WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: JMT & Permits

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default JMT & Permits

Im attempting to plan a thru-hike of the JMT this summer season ( first time - & solo ) and i must say that the permitting process is a bit disenchanting. Of course i am entered into the rolling 21 day lottery, which has thus far yielded nothing but denials = "no luck". Im aware of the NoBo option being somewhat easier to arrange with permitting, but id really like to do this trip the traditional SoBo route. Do they issue any of the "walk up permits" for the JMT out of the valley or just at the Tuolumne side of the park ? Im wondering how likely i would be to score one, if i lined up at the ranger station at some ungodly pre-dawn hour ? The thing is that i am an east coaster and the thought of planning a trip of this magnitude, traveling across the country - via planes, trains and automobiles - and having the entire adventure hinge upon a "walk-up permit" leaves me feeling a bit insecure too put it lightly. 😳

-Anyone else out there with personal experience and/or insight who'd like to chime in ? 🤔
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 02-14-2019 at 03:35.

++ New Posts ++