WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Planning a Section Hike in GA for spring.....NEED ADVICE

Hello: Planning a hike for the entire state of Georgia in the mid spring. I'm fit, crossfit everyday, and my buddies who are traveling with me are relatively fit as well. Trying to do the entire ~83 miles in 5 nights and was wondering if that's doable? I've hiked the AT in NY before.....years ago, and day hike regularly.....10+ mile hikes. We live in the upstate of SC and will "train" before as well. Here's the itinerary I was thinking. Day 1 Amicalola State Park to Hawk Mountain Shelter Day 2 Hawk Mountain Shelter to Gooch or Woody Gap with the plan of staying at the Wolfpen Gap hostel that night. Day 3 Woody Gap (Gooch) to Neels Gap staying at Goose Creek Cabins Day 4 Neels Gap to Blue Mountain Shelter Day 5 Blue Mountain Shelter to (and this is the one that concerns me) to Dicks Creek Gap then Hitch to Hiawasse....stay somewhere there for the night. Day 6 Dicks Creek Gap to Bly Gap then get picked up at Blue Ridge Gap by family to go home. Blue Mountain Shelter to Dicks Creek is 18.3 miles and I know nothing about the terrain or how easy it is to hitch to Hiawasse. Any advice would help. Thanks

I just finished sectioning from Amicalola to Winding Stair Gap/US 64 this past couple weeks. I can address your concern about Blue Mtn to DCG, I tried to make DCG from Blue Mtn shelter but ran out of daylight and ran into some rain that slowed my pace, with that combination I chose to overnight at Deep Gap shelter. I could have night hiked but getting a hitch to Hiawassee would have been more difficult once I reached DCG. Deep Gap is a very nice shelter. Take into consideration I hiked solo, a group hike can sometimes be slower (imo). Hitching to Hiawassee the next morning was easy. Hope this helps.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Sorry, forgot about the terrain considerations. Descent into Unicoi Gap, Rocky Mtn. Tray Mtn. Kelly Knob and your descent into DCG from Powell Mtn. are the crux of the 18.3 mile trek. Check AWOLs', "AT Guidebook 2013" for an elevation profile.

Was the terrain pretty strenuous or did you get a late start? If I plan on going in Mid may or so it will stay light till approximately 7pm or so......just wondering. If we started early and hiked for 10-12 hours, do you think we could make it? Great info btw.

That's a little ambitious, but not totally unreasonable. Start your trip on the approch trail at the lodge at the top of the falls to save yourself a lot of effort. Or skip the approch all togther and go farther the first day. Otherwise you may not make it all the way to Hawk Mt the first day. The trail gets really "bumpy" as you approch NC. Try to do your bigger milage days in the middle section where there isn't as much up and down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

1. In mid may sunset will be about 8:30.
    2. You have back to back 19 mile days. Some people would not find that enjoyable. Easy day for others.
    3. Generally an easy hitch into Hiawassee, but my experience is limited to daytime. You'll be getting there late in the day, so I can't comment.
    4. You may not be able to get picked up at Blue Ridge Gap so don't wait there. Bad road. Hike down the forest service road a mile or so until the road improves.

Looks like some long days and late arrival to shelters. Remember that mid-spring is the heart of the thru hiker season so the shelters will most likely be very full. If arriving late to a shelter be sure to have a tent.

I found Kelly Knob to be strenuous, factor in, it was getting late in the afternoon, the weather changing rapidly, and quite honestly I was tired. I agree with Slo-go'en about the approach trail, skipping it all together would give you additional time to fulfill your goal. Although, I like the aggressiveness of your plan.

Good advice about the tent. If you don't get to a shelter by noon your probably not going to get in. A lot of people only hike shelter to shelter in the beginning so they tend to get there early. It gets even worse if it's raining. Often much of the crowd which was at a shelter the night before don't move if it's raining the next morning.

You'll be in the thick of it, so be prepared for some crowds, especially since your bringing buddies with you to add to the mayham. In fact, you'd all best plan on tenting every night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You can do this hike easy if the weather is ok and the least among you can keep up. If it were me leading this group, I would insist that nobody's backpack weighs more than 25lbs. counting food and 40oz water. If you have one guy with a cast iron frying pan you won't have a chance. You need an emergency bail out plan if you get behind. So program in a few numbers of shuttle guys in the area into your cell phone and be sure to have a map. Another number I have plugged into my phone is for the ATC. You can call them up during normal business hours from some mountain in Ga and get lot's of good help, they will look stuff up for you give you phone numbers.

