I've been going cross-eyed trying to figure out how to make my SOBO on September 3rd work. I have a wedding in Philadelphia the night before, so it would be at least 8 hours (!) driving to get the the northern trailhead. I've love to start my hike strong and get to Laura Woodward shelter but I don't think that's realistic. That's problem number one. Problem two is the spacing between the shelters in the roughest part of the trail, so I can't at all predict where I'll end up each night. Problem three is the lack of cell phone reception up there, so possibly no way to tell my husband where I'll be for him to meet me with resupplies. I'm picturing myself standing on top of Mt. Mansfield, looking for cell reception, frantically trying to send him screenshots from Guthooks and telling him "I'll be coming down one of these six sidetrails! Just drive around between them for a few hours until I show up!"

So now I think NOBO might make more sense. Only a 5-hour drive to the trailhead, easier and more familiar trails when I'm getting acclimated, I can better arrange my resupplies, and hopefully I can gradually shed some pack weight. I have a hammock and 4-season tarp, so crowds and temps shouldn't be a problem. Plus I like the idea of stopping at "Journey's End."

TL;DR - I needed to talk through this, but I think NOBO will work!