WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Closing threads

Default Closing threads

I understand that these forums must be managed to keep some of us, especially ones like me, from going off on political, religious, or other topics that just dont fit the intent of the forum, but when someone makes a post about something relative to hiking that could potentially be a safety concern for other hikers, I believe it should be allowed to continue if at all possible...IMO.

Safety concerns, as in knocking over hoo doos that might fall on innocent children?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I understand that these forums must be managed to keep some of us, especially ones like me, from going off on political, religious, or other topics that just dont fit the intent of the forum, but when someone makes a post about something relative to hiking that could potentially be a safety concern for other hikers, I believe it should be allowed to continue if at all possible...IMO.
    If you are referring to the recently closed hostel thread, I agree. I guess I didn't see the harm in this thread. Past threads describing conditions in certain locations can become irrelevant in later times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Safety concerns, as in knocking over hoo doos that might fall on innocent children?
    I've seen first hand what a person hooked on drugs will do to support a habit, just about anything, and how they may act if they dont have drugs, do just about anything...like being bi-polar, they can be great one day and totally different the next.

I find first hand reviews to be very informative. I'm not sure how it is any different from Yelp or TripAdvisor where many opinions are voiced and then you make a decision. On the recent thread, the positive reviews seemed to far outweighed the negatives. It wasn't even close.

Journal Entries

This thread is likely to get shutdown for being argumentative. Drybones, it is hit or miss what topics are acceptable from day to day. I agree with you completely regarding this subject and the thread in question, however it is not you or I who deems a thread acceptable. The mods have a responsibility to express their subjectivity on such topics and close threads that may instigate quarrels, appear damaging to a business, or are contrary to the TOS. This is not a place to express democratic ideology openly. Tread carefully...

It is generally poor form to criticize moderation efforts (I have served as mod and admin for many forums over many years going back to dial in BBs)....

10 mods can look at a thread 10 ways. Ideally there is a discussion in the mod forum about these actions, but not always. Forums are run by people, and people are flawed.... This place is pretty darn well run. We are a difficult population, with a variety of weird ideas and most of us are (slightly more then a little bit) outside the mainstream.

Might I suggest that when one has an issue with a specific action they either use the "reported post" icon on the thread, or the PM system to speak with the person directly? My experience is that people react well to constructive discussion... And better then well when that discussion takes place somewhere other then the stage of a thread like this one.

Peace,
    Last edited by Sailing_Faith; 11-07-2013 at 10:17.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    It is generally poor form to criticize moderation efforts (I have served as mod and admin for many forums over many years going back to dial in BBs)....

10 mods can look at a thread 10 ways. Ideally there is a discussion in the mod forum about these actions, but not always. Forums are run by people, and people are flawed.... This place is pretty darn well run. We are a difficult population, with a variety of weird ideas and most of us are (slightly more then a little bit) outside the mainstream.

Might I suggest that when one has an issue with a specific action they either use the "reported post" icon on the thread, or the PM system to speak with the person directly? My experience is that people react well to constructive discussion... And better then well when that discussion takes place somewhere other then the stage of a thread like this one.

Peace,
    Vote with dollars instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Vote with dollars instead.
    Absolutely,

(as one donating member to another I guess we already have).
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Absolutely,

(as one donating member to another I guess we already have).
    Yes, indeed. We have, in the past.

I've seen first hand what a person hooked on drugs will do to support a habit, just about anything, and how they may act if they dont have drugs, do just about anything...like being bi-polar, they can be great one day and totally different the next.
    Or even worse someone who has kicked a drug habit unknowingly putting themseleves in a poor situation.

Unmodereted forums quickly become wastelands of hateful and irrelevent rants. In general I think the mods here are very restrained about closing threads, even if I sometimes disagree with their decisions.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Or even worse someone who has kicked a drug habit unknowingly putting themseleves in a poor situation.
    This is when you may have to white knuckle it if you can't call your sponsor and get out of there.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Whiteblaze was quite instrumental in the planning my 2013 thru-hike (along w/ AWOL's Guide). I stayed at numerous hostels based on some of the posts here. I don't recall any negative posts on the 'Unnamed Hostel in Question' other than it wasn't a good place to resupply (limited food to purchase; but, I found it to be better than I expected).

