WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How well do you Yogi?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I can't believe how some are confusing this with begging.
    A good Yogi is like a skimpy bikini.

A thing of true beauty when properly presented-- but not something you really want to see your average hiker getting into.

That said, I think it is every thru's responsibility to target beers at a shelter like the mice target your food bag. In fact, not doing so would be turning your back on a a great tradition. Sometimes people just need a little help doing what is right!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    To Yogi is not a con, but sharing an experience of genuine camaraderie that benefits all parties. The providers of our breakfast that day went home with laughter, great memories and with warm hearts. It was a reciprocal exchange.
    Very well stated. I also view hitching in the same way. I got a ride and the driver became a small part of a bigger adventure. It was absolutely a reciprocal exchange. (I met some of the coolest people while hitching on the PCT and other trails I've hiked.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    [/B]

I don't want to start anything with you... I want to "pick your brain". Explain to me why you wouldn't partake in another "exchange" on the trail just b/c someone "planned" it. The thing that really kicks it up a notch is that you would walk by even though you were hungry. That is sooo interesting to me. Explain the logic behind this, if you don't mind.
    It is the same reason that guys don't marry women that are easy. (Wow, I probably opened Pandora's box.)

[/B]

I don't want to start anything with you... I want to "pick your brain". Explain to me why you wouldn't partake in another "exchange" on the trail just b/c someone "planned" it. The thing that really kicks it up a notch is that you would walk by even though you were hungry. That is sooo interesting to me. Explain the logic behind this, if you don't mind.
    Kinda like funerals are not for the deceased, but for the ones that are grieving....

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It is the same reason that guys don't marry women that are easy. (Wow, I probably opened Pandora's box.)
    Oh. My. Gosh!! Malto- I knew there was some reason why I was never a fan of trail feeds...here it is!! NOT!

I'm still waiting on PF's response though... this is going to be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Kinda like funerals are not for the deceased, but for the ones that are grieving....
    So it's not an "exchange" in your mind... it's all about the "giver" in this case. Ok, I hear ya..

Honestly I'm pretty stubborn about this in general, not just hiking. I would rather not take assistance, even when I probably need it. Part of it is certainly pride related, but it's also just not wanting to feel like I'm indebted to someone. I know it is not given with that in mind in most cases, but in my mind that doesn't change the facts... If someone helps me I am put in a situation where I want to reciprocate. It's easier on my mind to just go without. Cognitive dissonance and all that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That said, I think it is every thru's responsibility to target beers at a shelter like the mice target your food bag.
    I don't always yogi for beer at shelters, but when I do...
    Biggie

Images

I have news for all you yogiers out there, probably 99.9% of the folks that give you stuff: 1. know exactly what you are doing, and 2. would give it to you anyway if you would just politely ask.

This is especially true in the south. There is kind of an unwritten code in the south that says you don't ask others for help (its a pride thing), and if you think someone needs help, you give them what you can without making them ask. This is especially true with the older generation.

You may think you're developing a fine art, but actually your taking advantage of a social norm under somewhat false pretenses.

My point is if you want something just ask. Most folks will say yes anyway, at least the ones that would give in to your yogi would.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bfayer; 11-18-2013 at 23:12.

People who are yogiable are nice folks doing what comes naturally. All one has to do is find them. It is sometimes difficult to avoid them. My brief time outs in the woods are precious personal time and I avoid them where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    This is especially true in the south.
    There is also a Southern tradition of saying "Thank you very much, but I'm fine".

We don't need to eat three plates of food to prove to Grandma that we love her cooking.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Honestly I'm pretty stubborn about this in general, not just hiking. I would rather not take assistance, even when I probably need it. Part of it is certainly pride related, but it's also just not wanting to feel like I'm indebted to someone. I know it is not given with that in mind in most cases, but in my mind that doesn't change the facts... If someone helps me I am put in a situation where I want to reciprocate. It's easier on my mind to just go without. Cognitive dissonance and all that.
    That's very interesting MD!! I can understand how you're thinking... I can relate to pieces of what you shared, myself. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    People who are yogiable are nice folks doing what comes naturally. All one has to do is find them. It is sometimes difficult to avoid them. My brief time outs in the woods are precious personal time and I avoid them where possible.
    aficion ... that's cool too! It's helpful for "givers" to realize that it's not that you think they are idiots for wanting or willing to "share" with you, you just treasure your "alone time".

I like the poster that brought up the word "exchange". It's a great way to put this interaction into a word. Love it! It works!

bfayer, you post, as always, I find interesting too. Humm..... :>)

Oh. My. Gosh!! Malto- I knew there was some reason why I was never a fan of trail feeds...here it is!! NOT!

I'm still waiting on PF's response though... this is going to be good!
    Actually, Malto gives a pretty good analogy, I don't have anything better.

