My flip-flop "thru" (at least ATC calls it such) is going from September 3, 2011 to August(ish) 2012. I have been doing the easy stuff first, will be getting some winter experience from Nov-Feb, then plan on experiencing the first 25-35 miles of a traditional NOBO thru from Springer (Hike-Inn access to Springer to Woody or Neels Gap) beginning President's Day Weekend (February 20, 2011).

I then plan to stay the rest of the week, and hike the rest of Georgia with a lighter pack -- either basing out of Hiker Hostel or a condo in Helen (condos are crazy cheap in winter). For example:

Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap -- 2 day hikes (7+13), or overnighter (20 miles)
Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek -- long day hike or overnighter (17 miles)
then if time remains, Dicks Creek to ?? -- probably 1 or 2 overnights (36.5 miles to Wallace Gap, unless possible to break hike earlier)

Any comments appreciated! I am especially interested in any way to break the Dicks Creek to Wallace Gap hike -- especially since the Forest Roads will likely be closed until March 15th.

Also, feel free to PM me if you want to share shuttles, or if you want to save some $$ and help keep me awake for the drive down from the DC area.

"Forty-two"