on the pic---

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...review-sailors

And who can forget a "River Runs Through It"? He is not acting in it of course (well except for the narration)..but definitely a film that has Redford's "voice" all over it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

It's called All Is Lost and I saw it recently and did some further research on the pic---

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...review-sailors
    Sorry, but this reminds Star Trek nerds picking apart a new Star Trek movie.

I'm sure if Roman legions watched "Julius Caesar" on stage (and had a magical translation device) they would pick that apart that too.

Just watch the movie and enjoy or not.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Of course if you are not too keen on having the movie distributed nationwide, I know a particular country that can arrange to have it canned

Hey! Thank you, Mags.

That is the solo sailing movie I wanted to see, that did not get to a movie theator near me.

I have Netflix.

I am glad the two lead actors in this Bryson movie are in their "seniority".

I did not read the entire book. I don't know if Bill Bryson ever got into lightweight backpacking.

I don't know if the movie will show anyone lightweight backpacking.

There are so many backpackers, that are "senior citizens" by now.

I think many, if not nearly all, "seniors" think they cannot backpack, now, although they really loved backpacking, hiking, walks, or, outdoor photography in their 20's.

If they see the lightweight backpacking, now, I think they would get back to backpacking.

Many, if not most "seniors" can afford to purchase gear they admired in their "salad days" when they were much younger. I know my 20's were "salad days".

I still got outdoors, mountainclimbing, hiking, walks, and outdoor photography. I never considered myself a backpacker. Huh? I am hiking.

I even tried birding, sitting with a bird book and bird apps and binoculars in a parking lot on a famous "flyway". I also sat at a pond, early morning and early evening. I even sat at a parking lot, near the shoreline to see the sea-birds, early morning and early evening.

Why? I am getting older. I may need something more sedentary.

Hah! Seniors HIKE!
    Last edited by Connie; 12-19-2014 at 13:50.

This is the only Redford movie that matters---
    One of my all time favorites!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

That was good. He also produced http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318462/ which is the story of Che Guevara's pre-revolutionary journey by motorcycle up South America. Very Good.

I see a common thread between some of these movies, and actually can't think of who I would trust more to pull AWITW off. I hope I'm right!

I am in that "Roman Legion". <sigh>

The first few seconds, right after the narrative, I could not bear to continue watching.

Another time. Maybe I will find Dove, another solo sailing movie, on Netflix or Hulu.

I was season champion, Division R Yacht Racing Association, San Francisco Bay and ocean.

I could not "handle" watching absolutely everything done, and, shown by the movie, wrong.

Absolutely Everything.

I had to stop.

But, thank you. I never thought of looking for any movies on Netflix or Hulu. They ask preferences. I named old tv series. They "suggest" other tv series.

Why did I not know they have movies. Duh!

If the Bill Bryson, or, Wild never come to a theator near me, maybe Hulu, maybe Netflix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++