Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
For most part jmt is easy walking, compared to AT.
My experience is pretty much limited to GSMNP, but I would agree... the JMT has lots of switch backs that for the most part keeps the trail from getting as steep as I'm used to experiencing.
I passed a lot that stopped at 2-4 pm. When it doesnt get dark until almost 9 pm in summer.
That's on of the complaints I've been hearing over the years in the Yahoo and Facebook JMT groups. Many people are stopping for the day around 3pm at the popular campsites.
but most peoples mileage limitation is self inflicted somehow. There were downhills after passes that were easy 8-10 mile downhill walks...but someone cant do 10 mpd? Hiking.....is about....hiking. you walk. Thats what you do. Thats all you do. Walk. This point always escapes a few people that find their way onto trails.
I had several 23-25 mile days without trying, and i didnt get up till sun was bright, and never hiked till dark. 730 am-630 pm
And that's where we get back into different abilities by different individuals. I pretty much woke with the sun, rested an hour for lunch, and hiked until 5-6pm just about every day. But there was only 1 day that I managed to get anywhere close to 20mpd... and that was the day after I stopped early at 2pm after climbing the Golden Staircase.

By the time he was naming the 3 rd university committee....it registered...ahhh ..youre an a$$hole...
LOL