I decided a while ago I wanted to do a NOBO of the AT starting in February 2018. I have been planning for that ever since I made the decision. Now I'm looking at my situation, and it is the perfect time to attempt a thru-hike.
My husband and I quit our jobs last year and have spent the last four months (January- May) traveling the United States. We are in our hometown now, treating our homesickness and preparing for the next leg of our trip. We have finances for another four or so months on the road.
I had these grand plans of a NOBO hike, but now that I'm re-evaluating my current situation, I feel this could be the time, and if I pass this up for the hike I have been dreaming of, I could end up never actually going through with this. I don't even know why I chose NOBO over SOBO, it just seemed like what most people do.
I could start a SOBO hike in August, maybe even earlier. I have the freedom, some finances, a husband with no desire to do the AT, but excited about being my Trail Angel. I can do this, with the greatest support. What is my excuse?! I guess there isn't one; I'm on my way to Maine!