After training our hardest trails Saturday for 15 miles and Sunday in the rain for 10, I was noticing some tight posterior tib tendon on my left foot and long toe hitting toe box on the right despite my usual lace locking. My LPs probably have between 200 and 300 miles on them, but 100 or so of that is just walking the dog. Stopped into REI and consulted my "shoe guy," while wearing them in last night. He pushed on the midsoles and they went up a considerable amount into my higher than average arches (as documented in my foot scan at Fleet Feet, my left is higher than my right by a good bit, but both are higher than the average population). He suggested the women's Trailblazer insole.

I've never worn an insert. Well, that's a lie. I tried green Superfeet when I first starting running 10 years ago and it felt like running on an ironing board and I hated them. I have run in minimalist and zero or nero drop shoes since 2010 without insoles except factory. Obviously I'm a little apprehensive about going to a 5- or 6mm drop insole, but I also realize that when I'm running 5 or 10 miles that's a whole 'nother story than backpacking 15 a day with 20+ pounds on my back for X days straight.

Anybody out there who runs in Altras or similar zero drop but still uses a similar kind of insole in their hiking shoes for backpacking? I know I can return them if they don't work (thank you, REI) but wondering if this may be way too much insole for somebody who's never used them before. I read online about wearing them a few hours a day and building up and I have the rest of this week and all of next to do that if I decide to take them to Georgia.

TIA!