WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting at Amicalola?

Hello all,

Looking for suggestions on how to start a week long, GA only section hike heading NOBO. Do hikers typically start in Amicalola Falls, on Springer Mtn itself, or somewhere else. I am looking to get dropped off, but need to plan the different distances into my timeline.

Thx, JGray

you can start at Amicalola Falls SP if you want, that's how I always go. They have safe parking there at the Park Visitor Center. If you get a ride, you could get dropped off at the Gap parking area on the Forest Service Rd about a mile north of Springer. If you have a whole week, I would start at the State Park, do the approach trail, see the waterfalls too. It's really up to you where you start.

I think it depends on if you want to hike the extra 8 miles of the Approach Trail. Other than that, other considerations would be (1) if you are leaving a car, AFSP is the safest trailhead in GA (although I leave a car at Springer for a week with no worries, (2) if you are being dropped off, AFSP is all paved roads, while Springer is a 13 mile roundtrip drive on an excellent forest service road, (3) if you paying for a shuttle I'd bet that AFSP would be a bit cheaper.

Since you asked, I'd say that most hikers "typically" start at Springer since the approach trail is blue blazed and is not "official" AT mileage. Shorter too.

I recently did a section starting at AFSP. My brother and I elected to start there because we were arriving late at night and there's a shelter (Max Epperson Shelter I think) right behind the visitor's center which is where you'll probably leave your car. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the lodge as a pre-hike fuel up.

With that said, the falls are about the only scenic item on the approach trail. After you reach the top of the falls, it's 7 more (mostly uphill) miles of woods with not much else to see.

It seems to me that most start at the parking lot just down the hill from the summit of Springer. That's why I always start at Amicalola State Park.

Journal Entries

Since you are getting dropped off it mostly depends on what you and your ride want to do. If your ride doesn't mind driving on the FS road then I would get dropped off near Springer. Depending on your speed of course, you should be able to complete all of the AT in Georgia in 7 days.
    RIAP

Journal Entries

Approach trail isnt hard, no reason to be afraid of it.
    Its a nice hike, takes 4-5 hrs.

No particular reason to do it
    But no reason not to either
    Do what you prefer

It makes the summit of Springer more rewarding to get to though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Approach trail isnt hard, no reason to be afraid of it.
    Its a nice hike, takes 4-5 hrs.

No particular reason to do it
    But no reason not to either
    Do what you prefer

It makes the summit of Springer more rewarding to get to though.
    +1............

++ New Posts ++