WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: foothills trail

Default foothills trail

I just spent four days hiking the Foothills Trail, and although I'm sure it's been posted here before, I just want to remind everyone in the area that there is a fantastic trail right out your back door. The leaves are beautiful, the waterfalls and streams are flowing strong, and the hiking is challenging, but not overly difficult. And talk about having the trail to yourself - I was still breaking spider webs when I stopped to camp in the evenings. I went from Table Rock to Oconee, and only passed four pairs of hikers going the other way until my last day. Lots of great camping spots, no nasty shelters to deal with, plenty of access points to break it up into smaller sections, and the weather is great right now. If you live nearby, throw your pack together and get out there for a couple of days.
    -tagg

I hope that you went down the Laurel Valley/Estatoe Gorge trail. If you didn't, go back!

Another often overlooked upstate trail is the 16 mile or so loop that Kings Mt. State Park and National Park share. It is a great winter and shoulder season trail.

The Foothills Trail is wonderful. That's why I hype it up, IMHO justifiably, and SUPPORT IT FINANCIALLY. Trails don't maintain themselves. With all the steps, bridges, ladders, blow downs in the heavily wooded gorges of Rhododendrons, trail blazing, signage, regular pruning of fast growing shrubbery, etc it takes money, labor and materials to keep the trail looking as good as it does.

I did this hike last December, probably my favorite all time hike, including out west, great/diverse scenery, well maintained, no crowds...time to do it again.

Understanding that weather varies from year to year, what are the Foothills like in the Dec/Jan time frame? Still enough water around? Any special gear needed (like micro spikes)?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Understanding that weather varies from year to year, what are the Foothills like in the Dec/Jan time frame? Still enough water around? Any special gear needed (like micro spikes)?
    The Foothills trail has water in abundance year round.

I can't imagine you'd ever need micro spikes or traction devices on this trail.... It's a low altitude hike, well maintained, not a lot of AT type rock hopping/scrambling and pretty far south.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Understanding that weather varies from year to year, what are the Foothills like in the Dec/Jan time frame?...
    I've thru hiked it twice, once in late Nov/early Dec and once in late Jan/early Feb. This area of SC gets windows of decent hiking weather virtually yr round. That Jan/Feb hike I experienced 4" of snow that melted off by the end of the next day. Night time temps ranged from night time lows in the mid 20's to low 40's. The Nov/Dec hike was like a late fall season hike after the leaves have dropped(uhh maybe because that was the fall season).

The only time I would think microspikes would be called for would be if hiking in freezing temps after a rainfall or ice storm. All that can be avoided if hiking during a window of good winter weather. In this case if hiking with ice underfoot be mindful when walking on bridges, climbing steps and ladders(yes the FT has these), stepping on rocks and tree roots(as 10-K says not a lot of this though), etc.

Water is NO PROBLEMA on the FT. Agree 100% with 10-K again. The FT is known for its waterfalls and a few very scenic river/creek crossings.

Still enough water around? Any special gear needed (like micro spikes)?

You should check out the FT website. http://www.foothillstrail.org/

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Yep. Great trail. Done it 4.5 times in all 4 seasons. Wouldn't recommend summer hiking though.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

In some aspects I think the Foothills trail is similar to the BMT. Both less crowded more primitive lower elevation trail/route alternatives suitable for when a higher elev hike in the same general geographical vicinity could/would be more problematic under hard winter conditions. BMT's tread is faint at times though; in winter with snow or heavy leaf cover a compass/GPS/map might be in greater need. During both those FT thrus at that time of the yr I never met another FT thru-hiker and even during early fall and late spring when I've additionally been on sections of the FT it's not a crowded trail. Table Rock SP experiences a good number of visitors though so around the eastern FT TH(TR SP) on trails that's where I've run into the most number of people. The FT makes for a GREAT shake down hike in prep for say a AT, BMT, Pinhoti, LT thru-hike. And again the hiking window, weather wise, for the FT is really wide open. So is the Pinhoti especially the Alabama PT section. No need to go south to the other FT(Florida Trail) for a winter hike if you have the winter hiking itch and need it scratched. The Foothills Trail is short too, 76 miles, AND can be extended 100's of miles(I've extended one of my FT thrus east by more than 45 miles) or section hiked logistically easy.

