Ok, so I need the advice of hikers regarding water purification.
I am about thirteen hundred miles into the A.T., up around New York State, and hope to finish up next summer.
I am not getting any younger so this time it is imperative to go lightweight and get that (heavy) "monkey " off my back.
so all is well with the gear but what about the water purification? So far I have used a bottle of Iodine, worked well I guess as I didn't get sick and Lord knows, I drunk from some pretty ****ty water sources!But it was kinda' heavy!And glass! Though I stuffed it into a spare sock.
I checked out the Steripen but hey, MORE batteries, that kinds sucks....
Forget the tablets, taste too chalky!
Too much Iodine is bad for you,right?
Platypus, um, kinda a lot of stuff to carry and the wait is a little too much for a thirsty guy like me..
SO, how good is the Life Straw? Will it filter a few quarts easily or does it take a long time?
i tried to find out but to no avail so maybe someone out there can lead me in the right direction...
Any ideas as to the best, lightest and simplest,( not too many moving parts), method out there..
And money is tight so I have a budget of $100.00....
Any and all comments, serious or even humorous, are welcome though they need to be based on real experience...
Many Thanks
Hoofit.