I have several questions this time, oriented around distance.

I live in the north west section of North Carolina, north of Mars Hill. It's close to the Tennessee state line, and within a few miles of the AT.

Latitude:
Longitude: -82.5

I'll be starting the AT from this area and be going north on the trail, I'm not sure how far I'm going for sure. My original goal was to walk across a state, but I've been looking at a map and the trail runs along state lines in this area, so I'm thinking now I'll just set a destination goal. I want to go at least to near charlottesville VA, if I do good I might go as far as where the trail runs close to Washington D.C.

So that's the section of the trail I'll be traveling, since the trail is different everywhere, if anyone knows more about this section of the trail that would be great, otherwise just average general distances will do. All of these will be things I research myself like anyone, and I'll get maps, right now I'm needing basic estimates, so I can get ideas on the gear I'm bringing.

Questions...

Most important, how far apart is the water? I'm reading it's abundant, but how abundant? How far apart in miles on average? I know this depends some on the weather but will I ever go 10 miles without seeing water? From experiance has everyone here seen water on a daily basis on this trail?

How far apart are water spigots, I've read not to rely on them. From experience how frequently do you run across these?

How far apart are shelters or camping sights? I have a tent and if it's within the guidelines I would love to be able to pitch my tent elsewhere if I don't want company, if I see an area in between that looks reasonable.

How far apart are the people in late spring and summer? (I know this will vary as well) but should I expect to see someone everyday? Every other day? I'm hoping to see other hikers, but also hope it's not too populated.

How far apart are towns or resuply stations? I read there's a town every 3 to 5 days, but at what pace? Extra question.... Are their usually stores that cater to hikers near the trail in towns. Are some of them directly on the trail?

How far apart are the post office boxes if I want to ship someting ahead of me, if they're only in towns, how far off the trail will I have to go to get to one?

__________________________________________________ ________

That's all for now, I may think of more later. I'd love to hear info from those who know this section of the trail well, but also from others if they know estimates. I'll get a AT book that was recomended and start looking at maps but id love to some information sooner.