WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisper Down Jacket?

I am planing an AT nobo thru hike starting this March. I'm thinking about getting the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisper Hooded Down Jacket for the trail. Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on this jacket? It's 850 fill and 7.5 oz which is good because weight is always a concern. I tend to get cold relatively easily so I want something nice and warm. I will be layering up and will have a shell for wet weather conditions. Alternate suggestions welcomed.

I don't have experience with this particular jacket, but one thing to consider is whether you really want a down jacket with a hood. For the weight, a separate hood or hat is more versatile, as you can wear it when you don't need the jacket. I really like the Mont Bell Ex Light jacket combined with a Blackrock down beanie.

The Ghost Whisperer is a great jacket, but it also comes with a big price tag. Montbell has some offerings that weigh about an ounce more and are less expensive by $75-$100. You can sometimes find them in past season colors on clearance for about $100. If price is no concern, either jacket will be great for you.

Ryan

Jeffmeh thats actually a good point considering I will be using it under a shell at times. They make one without a hood as well, Ill probably go for that. As far as price goes, I am able to get a considerable discount on mountain haredwear thanks to my job.

Any suggestions on waterproof shells?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett1 View Post
    Jeffmeh thats actually a good point considering I will be using it under a shell at times. They make one without a hood as well, Ill probably go for that. As far as price goes, I am able to get a considerable discount on mountain haredwear thanks to my job.

I'd get a jacket with a hood, you will never be wearing a down jacket while hiking...too hot, you will be wearing it in camp and it would be nice to keep wind off the neck. I use a $19.95 Academy rain jacket, not because it's cheap but because I like it. It's served me well in severe winter weather and I've never gotten wet with it.

I love this jacket
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett1 View Post

GoLite makes a good rain shell at a good price point. 12oz

http://www.golite.com/Mens-Tumalo-Ra...et-P46941.aspx

I have the one without the hood. Expensive. Very nice. Would not wear it to hike in, but would wear in camp and to sleep in as needed.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Unless you're an UL fanatic, enjoy throwing money at your fanaticism, have to make the latest trail fashion statement, or for some reason want the highest level of down there is(almost) other down jackets on the market half the price of the MH Ghost Whisperer will do the job just fine of keeping you warm. I'll save the detailed analysis and shopping for you though. It is the Christmas season.

QiWiz said it. The MH Ghost Whisperer comes in hooded and unhooded versions. I too concur with Jeffmeh. Like a separate hat but unlike Drybones I do hike in my down vest(s) and occasionally in a lighter wt down jacket. I don't look at apparel insulation when hiking or in camp as a primary apparel piece affair. A multiple layers approach is what I use. Lots of versatility that way.

I do not understand the point of thin down jackets. A thick one will weigh and cost little more and provide serious warmth. For a thin garment, a thick fleece (the furry kind, like the MHW Monkey Man Jacket) is nearly as light, cheaper, and more versatile. All I see is a fashion item. Of course, I am a old grump.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Unless you're an UL fanatic, enjoy throwing money at your fanaticism, have to make the latest trail fashion statement, or for some reason want the highest level of down there is(almost) other down jackets on the market half the price of the MH Ghost Whisperer will do the job just fine of keeping you warm. I'll save the detailed analysis and shopping for you though. It is the Christmas season.

QiWiz said it. The MH Ghost Whisperer comes in hooded and unhooded versions. I too concur with Jeffmeh. Like a separate hat but unlike Drybones I do hike in my down vest(s) and occasionally in a lighter wt down jacket. I don't look at apparel insulation when hiking or in camp as a primary apparel piece affair. A multiple layers approach is what I use. Lots of versatility that way.
    Fashion has nothing to do with my choice and yes, I do like having high quality gear when I can. And I'm not throwing my money at anything, like I said earlier I get 30% off wholesale on all MH which is less than half the retail price. I have done my shopping and chose that jacket which is why I brought my choice here to see what other people thought of it. I agree wth you and Jeffmeh about the hood issue and appreciate your input.

I love mine. Mine was also not a fashion choice, and I'm not an UL fanatic, but I got it for about half off at a good 6pm (zappos outlet) sale (not a current sale, unfortunately). It's my go-to for everyday wear for anything from 45 degrees down to the teens. The benefit of light/thin down is the greater temperature range. It's not as warm as a thicker jacket, but it's good in the higher/mid-range temps we often see in shoulder seasons and allows me to carry fewer layers as a result. I have a thicker, super warm down coat from MH that doesn't weigh that much more, but I can't wear it in as wide a temperature range, so I take the lighter Ghost Whisperer instead.

I did get the one with a hood since it keeps in some warmth while allowing some ventilation, too. I have a light fleece hat I add for when it's windy. Paired with the hood, it's really warm. Without the hood as a windbreak, it's not as warm. I like the flexibility of having both, especially for sleeping, but lots of people just go with a hat instead.

If you're relying on it for your primary insulation layer, be sure to test it out ahead of time for your own comfort because it's not as warm as a thicker down coat and may not be as warm as you think it's going to be. I do a long sleeved but really light weight wool layer underneath and a rain jacket on top and do ok down into the 20s around camp, but if it's really cold and wet and you need to wear the insulation layer while hiking, you might want a fleece instead. As I said, I love mine, but if I were doing true winter camping, I'd consider adding a really light fleece or replacing the jacket with a heavier fleece.

Garrett, I thought, perhaps I had missed this in your opening or second post: "I do like having high quality gear when I can. And I'm not throwing my money at anything, like I said earlier I get 30% off wholesale on all MH which is less than half the retail price." However, you made no mention of getting 30% of wholesale until after I made my post. Going from a possibly $320 hooded MH Ghost Whisper to something less than 1/2 that price is a game changer FOR SOME. It is to me.

I don't own a MH GW but some things you might consider to be important: 1)Be mindful of the cut/fit. As others have said in reviews, I'm rather lean and lanky, and I too agree it's cut/fit is a bit loose/runs a tiny bit on the large size in the lower torso area. 2) Watch the version. I THINK MH supposedly now has hydrophobic down(they call it Q-Shield) while previous version(s) supposedly did not. Not positive on the older versions. That MIGHT account for some of the pricing discrepancies! I thought when it first came out it was overpriced. I would not pay $300 for this jacket! 3) It's an UL piece. Know what that means pros/cons ie; That shell fabric is rather thin. Also, again taking into account you're dealing with a rather extreme UL down jacket; you're getting less than 3 oz of 850 down in an around 8 oz down jacket. IMHO. I wouldn't try to make it into a one stop one piece insulation piece. I would use it for UL hiking multi layering in cold cold conditions at a moderate pace and when at rest/camp. I would also want hydrophobic down w/ this denier unless routinely using in dry cold weather.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-J...host-Whisperer

IF you can snag a new MH Ghost Whisperer 850 down in the 8 oz range around $100(or in your case less!) that's a very good hard to beat price for that level of a down jacket. You're talking my sweet spot - 30% off wholesale. It's a shweet jacket. Check up on reviews. I would think it would be in the final running for it's balance of factors(especially since you mentioned wt being a priority) regardless of price. NOW, factor in price and it's looking even shweeter.

Whatever you decide on, I'd invest in a roll of Kenyon clear tape to put in your pack for repairing the holes created by embers floating up from fires, doesn't matter how careful you are you will get them if you're around a fire very often...my Marmot Zeus now has three repaired holes...patch the holes asap before you lose down.

I would recommend it. Both my wife and I have and neither of us have any complaints. Keeps us warm in camp when the temps drop below freezing.

++ New Posts ++