A fun hike would be to start at Table Rock, hike to the Bartram Trail connector (which would put you a few miles short of a FT thru hike) and then thru hike the Bartram Trail to Cheoah Bald then get on the AT until it crosses the BMT (at Shuckstack) and get on the BMT to Davenport Gap and then get back on the AT and come on home to Erwin.

I'm tempted 10-K(really tempted) but other hikes are calling out west. Someone did the FT to the AT(Cheoah Bald) via the Bartram Connector and posted it on line w/ some details and maps. It's something I think U too would enjoy. You're an out of the box creative type hiker. SO MANY possible hikes involving trails with the AT(DRT, BMT, PT, BT, etc) just in the GA, NC, TN, VA states of the AT. Another nice one involves thrus of the AT and LT.

I'm like you. I see such a hike as "fun."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm tempted 10-K(really tempted) but other hikes are calling out west. Someone did the FT to the AT(Cheoah Bald) via the Bartram Connector and posted it on line w/ some details and maps. It's something I think U too would enjoy. You're an out of the box creative type hiker. SO MANY possible hikes involving trails with the AT(DRT, BMT, PT, BT, etc) just in the GA, NC, TN, VA states of the AT. Another nice one involves thrus of the AT and LT.
    Same here - this hike I just finished will probably be my last 2+ week hike until I head to CA to attempt the PCT.

I'll just have to be content with all the trails I'm surrounded by for now. Man I love to be outside.....

My favorite trail but I am biased since I lived about 20 minutes from table rock, until recently moving to the midlands of SC. I used Table Rock, the Foothills, and Pisgah to prepare for my thru. The Eastatoe Gorge trail is a great side trail, especially in the spring. There used to be camping there but I believe it was recently closed to camping.

Another fun alternative is to take the spur from Sassafras to the Mountain Bridge Wilderness. You can end at Caesars Head, after checking out Raven Cliff Falls, or you can continue to Jones Gap SP where you will have a beautiful river walk. This stretch was just designated as part of the Palmetto Trail and continues up the Hospital Rock trail to the pretty place chapel at Camp Greenville. Definitely recommended!

Jumping Off Rock is something to check out if you have the time. It gives you an awesome view of Jocassee. It will require your car unless you want to do some road walking on forest roads.

http://www.palmettoconservation.org/middlesaluda.asp

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...dave-allen.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/16285207.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter'12 View Post
    The Eastatoe Gorge trail is a great side trail, especially in the spring. There used to be camping there but I believe it was recently closed to camping.
    Wow. This sucks. I found the citation that says closed to camping on the DNR web site. I've been down there within the past year and didn't notice any signs posted. Is it posted now? Plausible denial and all that. It seems wrong that it is in a wildlife area and open to day use including hunting but not allowed for camping.

Last time I went I only recall it being posted at the trailhead but that was about 6 months ago. I loved camping there. I was shocked at how many trees had fallen since my prior visit and there were plenty of widow makers still looming.

Here's the DNR take on this: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2013/ju..._eastatoe.html

Consider, it is also the Eastatoe Creek/Gorge Heritage Preserve and Wildlife Management Area NOT just for human use as if that occurs in a bubble but an environmentally sensitive area.

Consider, "The Jocassee Gorges in Pickens and Oconee counties was recently named one of “50 of the World’s Last Great Places—Destinations of a Lifetime” in a special edition of National Geographic magazine." Ask yourself, "what might it take for it to continue being labeled as such?"

How well is the fork mountain trail /spur trail on FT maintained? Has anyone hiked it recently? Thinking sloan's bridge to Burrell's ford section would be a nice weekend hike.

It was a bit overgrown with some low hanging branches in a FEW PLACES(NOT the WHOLE THING!) last time I did it(which was about 2 yrs ago) Ippon.
    Easy to follow though. It wasn't a bushwack! It's a trail w/ tread. Look for the signage at Sloan Bridge around the picnic area. The FT guidebook has maps and descriptions of this FT alternate w. info on locating the THs. Certainly possible to do a nice weekend hike to the Chatooga River on the Fork Mt Tr from S.Bridge and along the river. It's actually my preferred way to do the FT(FT alternate). The extended miles along the river are a scenic bonus doing the FT this way. You miss the side trip to the hatchery though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++