ATC is hosting its annual Holiday Celebration at our headquarters and visitor center in Harpers Ferry tomorrow (12/7). The highlight (even more than the free food and mulled cider) will be Derick "Mr. Fabulous" Lugo doing a book signing of The Unlikely Thru-Hiker. He's scheduled to be there from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm but hopes to be around longer.

Mr. Fabulous is one of the most outgoing hikers you'll ever meet. Even if you're not into buying books or holiday shopping, if you live in the area, stop by and say hello. You won't regret it.

This weekend and next is also Olde Tyme Christmas in Harpers Ferry, when our town is at its most charming and beautiful. There will be horse-drawn carriages, Father and Mother Christmas strolling through town, a living nativity play, harp music, luminaries, old-timey decorations and more: Here's the schedule for tomorrow:

Here's the blurb from our press release:

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. (Nov. 25, 2019) – The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) invites everyone to join us for our Annual Holiday Celebration Open House at its Visitor Center in Harpers Ferry from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, December 7. Visitors will enjoy warm drinks and snacks, and a chance to meet some of the wonderful volunteers who help maintain the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) and provide visitors with essential hiking knowledge.

The highlight of the Holiday Celebration will be a book signing from 12-2 p.m. by Derick “Mr. Fabulous” Lugo, author of “The Unlikely Thru-Hiker: An Appalachian Trail Journey.” Lugo’s book chronicles his 2012 thru-hike of the A.T., a journey that started with an overweight pack and little preparation besides a “can-do attitude.” By the end of his hike, Lugo learned invaluable lessons on “preparation, humility, race relations and nature’s wild unpredictability.” Lugo has since become a great presence in the A.T. hiking community, delivering presentations at multiple Trail events and starring in the ATC’s myATstory video, “Trail Brothers.”

Derick Lugo, author of "The Unlikely Thru-Hiker: An Appalachian Trail Journey," will sign copies of his book from 12-2 p.m. on December 7 as part of the ATC Holiday Celebration.

“It feels like I’m coming home every time I visit Harpers Ferry,” said Lugo. “The people at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy are like family to me. Similar to my thru-hike journey, my book tour would not be complete if I did not make a stop at this historic small town.”

“Derick’s story offers a wonderful perspective on how welcoming the Appalachian Trail community is and what a rewarding and transformative experience hiking the Appalachian Trail can be,” said ATC Visitor Services Supervisor Jeff Metzger. “It is a perfect message for the holidays, and we are thrilled that Derick will be able to share it with our visitors during our celebration.”

For more information about the Annual Holiday Celebration Open House and Derick Lugo book signing, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/holiday2019.

By the way, I personally found the book very entertaining, insightful, humorous, with a different perspective than any book I've ever read about the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie P.