I am soon to be a college student, and I was hoping between a possible family vacation, a trip to Europe, and the start of freshman year, I could hike the Long Trail.

The first possible timeline will be something between July 31 to August 18, depending on the details of the travel overseas and the start of orientation of the college I am accepted into (I'm still undecided on which I am attending). The second tentative timeline would be between June 25 and July 8, when I will probably leave for France -- though I could very well start the hike earlier than June 25. I've heard that hiking the Long Trail usually takes around 3 weeks, but I was wondering if two weeks and a few days, or shorter, would still be doable.

My prior hiking experience includes some backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the Whites (about a week, though very slow going) and hiking from a bit north of the Mahoosucs to Pinkham Notch in the Whites (about two weeks, still slow going but some rough days).

If I felt too rushed, I'd be willing to do only part of the LT-- probably the portion that isn't contiguous with the AT, as I plan a thru-hike in the future and will see that part anyways -- though I'd prefer doing the entire trail. I'd most likely hike it alone (I hope you don't think I'm too young, I'll be 18 by then). What do you think would make the most sense?