aka Kudzu
    Images

Default Suwannee Closing

The Suwanee River Water Mgmt District has closed the Bell Springs trail head and parking area as well as the entire blue trail between Bell Springs and Big Shoals. They are currently doing spring restoration and the trail and parking area will be closed until further notice.
    The FNST is still open, however, and is accessed on Morrell Drive, just before the entrance to the Bell Springs Tract. There will be orange flagging on the west side of the road which can be followed to meet the existing trail.
    There is machinery working at Bell Springs, so please avoid the area.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

For future reference, is Bell Springs on the south or north side of the river? Since you mention a trailhead parking area, I assume it is accessible by road. How would I get there from White Springs?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Thanks! I'm hoping to hike from US129 to White Springs this weekend. Bell Springs looks like where I planned to pass through in December.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    For future reference, is Bell Springs on the south or north side of the river? Since you mention a trailhead parking area, I assume it is accessible by road. How would I get there from White Springs?

Thanks in advance.
    It's on the south side, Gray. From White Springs you'd head south on 41 towards I10. Turn left at the railroad crossing onto Lassie Black. Turn left on Morrell and follow it around until it dead ends. I'm actually not sure where they have it ending now. Normally Morrell goes right into the trailhead parking area. There's another parking area just before it so they may be using that.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Thanks! I'm hoping to hike from US129 to White Springs this weekend. Bell Springs looks like where I planned to pass through in December.
    You should still be ok. The FNST is open, you just have a slight change right in this area. The primary impact is to the side trail that goes out to Big Shoals. There's a nice camp right at Big Shoals. If you're staying on the FNST you shouldn't be too impacted.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Images

Thank you. I love our FL springs.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    The FNST is still open, however, and is accessed on Morrell Drive, just before the entrance to the Bell Springs Tract. There will be orange flagging on the west side of the road which can be followed to meet the existing trail.
    There is machinery working at Bell Springs, so please avoid the area.
    This is my next section for my section-day-hike of the FNST. Is it OK to park along Morrel Dr to hike the FNST? Is there another access point not too far away that would be better? I don't mind parking roadside on wide shouders as long as no one minds me doing so.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I haven't seen what's closed off first-hand. I've passed your question along and I'll let you know what I hear back. There's another small parking area just before the trailhead lot which I would presume would be open. I'm not sure where exactly they've made the temporary re-route, though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

aka Kudzu
    Images

Good news! Here's what I was told...

Yes you can park along Morrell Drive just before the entrance to Bell Springs. The temp trail is flagged starting from the road until it meets the existing trail.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Thank you!

++ New Posts ++