I've participated in the first few trail feeds I first saw, but I quickly became sick of the feverish anticipation of the other hikers. You hear about these "trail magic" events well before you get there and it's just sickening to me how the hikers are in a frenzy over these things to the point where they start to expect them and even are quite upset if it turns out that the trail feed is not at the expected location; I've seen some get really pissed over that.

I've heard of them listening to sermons to get their food. In that case it was actually my first trail feed I passed up, somewhere in NC.

There were people taking hikers to a house from a roadcrossing saying they had all kinds of food, including pancakes and tons of other stuff; I passed it up. I later heard that the hikers had to sit around and listen to a sermon before they got their food. At that point I became convinced I would never ever participate in trail feeds.

I've had other encounters where they come out into the woods (far beyond road crossings) to feed hikers...I've learned to hate them.

Actually, Malto gives a pretty good analogy, I don't have anything better.

I've participated in the first few trail feeds I first saw, but I quickly became sick of the feverish anticipation of the other hikers. You hear about these "trail magic" events well before you get there and it's just sickening to me how the hikers are in a frenzy over these things to the point where they start to expect them and even are quite upset if it turns out that the trail feed is not at the expected location; I've seen some get really pissed over that.

I've heard of them listening to sermons to get their food. In that case it was actually my first trail feed I passed up, somewhere in NC.

There were people taking hikers to a house from a roadcrossing saying they had all kinds of food, including pancakes and tons of other stuff; I passed it up. I later heard that the hikers had to sit around and listen to a sermon before they got their food. At that point I became convinced I would never ever participate in trail feeds.

I've had other encounters where they come out into the woods (far beyond road crossings) to feed hikers...I've learned to hate them.
    Ahhhh... I see-- no wonder you feel the way you do about the trail feeds. It makes sense. Btw.... I like your explanation a lot more than Malto's. JK, Malto... THanks for sharing, PF.

I've never participated in an organized "trail feed", myself. I'm interested in helping out sometime with one, only b/c I read about one in a log book, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. (in my backyard) Someone had gone up there close to July 4th, this year, to provide food for hikers passing through. The ones that were writing about it were so appreciative & it sounded like something I would like to be a part of sometime. I just thought to myself after reading that.. SWEET!

The place that "whoever" set up this thing up, did it in a perfect place b/c resupply options are few and far between. It was quite a distance from Daleville & resupply heading North from there is not great.

But, I have to admit, when I come back home and read comments on here about how people feel about this type of thing, I'm conflicted. Maybe I shouldn't bother.. just forget it. What do y'all think?

Most people have good hearts, but some have motives. It's true with both hikers and trail angels. It's really nice when good hearts get together, thats when the "exchange" happens….

Ahhhh... I see-- no wonder you feel the way you do about the trail feeds. It makes sense. Btw.... I like your explanation a lot more than Malto's. JK, Malto... THanks for sharing, PF.

I've never participated in an organized "trail feed", myself. I'm interested in helping out sometime with one, only b/c I read about one in a log book, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. (in my backyard) Someone had gone up there close to July 4th, this year, to provide food for hikers passing through. The ones that were writing about it were so appreciative & it sounded like something I would like to be a part of sometime. I just thought to myself after reading that.. SWEET!

The place that "whoever" set up this thing up, did it in a perfect place b/c resupply options are few and far between. It was quite a distance from Daleville & resupply heading North from there is not great.

But, I have to admit, when I come back home and read comments on here about how people feel about this type of thing, I'm conflicted. Maybe I shouldn't bother.. just forget it. What do y'all think?
    A poll might be interesting. I have no problems with uncoercive feeds. Great that I have the option to partake or pass on by. Many appreciate the food and generosity of the givers and it would be a shame to take the "exchange" of goodwill away. Polls are always fun and revealing.

I tended to avoid hiker feeds in towns and felt kind of guilty by not attending. But, if in town I wanted something better than hotdogs.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Most people have good hearts, but some have motives. It's true with both hikers and trail angels. It's really nice when good hearts get together, thats when the "exchange" happens….
    I'm hanging my hat on this post, right here. This is it!! This makes sense to me. I get it!

This is the truth... Thanks Capt Nat!

What would be great if both hiker and "angel" could be easily identified as 2 their motives & force an "exchange". That way everyone would "deserve" each other.. BOOM!

Was that a lil mean?

I truly like to believe that the majority,on both sides, have good motives. I'm going with that....

That's a whole different kettle of fish than yogging from random tourists or picnic'ers you happen to meet along the way. I stopped to chat with a couple of woman a little north of the summit of Graylock in Mass while doing that section. Before long I was being treated to a gormet lunch they had brought up. I didn't exactly yoggi the lunch, just happend to be at the right place at the right time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't get angry very often and I certainly regret my outburst of anger yesterday. It took an 8 mi run yesterday and a day of hiking today, but I have cooled off. Ya'll continue doing what you feel is right...but if you ever come across me on the trail, please just ask me for what you want.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++