WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Does the snow sometimes cover up the white blazes? Is it harder to keep the trail in the snow? I would think it would be more difficult in snow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Does the snow sometimes cover up the white blazes? Is it harder to keep the trail in the snow? I would think it would be more difficult in snow.
    Sometimes snow or ice covers branches or even trunks. I have done many hike in N. ga and beyond and didn't have trouble finding the trail. The biggest issue is when the branches collapse the green tunnel. I have had to crawl through some sections like this and it quickly becomes type 2 fun.

If a wet snow is blowing in the right direction it can stick to the sides of trees and hide the blazes, but that is rare. The most trouble is finding where the trail goes back into the woods after crossing an open area like a bald, especially if your in an active storm.

Since the trail is generally beaten down into the earth, following a depression in the snow is usually the trail. If your the first one on the trail after a storm, you have to pay a bit more attention to keep track of it then usual. Then next few people to follow have to hope the one leaving foot prints in the snow knew where they were going...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We had a couple sections were the blazes have been covered. At that point we're looking for cut trees across the trail. Leaving g Damascus today, and heading towards Atkins. Not sure how long it's going to take, but we have 7 days of food.
    AT15
    OT15

In Atkins tonight and tomorrow. Got the Lost Moutain Shelter on day one to see 18 people there. Camped in the rain that night, and stuck around the shelter the following days to dry out. Ended up staying there 3 nights due to sleet the following day. The 3rd night there the temp was t degrees, and I had a popped sleeping pad since night one. The next night was Thomas Knob Shelter for an 11 degree night night. Then onto Old Orchard, Trimpi, and finally Partnership. Temps is the 50's during the day, and warmer nights.
    AT15
    OT15

In Pearisburg VA now, and should be back on the trail Sunday. Great weather for since leaving Atkins. Last night was the coldest night at 33 degrees.
    AT15
    OT15

Hitting the trail in the morning. We're starting something new this section. Starting this we're going to do no less than 15 miles a day. We'll see how that goes.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Hitting the trail in the morning. We're starting something new this section. Starting this we're going to do no less than 15 miles a day. We'll see how that goes.
    Take your time, it will be awhile before all the snow melts in NH and Maine. You don't want to get here too early. Also the footing on some of those ridge walks north of Pearisburg can be tricky, a lot of it is slanted at a 30 degree angle.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Take your time, it will be awhile before all the snow melts in NH and Maine. You don't want to get here too early. Also the footing on some of those ridge walks north of Pearisburg can be tricky, a lot of it is slanted at a 30 degree angle.
    Just made it to Daleville, and in good weather the entire way from Pearisburg. Hitting the trail in the morning, and heading towards Glasgow. Almost forgot about getting snow yesterday at McAfee.
    AT15
    OT15

We made it to Harpers Ferry today. Went to the ATC office, registered, and we're numbers 9 & 10 for this year's NOBO'S. Getting back out tomorrow since Harpers Ferry is pretty pricey. Plus we got our lighter gear, and we're ready for some 20+ mile days.
    AT15
    OT15

For those that still wonder. We'll be entering the White's on Friday or Saturday.
    AT15
    OT15

For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so.

Well, everything worked exactly like we planned, and we even finished on the exact date we planned to 4 months ago.

AT15
    OT15

For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so on.

Well, everything worked exactly like we planned, and we even finished on the exact date we planned to 4 months ago.

AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries

Congratulations, B&B!
    Glad you made it.

Congratulations!!
    it's been in the mid 90s and humid here in St. Louis the past couple of weeks.

I followed you guys on instagram & facebook. Have to say I was rooting for you the entire time. Thank you for sharing your journey & success! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so on.

So? You skipped GSMNP because they don't allow dogs and yet you snuck it into Baxter?

That's a good lesson for those school children.

Thanks for giving Baxter one more reason to dislike AT hikers.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    So? You skipped GSMNP because they don't allow dogs and yet you snuck it into Baxter?

That's a good lesson for those school children.

Thanks for giving Baxter one more reason to dislike AT hikers.
    You're incorrect in your statement. Maybe do some research, and then come back with correct answers. We contacted Baxter Headquarters before entering the park. Actually calling them from Abol Bridge, and talking with them for about 20 minutes. We had permission to bring the dog in with us. We were greeted by the AT Steward John at the park entrance, and he even told us the office let him know about us coming through. They have very strict guidelines in situations like this, and we did everything they asked to the T. After coming down, many park workers actually stopped to talk with us, and even asked how everything went. There was no sneaking, no rule breaking, and nothing done wrong. Thanks for living up to the WhiteBlaze community that bashed us at the beginning, and now the end. Guess things will never change.

A good lesson for those school children would be to not jump to conclusions before you have the facts you need to get an accurate answer. There are legal ways of getting pets into Baxter if you do something very simple called research.
    AT15
    OT15

Congratulations!!
    it's been in the mid 90s and humid here in St. Louis the past couple of weeks.
    We've been back since Saturday, and the humidity sucks the life out of you.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

Any person with a service animal should not be grilled by ANYONE for 20 minutes. I feel horible that you had to be subjected to that-- even if the interrogation was done with a veil of kindness.

I think you should file an ADA complaint -- not only for yourselves, but also for all the other who travel with a service animal, and as an example for your students. Discrimination of any kind simply should not be tolerated.

Congrats a a successful 4-season hike!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++