Hi all, I am planning a 2018 SOBO and I've been contemplating some easy food ideas. The one I wanted to ask about today / share is my own favorite healthy / easy oat mix. I am trying to avoid eating junk as much as possible for my thru hike attempt.

My idea is to have 1 large zip lock filled with the oat mixture and to then pour into a 32oz wide mouth nalgene and mix with plenty of water (adding more as needed). I would then let it sit
while I picked up camp and got ready. I only want to use my stove for dinner.

This would all be premixed and then put in a ziplock and mailed in drop boxes along with my lunch creation (more on that in another post). My mother would be my wonderful trail helper mailing me these as needed.

My question is does anyone have experience with cold oatmeal and just giving it maybe a half an hour or so to thicken? I don't see a need to use a stove in the morning.

THE MIX
-Quick oats
-Salt
-Cinnamon
-Chia seeds
-Honey (added from backpack)
-Whey protein
-Powdered milk
-Instant coffee (maybe)

*This would all be made in LARGE batches and portioned into weekly sized ziplocks that would then be mailed out. I hate instant oatmeal packets because they are just sugary junk so I want to create my own.

I plan on having this for breakfast everyday. I have eaten oatmeal for the past two year almost every single morning so I am not worried about getting bored of it. Food to me has a purpose. With the above mixture I am getting plenty of protein, carbs, omega's, fiber, and caffeine. All from a very light source that can be quickly prepared. I am just wondering if the cold oatmeal works... Since it's going to be a 2018 I don't want to go out purchasing items until I get some feedback from experienced thru-hikers.