Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Waterproof shoes are fine for short duration hikes. In hot weather they will make your feet warmer than breathable shoes, which can increase the possibility of blisters. Nearly all long distance hikers I know use breathable low topped shoes. For rainy weather of a day or two, you can wear waterproof socks inside the shoes and achieve the same results as waterproof footwear, with the advantage that you can appreciate the ventilation of your shoes on warmer days without the waterproof socks (also, waterproof membranes in footwear eventually get contaminated with body oils and salt from sweat, and will begin to leak. They are also subject to extreme wear, unlike a jacket or pants, and once worn out, not only leak, but still cause your feet to sweat). Waterproof socks can be easily laundered and replaced when worn.
Hey Tinker, this is a waterproof shoe. .>>

Review-Merrell-Siren-Sport-Gore-Tex-XCR-Shoes.jpg

They are vented from front to back with an open mesh. They do not get hot. A huge difference from waterproof lets say five years ago and even these Merrel's pictured are most likely are about to disappear. When soaking wet they don't retain water.

I simply read your post and I think you are talking about a different product.