The real answer- this is a social question and it depends on the interactions and comfort level of both you and others on the trail. Without assigning blame (I.e. others should/shouldn’t care, you should/shouldn’t feel threatened, a weirdo might/might not harass you, etc)... if you were 100% comfortable you probably wouldn’t have posted here. It’s OK to feel uncomfortable and it’s OK if you want to carry pepper spray where it’s not illegal. But remember that the AT is a social trail and you’ll end up making some friends and having your own trail family out there. Once you’ve found your way into a social group, I’m willing to bet that nobody will care about anyone’s personal choice of undergarments. Out on the trail, I’ve seen braless women as well as guys lounging in nothing but ill-fitting underwear that revealed way too much. Amongst my pack/trail family, nobody cared. But if that dude was in the midst of a Girl Scout troop, or a braless woman shared a shelter with a bunch of cub scouts, either clothing choices would likely result in some uncomfortable interactions regardless of whether or not the clothing choices “should” be considered OK.

My honest 2 cents: prepare for the worst. Carry what you need to carry to feel comfortable. Some people carry a large knife, or a gun, or 4 extra pairs of underwear, or an extra liter of water, or an extra days supply of food. You’re talking about a bra. So start out with an extra one to keep dry/fresh for camp. As you hike, you can make a personal assessment and weigh the physical and emotional cost vs benefit of carrying an extra piece of gear. And realize that your needs will likely change while you’re out there. It’s all part of the experience.

Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk