Default Looking for infor on the FT thru the Ocala NF

Hello, I'm exploring the possibility of hiking the FT thru the Ocala NF. I have lots of questions for anyone who has hiked this section. Is this hike dry, I don't want to be walking through water? Any information on this section would be helpful. I'm planning to hike in April and wonder about the weather. Thx.

April on the Ocala averages a high in the low 80's and night time lows in the high 50's.

It can also hit 90 or low in the 40's.

The rain doesn't really start until May, but a good shower could dump a half an inch, in April.

There's not any real standing water along the Ocala Section to wade through, at least not that time of year.

The bugs start being nasty by May, but might irritate you on a warm April.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

thanks, do you know where I can get a detailed hiking map?

Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    thanks, do you know where I can get a detailed hiking map?
    Google Florida Trail Association. Maps 19 & 20 cover the Ocala National Forest. The new Data Book can be helpful. I'm planning the same hike in early December. Because it is their gun hunting season I can only camp in designated established campgrounds. In April you can camp nearly anywhere. You might also check the Ocala National Forest website.

Check out Florida Hikes for a good description of the different sections of Ocala Trail.

http://www.floridahikes.com/florida-...ational-forest

The maps for those sections that Slosteppin mentioned from the Florida Trail Association are available for $6.00 each plus shipping at:

http://ftashop.floridatrail.org/thru-trail-maps/

The forest service also puts out an Ocala Forest Recreation map that is detailed enough to do the Florida Trail or others on the forest. Comes in paper or waterproof and they have a PDF of it online.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I hiked the FT thru Ocala NF last February. Have a Trail Journal on that hike at TJ.com .... for "Florida Mike". In February the Rainbow Gathering takes place at Hopkins Prairie, that was interesting to see. Water is a bit scarce thru Ocala NF, good idea to carry extra and bring a filter. Have a great hike.

Thanks, I did end up buying a map from the FT Association. Good luck with your hike in December. Any feedback from your hike would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I hiked the FT thru Ocala NF last February. Have a Trail Journal on that hike at TJ.com .... for "Florida Mike". In February the Rainbow Gathering takes place at Hopkins Prairie, that was interesting to see. Water is a bit scarce thru Ocala NF, good idea to carry extra and bring a filter. Have a great hike.
    Florida Mike, I definitely am interested in checking out your trail journal. I would love to stop by the Rainbow Gathering and think it would be a hoot. Unfortunately, my wife has time off over Easter vacation. Thank again for your suggestion.

++ New Posts ++