Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
That's a good story, Mugthumper. Is there a way for a backpacker to go slow and carefully see everything underfoot? Sometimes. In a perfect world, yes. In reality I often lose focus and want to make time for various reasons, esp in bad weather. Pit vipers always break me out of that routine. Now I'm so wired that my head's a swivel on a stick and nothing goes unnoticed . . . until I inadvertently squat over a rattlehead on my next turtlehead break and get buttock fanged.
I think it would be possible if you walk slowly and carefully enough in perfect conditions. But where is the fun in that? Some of my favorite memories I have spent on trail are situations when I've walked in less than ideal conditions. However, if there was one thing that I think I could do that would decrease my chances of running into rattlesnakes, it would be to stop walking before sunset during the hot summer months. Unfortunately, I often enjoy walking an hour or two past sunset so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open.