Default New sponsorship program for 2014 PCT hikers to benefit the PCTA

Just wanted to let 2014 PCT hikers know about a program I've started up aimed at:
    • Helping aspiring thru-hikers through gear assistance and mentorship
    • Giving back to our trail stewards
    • Inspiring others through story

It's called mYAMAdventure, and this year, we're teaming up with other gear makers to sponsor five PCT thru-hikers. I'm providing shelters to the participants and I'm working to arrange as many other gear & food sponsorships as I can. I'm also gathering a group of accomplished long-distance hikers to mentor the participants through the planning process. In return, the hikers are expected to share their stories on social media and to fundraise to benefit the PCTA. Our goal for this year is to raise $10,000 for them!

There's more info and the application on our website at:
    http://www.yamamountaingear.com/mYAMAdventure

I'm very excited to be doing this and hope you will share that excitement!
    Hike Simply,
    Gen Shimizu / Magnet

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I love it! A charity hike to help the hiking org that maintains the trail the hikers will be on.

Awesome.

Good luck!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Great job Gen. keep us posted when get the link to the donation site up and running. Would love to help these folks reach there goals.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The overview states "5 novice hikers". What is your definition of 'novice'? How much experience is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The overview states "5 novice hikers". What is your definition of 'novice'? How much experience is too much?
    I've never hiked on the PCT so I'd be a novice PCT hiker Using that argument, you might qualify...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's a helluva first post Magnet. Lovin and diggin the YamaGear website and that you're part of the sponsorship program! Dancin banana for you today.

[/QUOTE]Every year, a group of hikers selected to participate in the program will embark on the journey of a lifetime,[/QUOTE]

But this is the first year your trying this? While I kinda see the point of what your trying to do, at the same time I don't really see the point.

So, in exchange for a tent and maybe some other donated gear and possible discounts, I need to rise 2 grand (or is it 1500, both numbers are used in different places?) and be active in two social media accounts? Another inconsitantcy is at the moment only a tent is being donated, but there is a requirement to use all donated gear.

[/QUOTE]
    Brand Visibility
    a)
    Recognition on hikers' blogs / online journals
    b)
    Social Media Exposure
    c)
    Name or Logo will appear with the program in a variety of locations, possibly:
    Tech Shirts for hikers
    Hikers' blogs / online journals
    YAMA Mountain Gear website page for mYAMAdventure
    mYAMAdventure social media accounts
    Hikers' social media accounts
    d) Visibility and prominence may vary depending on value of support provided [/QOUTE]

So, I'm doing this mostly to promote the donated gear?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So, I'm doing this mostly to promote the donated gear?
    It would seem that way.

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, it sounds like a buttload of work for some gear.

The most stressful part for me would be hitting up people I know for money because I was going hiking. I've never been ok with that and can't see myself parting with my cash because someone decides to go hiking. .. but that's a different subject.
    Last edited by 10-K; 11-13-2013 at 14:02.

...hope I don't come across as an ass. I get that the intention is good and hope you find the right 5 people.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and comments! I'll try to post an update as things come together a bit more.

My main motivation here is to help people get out there to hike (especially novices new to the PCT or long-distance hiking in general); I get really excited about this. That said, I'll have invested hundreds of hours of my time and will sink a significant amount of money into making this program a success, so I do hope to get some exposure for my business through it. I also need to make sure the program is attractive to other potential sponsors. Many hikers already share their journey with others online, so I don't expect the commitment of sharing their story on social media to be a burden for those people; in fact, I hope it will be fun and rewarding! I understand completely however, why some people would prefer to do this or to fundraise via their hike. I truly hope and intend for this to be a win-win-win situation for all involved: the hikers, the sponsors, the PCTA, and all who follow.

Cheers!
    Magnet

++ New Posts ++