WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: foothills trail

Thanks Dogwood. I have the map, it's very helpful. I ended up hiking it as a loop; ending back at sloan's, but instead of taking the FT on the lower portion, I went on the east fork trail to the hatchery then got a ride up the mountain to the FT access. You are right the trail is very scenic and engaging to hike- a lot of areas required my fullest attention, especially since it was wet from raining. It was my first time on the trail. There were probably 15 or 20 blowdowns on the FMT. The east fork had some impressive steep views looking down to a river. Already planning another section. I really appreciate what all the people do to help maintain it.

I have read a lot about this trail and hope to check it out sometime next year Thanks for the info.

I hiked about 37 miles of it, starting in Oconee State Park and going east last week, until I got off trail at Bad Creek. It was difficult because of the 6" deep loose and very slick autumn leaves covering up the roots and rocks. Fell 3 times and nearly twisted ankles numerous times. Not many blow downs.
    It is a fantastic trail for its isolation, varied terrain, and views. I only saw a few day hikers the day I started and on the last day saw a group from Michigan who exited the trail at Bad Creek also, they started at Sassafras mountain and were hiking west. They mentioned the difficulty with the leaf coverage also.
    It was 22 degrees one night but was perfect temps during the day for hiking, in the 40's and low 50's. No rain.
    In the Spring I'll start at Table Rock and complete the section to Bad Creek.
    Highly recommended trail.

Thanks for the info. Solitude is also the reason I LOVE the Benton MacKaye trail. Completed 65 miles of the trail last spring. I only saw "1" individual "a trail volunteer, the entire 5 days!

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonecampn View Post
    Thanks for the info. Solitude is also the reason I LOVE the Benton MacKaye trail. Completed 65 miles of the trail last spring. I only saw "1" individual "a trail volunteer, the entire 5 days!

Shhhhhhhhhh!

;-)

I hiked from upper whitewater falls to Oconee in about 15 hrs/2 days. Such variety!- the terrain and scenes change hourly. Considering the shorter daylight hours this time of year, how many days would you recommend I allow to hike the 47 mi eastern section from upper whitewater falls?

Quote Originally Posted by ippon View Post
    I hiked from upper whitewater falls to Oconee in about 15 hrs/2 days. Such variety!- the terrain and scenes change hourly. Considering the shorter daylight hours this time of year, how many days would you recommend I allow to hike the 47 mi eastern section from upper whitewater falls?
    Look at the FT elevation profile and you can get a good feel for that yourself. http://www.foothillstrail.org/upload...evationMap.pdf

Notice how the elev. profile flattens out and is mostly overall downhill from Upper Whitewater Falls Overlook to Oconee SP? You probably did the easiest 30 miles of the entire 76 or so miles of the FT from Table Rock SP to Oconee SP elev. wise. You did those 30 miles at about a 2 mph avg hiking pace. You said you hiked 15 hrs over two days. I would think, if you do the rest of those 47 miles of the FT going from Upper Whitewater Falls to Table Rock SP your avg mph is going to be a tiny bit less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++