That's an average of 16.6 miles/day, that's what my average was for the first 415 miles last year, just finished the 387 miles from Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry and averaged 17.6 so I don't see any problem with you doing it. If you need to complete the hike by a certain time I would consider myself behind schedule until I was a half day ahead of schedule.....s*** happens. You don't need to hike fast, just put in the hours, take breaks every 2-3 hours and don't wear yourself down at the start...take care of your feet, don't let blisters develop. It's easier to hike up mountains with a heavy pack and a full stomach than with a light pack and empty stomach, carry enough food and eat well.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did almost that same itinerary as a 47-year old in early April 2004 with ease, although I was in pretty good shape as a soccer player with a lot of backpacking experience and carrying a 28-pound pack. Our weather was very nice, although it was quite cold and windy the first day out. We started from Blue Mountain Shelter at 7 am and I arrived at Dicks Creek Gap before 4. I did another 18 miles the following day to the base of Standing Indian and then down Kimsey Creek Trail to the Standing Indian Campground.

Day 1: Amicalola to Hickory Flatts Cemetary
    Day 2: to summit of Ramrock Mountain (dry camp)
    Day 3: to Neels Gap
    Day 4: to Blue Mountain Shelter
    Day 5: to Dicks Creek Gap (ride into Hiawassee for the night)
    Day 6: to Standing Indian Campground
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thank you so much for the advice. The Hostels near Woody Gap and Neels Gap, are they difficult to get into as well during May? Really would prefer sleeping and showering a few nights along this trip. I'm a chiropractor and don't want to be crippled from sleeping on the ground for 5 nights......these 43 year old shoulders are not what they used to be after 17 years of practice......Just worried that getting to these Hostels late afternoon, may be difficult finding a bed. Unless they take reservations. Ideas and advice are welcome. Unless April is a better month? I'm flexible on my time, just do not want to hike in the middle of the summer.

Call the one at Woody Gap from the trail earlier in the day. Neel's gap always seem to be able to make space and if they end up totally full they have other options like cabins...,

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    You can do this hike easy if the weather is ok and the least among you can keep up. If it were me leading this group, I would insist that nobody's backpack weighs more than 25lbs. counting food and 40oz water. If you have one guy with a cast iron frying pan you won't have a chance. You need an emergency bail out plan if you get behind. So program in a few numbers of shuttle guys in the area into your cell phone and be sure to have a map. Another number I have plugged into my phone is for the ATC. You can call them up during normal business hours from some mountain in Ga and get lot's of good help, they will look stuff up for you give you phone numbers.
    How do you find the phone number for shuttle guys and the ATC? As you can see I'm a little new to this stuff. I have seen the Hiker Hostel and their rates but are their other options? BTW.....great advice from everyone.....I can see already how helpful the AT community is.

Found the shuttle contacts on the ATC website......awesome!!!!!!

Remember when traveling in a group you can only go as far each day as your slowest/most-hobbled buddie can go. I forgot to take this into account on my first backpacking trip and wasn't able to make anywhere near the 15 miles per day I planned for.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Remember when traveling in a group you can only go as far each day as your slowest/most-hobbled buddie can go. I forgot to take this into account on my first backpacking trip and wasn't able to make anywhere near the 15 miles per day I planned for.
    Its funny that you say that because one of the gentleman who is planning on going, just strained his back and can't walk......can't imagine if that happened on the trail? Definitely taking that into consideration for the 15+ miles per day we have planned. Where we live there are pretty strenuous day hikes.......so we are going to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by cbocchino911 View Post
    Where we live there are pretty strenuous day hikes.......so we are going to practice.
    Wouldn't be a terrible idea if you carried your packs on your practice hikes. A 20 bag of kitty litter and a couple quarts of water and snacks is a quick and easy substitute for packing all your gear.

Journal Entries

Certainly possible

Carry a light pack , 20-25 lbs
    Start 1 -2 hrs before daylight
    Hike till dark
    Repeat

Shelters are not optimally spaced for high mileage, and the bear can zone interferes as well.

The last part is slower going than the first.

Now, if I understand that you want to stay in hostels a few night, then NO , you probably wont make it in 5 days. Only one hostel is on the trail.

Invest in a good inflatable pad, and you will sleep well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-23-2013 at 03:27.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++