WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Out with the old, in with the new(Sawyer)

Sawyer Squeeze, Micro and Mini.
    20190416_031622.jpg
    The Mini is the lightest, but both slower and more prone to clogging. It was the cause of much untoward language when I used it for a week in the CO Rockies several years ago, as it quickly developed a need for constant backflushing(like at least once per use), and hasn't been used much since.

My old setup.
    20190416_031751.jpg
    The tube the Squeeze is shown in also serves as a dipper. Very handy on the rare occasion I gather water from a trickle, more compact than a cut down water bottle, and easier to use than a ZipLoc/cut down Platy/whatever(though heavier than all of those). Except for summer in the South, it never gets used, so I'm comfortable ditching it the rest of the time.
    It will stay with the Squeeze and another Evernew bag in my dayhiking pack, as I have some long ones planned.

Squeeze:
    20190416_031827.jpg

Micro w/stuff sack and 1.5L Evernew:
    20190416_031715.jpg
    That's "wet weight" after using the filter, while the Squeeze had not been used in over a week and may have dried out, so switching things around dropped ~3.5oz minimum.
    I like the Squeeze just fine, but wanted an extra filter that was not the Mini. The Micro being less bulky and lighter are both good in my book. The "cleaning coupling" works great with Smartwater bottles and Platypus bags, and is also lighter than the water tornado that I've always used with the Squeeze filters.
    As long as the Micro does well at maintaining its flow rate, it's all good.

No idea what's up with the attachments. It made me reload the pics after timing out...
    Last edited by OwenM; 04-16-2019 at 10:53.

++ New Posts ++