WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    You said whites are the majority in every national park. That's not true. ................
    78% of visitors to national parks are white according to the National Park Service. Check it out yourself on page 10 of this report. https://www.nature.nps.gov/socialsci...eEthnicity.pdf
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    78% of visitors to national parks are white according to the National Park Service. Check it out yourself on page 10 of this report. https://www.nature.nps.gov/socialsci...eEthnicity.pdf
    A 10 year old report, the deltas aren't that far off, and can be easily explained by income disparity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I admittedly didn't peruse every post but after identifying the problems what is each (white)person here doing positively to introduce or influence the impoverished(of all walks of life) or minorities to nature oriented activities?

I'll start by admitting I could do much more but:

1) Intentionally donate old or extra but not trashed outdoor gear to those in greater need than myself

2) Buy and donate new outdoor gear contributing in some small ways where able

3) Involve myself in outdoor community gardens in inner cities where participants are taught to grow their own food, often organically, and where their food comes from

4) Organize and lead volunteer hikes and nature walks.

5) Invite Newbie others to trail maintenance sessions and Gatherings
    Why do you think minorities (or impoverished...Im sure they appreciate being lumped together) care about participating in your hobbies?

Now you're trying to change the question (with a 10yo report). You asserted that whites are the majority in *every* national park. That's a bold claim and I haven't seen anything to support it.

I will note that according the census bureau, whites make up 76.9% of the population, so if they make up 78% of park visitors (per your own link) , that means there's not a problem.

There has to be no correlation between the two. I wasn't implying there had to be. I do think people of all persuasions can benefit from Nature or getting outdoors though. So do many authors and researchers.

Time in nature is not leisure time(hobby time); it's an essential investment in our chidlren's health (and also, by the way, in our own). Richard Louv

I will note that according the census bureau, whites make up 76.9% of the population, so if they make up 78% of park visitors (per your own link) , that means there's not a problem.
    Exactly. It's almost gotten to the point that if every racial, ethnic, and sexual persuasion is not represented in something it becomes a problem for some.
    It is what it is.

........I will note that according the census bureau, whites make up 76.9% of the population, so if they make up 78% of park visitors (per your own link) , that means there's not a problem.
    Black people are 13% of the US population but only 7% of national park visitors so according to your own logic that is a problem. You say that white folks aren't the majority in every national park so point out some facts on just one national park that support your view.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 11-26-2017 at 19:41.

Black people are 13% of the US population but only 7% of national park visitors so according to your own logic that is a problem.
    Well if it is a problem, it's not the problem the author was looking for. If white visitor percentages are on par with the population, then there goes the culprit they were clearly looking for. Better go tell the minorities that they're not doing their fair share of visitation.

Black people are 13% of the US population but only 7% of national park visitors so according to your own logic that is a problem. You say that white folks aren't the majority in every national park so point out some facts on just one national park that support your view.
    You spout off conjecture and then demand others prove you false?

I already gave you anecdotal evidence which you seemed to agree with, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

As for your first comment - that's your rationale, not mine. If you want a completely even distribution of all races among all activities, that's a bit silly - though the difference is easily explained by the fact that blacks are more likely to live in urban environments.

Going to have to bookmark this thread for the next thread about trails being too crowded....

Time to chime in: If we want to expand the number of people using, and therefore supporting wilderness and trails, doesn't it make sense to look to underrepresented groups who might be interested, but not comfortable in doing do? I'm a retired teacher. Plenty of us out there I expect. Probably no need to encourage or enable that demographic. Lets help everyone become familiar with what we do, and watch our numbers grow.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Also, why does this matter?

You spout off conjecture and then demand others prove you false?

I already gave you anecdotal evidence which you seemed to agree with, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

As for your first comment - that's your rationale, not mine. If you want a completely even distribution of all races among all activities, that's a bit silly - though the difference is easily explained by the fact that blacks are more likely to live in urban environments.
    Let me get this straight, you agree that that 78% of people who visit national parks are white but some how think that white people aren't a majority of national park visitors and then get all offended when somebody asks you to prove your point that white people aren't the majority at national parks. Anecdotal evidence (which I didn't agree with) isn't evidence it is just your opinion which which you can't back up with facts. You can believe anything you want to, I don't care but don't start with the conjecture crap when that is all you have.

Let me get this straight, you agree that that 78% of people who visit national parks are white but some how think that white people aren't a majority of national park visitors and then get all offended when somebody asks you to prove your point that white people aren't the majority at national parks. Anecdotal evidence (which I didn't agree with) isn't evidence it is just your opinion which which you can't back up with facts. You can believe anything you want to, I don't care but don't start with the conjecture crap when that is all you have.
    You continue to misrepresent what I said. But, since you literally said "...evidence isn't evidence" I doubt I'll have luck convincing you. Have a good night - happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm a retired teacher. Plenty of us out there I expect. Probably no need to encourage or enable that demographic.
    What if the teachers are black?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    If you are a member of the ATC (or AMC) you can support those organizations, formal outreach to a broader base of people — which includes younger people as well as underserved minority groups — through your own active participation, contributions, or just by speaking up.

Some of the comments in this thread notwithstanding, I can say without any equivocation that I believe they are, and I hope they are not too discouraged by what they may have read on White Blaze.

At Joshua Tree National park you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an Asian climber. If the author of the article were to go hiking anywhere around Los Angeles she might be surprised at the people she sees on the trails.

There have been structural barriers in the past. Once upon a time, you had to be sponsored to become a member of the Sierra Club. And in the Angeles Chapter if you were Jewish, black or asian, forget about it. Those barriers were removed by a good man named Tom Amneus.

It's not so much a racial thing as a class thing. If you don't have discretionary income, you're not likely to spend hundreds of dollars on the latest equipment and entrance fees.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    It's not so much a racial thing as a class thing. If you don't have discretionary income, you're not likely to spend hundreds of dollars on the latest equipment and entrance fees.
    Also people who live in cities and do not have cars aren't going to make it to distant trails and will stick to trails closer to the city, if they hike at all. As someone who has voluntarily forgone ownership of a motor vehicle for some time, I can say that using local trails accessible by public transit is more attractive than renting a car. Of course, where I used to live, I could get on a train and be at Harpers Ferry in about an hour, plus there were lots of urban trails to hike as well. It was not unusual to see minorities on the local trails in the city (Washington DC, Rock Creek Park, C&O Canal, Potomac Heritage Trail, etc). I'm not sure what the income level of those minorities might be and never have given it much thought.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Because we live in a time, for weal or woe, where everything is associated politically with the identity of some group of people, be it gender, race, religion, or whatever. We can't afford to having wilderness preservation be dismissed as a "rich white men's issue" or the populist segments of both wings of the political spectrum will tear it to shreds. If there is no value to the wilderness beyond its being a playground for rich white men, then the rest of the populace will have no interest in seeing it protected, and it will diminish and fail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Because we live in a time, for weal or woe, where everything is associated politically with the identity of some group of people, be it gender, race, religion, or whatever. We can't afford to having wilderness preservation be dismissed as a "rich white men's issue" or the populist segments of both wings of the political spectrum will tear it to shreds. If there is no value to the wilderness beyond its being a playground for rich white men, then the rest of the populace will have no interest in seeing it protected, and it will diminish and fail.
    What he said.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++