I stayed at the 'Unnamed Hostel in Question' on my thru. It was at the end of a long day for me (longest mileage day on the AT up to that point). If I knew then what I know now, I would have avoided it and planned my itinerary accordingly. I would have appreciated reading in advance of some of the downsides of the hostel. Negative reviews may harm this hostel (people like me who wish to avoid that kind of stuff) or help it (people who gravitate to that kind of stuff). So be it. I like being an informed consumer.

I find it interesting that the thread in discussion was closed but the thread about asking for donations to support a triple crown attempt has been left open, even though there has been little to no positive posts in the donation thread.
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

My opinion only- It seems that closed threads seldom have to do with the topic- but the behavior of those discussing the topic. There are a few cut and dry TOS violating topics- but the reactions, comments, personal fights, etc. seem to be the main issue. Be polite, don't speak directly about people or business doing illegal things, don't make it personal, use some common sense- less threads will get closed.

The place in question is a questionable place if you want to be honest. (Overzealous defense is an issue too.) That is pretty common knowledge among the regulars- but not for new folks- and that's how they learn- by posting and sharing.

Because I knew what the place was about, I was able to enjoy my stop. If I had just wandered in- I may have had more issues. Because I was forewarned- I took the place for what it was, enjoyed the characters that work and play there. Ate a microwaved breakfast sandwich and cold pop and left at 8pm in a pouring rain. The main reason- When I asked if they had any beer I was told, "We're out till Wednesday" as he took a pull from his Bud.

Not every thing on the trail is for everyone- but there is something for everyone on the trail.

Images

The question seems to be should the moderators allow first hand accounts identifying establishments along the trail where drug use or alcohol abuse is prevalent?

On one hand some hikers, especially those with children or recovered abusers, would find this information of great value so that they may avoid establishments with this reputation. This is a valid safety concern. On the other hand many hikers would hate to see the owners of these establishments harmed by public postings of this information that might bring unwanted attention by law enforcement. Some of these owners are good people who have contributed much to the AT experience. This concern is also very real and valid. I imagine there are also some who wish to partake themselves in the activities such establishments may offer and do not want the good times to come to an end.

The Moderators face the difficult quandary on how to best serve the valid and sometimes conflicting interests of our diverse Whiteblaze community. Perhaps topics such as these are better left to 'word of mouth' or the 'AT grapevine'. I think we need to recognize the difficult choices the moderators face and respect their decision. Polite disagreement with these choices (such as that voiced by the OP) is understandable and should be expressed, but in the end it is the Moderators call to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Unmodereted forums quickly become wastelands of hateful and irrelevent rants. In general I think the mods here are very restrained about closing threads, even if I sometimes disagree with their decisions.
    I really agree with this & like this comment. I will add this... I do feel "stifled" sometimes.

And this.... Smear campaigns should not be tolerated. I believe it is prudent to distinguish between what is and isn't. Here are some of my favorite quotes.

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

“Tell the truth, or someone will tell it for you."

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.”

this is not a democracy, it is the gator nation. he does a fine job, i won't second guess him even it is me he sometimes takes action against. but vague accusations of narcotic manufacturer does more than just border on defamation. there may be a couple lawyers in here, i don't know, but it seems to me that sort of thing would expose whiteblaze to civil litigation. the original, original, thread was closed and deleted. resurrected all that time later for what reason exactly? what purpose did it serve? and now here we are, in yet another thread thread, violating TOS by talking about two previously closed threads. moderations decisions are final, there is no appeals process. this issue has been settled. let it go.

1. Legitimate OP
    2. Some posters take issue, post crap
    3. Whole thread killed due to #2, not #1

It's a common pattern
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++